Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywood can learn from African Queen

WhyaDuck

My wife isn't a big old movie fan and neither are alot of people, but one day I caught her watching The African Queen on TV and she was glued to it. The fact that these two aren't pretty got her.....and I said thats what makes this movie so good.

I know the couple in Marty weren't beautiiful..It's something Hollywood needs to do more of. Most people don't look like Movie Stars.......I never thought the Hepburn was amazinly beautiful, although in Philadelphia Story they try to make her just that........I like her in this as both her and Bogart try to look plain and less than average. If this was Tom Cruise and some Hollywood Babe going down the river, the movie would stink.......The love that develops between the ugly old maid and the ugly litttle hermit is what makes this movie. ..and the audience can relate and rejoice in their finding each other.

THe more than beautiful movies of Hollywood can learn from movies such as African Queen and Marty.

I think Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks could pull it off, I think George Clooney and maybe Helen Mirren or Judy Dench or Cate Blanchett are contenders as well.

We have to remember that there is a difference between those who are famous for being non-entities in Hollywood today and then there are actors who are really good at their craft. Unfortunately for them, the non-entities get all the press for doing stupid things and everyone then says "there's no talent in Hollywood anymore". When the truth of the matter is there is a great deal of talent in the old town, it's just that the majority of the truly talented don't worship at the altar of the cult of the celebrity.

And we as a culture, well we can't get enough of that cult.

Maybe there are actors out there that could do roles like this...but Hollywood just doesn't do this much. Everybody has to be young and beautiful, not just movies but TV as well, The Soaps, Prime Time, even the people on the news telling you about the fire or the shooting hav to be beautiful. ....and I think thats what draws people into The African Queen because most peoples grandparents weren't beautiful, or their parents ...most married couples aren't beautiful and alot of teenagers aren't that beautiful either...But what Hollywood misses is that looks aren't that important, not really. Theres alot more to relationships than how you look....So I'm not saying the actors haven't been or aren't out there. Just saying that there are few movies like The African Queen and Marty because Hollywood is all about the young and beautiful. They have to keep cranking out the young beautiful couple movies, even though they don't relate to the audience, where as African Queen and Marty really do. ....So if Hollywood slaps a handsome young guy into a movie with a pretty young girl and it fails completely at the box office, and the producer wonders what went wrong, well maybe they've just beat the young and beautiful angle to death. ....Again, I don't see why the news person telling me about the car wreck has to be young and beautiful, but I guess it's all modern show biz.

Now TV did have Rosanne and the rating show people could relate to her and Goodman together. ....TV also gave us Archie and Edith that got big ratings and they weren't beautiful either.....and Ralph and Alice weren't the most beautiful couple ever........Now TV has gave us a million beautiful couples and I bet you can count on your fingers how many of these shows were any good.

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

I have to say I agree with everything you say, Whyaduck.

A few years back, there was a play called "Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune". If you read the play, the characters are two plain middle aged people who who make a tentative stab at love, despite their feelings of inadequacy.

When Hollywood made it into a movie, I was horrified to find that the leads were going to be played by Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino. The play has had a few famous cast members over the years including Kathy Bates, F. Murray Abraham, Edie Falco, and Stanley Tucci.

Now I am not saying that Pacino and Pfeiffer cannot act in this movie. They might even be good. But what is the point of having such extremely beautiful people in these roles? To suck in as much money as possible, not to be true to an author's vision. And unfortunately, the entire reason for presenting this story to the public is demolished by presenting these two performers as "plain, lonely, middle aged people" It just doesn't play. And the studio ended up with a flop....

> {quote:title=WhyaDuck wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe there are actors out there that could do roles like this...but Hollywood just doesn't do this much. Everybody has to be young and beautiful, not just movies but TV as well, The Soaps, Prime Time, even the people on the news telling you about the fire or the shooting hav to be beautiful. ....and I think thats what draws people into The African Queen because most peoples grandparents weren't beautiful, or their parents ...most married couples aren't beautiful and alot of teenagers aren't that beautiful either...But what Hollywood misses is that looks aren't that important, not really. Theres alot more to relationships than how you look....So I'm not saying the actors haven't been or aren't out there. Just saying that there are few movies like The African Queen and Marty because Hollywood is all about the young and beautiful. They have to keep cranking out the young beautiful couple movies, even though they don't relate to the audience, where as African Queen and Marty really do. ....So if Hollywood slaps a handsome young guy into a movie with a pretty young girl and it fails completely at the box office, and the producer wonders what went wrong, well maybe they've just beat the young and beautiful angle to death. ....Again, I don't see why the news person telling me about the car wreck has to be young and beautiful, but I guess it's all modern show biz.

>

> Now TV did have Rosanne and the rating show people could relate to her and Goodman together. ....TV also gave us Archie and Edith that got big ratings and they weren't beautiful either.....and Ralph and Alice weren't the most beautiful couple ever........Now TV has gave us a million beautiful couples and I bet you can count on your fingers how many of these shows were any good.

I'm just as passionate about old TV as I am about old movies, and I can only name one TV show of yesteryear with two beauties. The Dick Van Dyke Show. :-)

As far as old TV don't forget about That Girl. I agree, they just don't make stars like they did. As much junk that gets talked about the old studio system, I think that it accounts in a large way as to why stars aren't Stars anymore. Of course that's just my opinion. I know there were some really bad things about the old studio systems as well ie: the use of drugs to keep stars awake and to go to sleep and for just about anything else.

There are plenty of talented actors working in Hollywood today who would rival the stars of the classic era.

The problem lies not with them but with us as a culture who worships at the feet of ET, People, US, Access Hollywood and the National Enquirer and can't get enough of the cult of celebrity.

And the cult of celebrity usually centers around people with questionable talent doing provocative things that get reported on as if it was the most important thing to happen since the fall of Rome.

And we as a culture for some reason that escapes me thinks that this is what being a movie star or an actor is all about.

Meanwhile actors like Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Toni Colette, Jake Gyllanhal, Mark Ruffalo, Daniel Craig, Judi Densch, Billy Connelly, Josh Brolin, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and many more that I could name learn their lines, show up on time on the set, act professional and go home at the end of the day and don't live their lives in the glare of the tabloid press.

But they are just as talented as the stars that came before them. Jimmy Stewart thought that Tom Hanks was a superb actor and had no trouble talking about him on the *Tonight Show* and sort of passing the baton to the next generation.

(I apologize if I have some misspelled names in the list)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings