Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Johnson, Someone to remember

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > I always wonder why they didn't have kids. I suspect it might have been a very unhappy thing for them, but who knows, maybe they just wanted to concentrate on each other. He raised millions of dollars for children's charities.

>

> I know, to think what a WONDERFUL father Ben would have made...and how badly the

> world needs more like him!

I know. He would have been a great dad. I think it's one of the reasons I just love him......I need a warm father figure.

His nickname was "Son".

I haven't made my choice yet.... these are from the rental.... I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. After I first saw it, I thought, "OK. I saw it. Pretty good. No big deal. Ben was cool."

But about a week later, I realized I was still thinking about it, mulling it over in my mind. And then a month later....and now, still fascinated. I am 99% sure it will be the double disc set, since I haven't room for the box set, and can get those later if I really feel the need.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I always thought it was so interesting the way Ben's character squats on the ground just at that particular moment. I love all the unique body language you find in Ford movies that you just don't see anywhere else.

Miss G, I found this photo - I don't know if it's our Ben or not, but it's from a Ford film and he's got a nice squat. Maybe you or JackF. recognise it.

Tomorrow I'm goin' downtown! Off to our biggest library to see what I can find.

Searchers05.jpg

Howdy cinemafan! I could lay odds that's John Wayne in a classic scene from The Searchers. Right after this it cuts to him signaling the others with a whistle in one of the film's most

stunning close-ups. Happy hunting at the library!

Thanks, MissG....

I don't think we are up for a road trip to Ossining, this week. It's actually 70 miles from here, and I've been fighting off a fever since yesterday. I would love to see it on a big screen someday. Maybe I can start taking trips into the city again soon and catch a Ford festival or something. I haven't done that for years, since before Alice was born.

Well, Ben should have been in *The Seachers*, anyway. Come to think of it, I don't know if he wore spurs or not. It's not something I remember seeing.

Ben and Harry, Jr. (Dobe) again. Those have got to be the best chaps Ben's got on.

W015aCareyJohnson.JPG

Love those chaps, Cinemafan! I agree, they are the best ones he ever wore.

I don't remember Ben wearing spurs at all....I just looked, and no, he didn't wear them in Wagon Master, which that still is from. I think that is because he is in direct contrast to Clegg, the bad guy, who wore them, and every time he walks into a scene, the spurs jingle and clank menacingly. It's a quite effective way for Ford to point up the Clegg's entrances, and how nasty and mean they are.

HEY there O.K. Kid....

I LOVE that documentary. It is a "forgotten gem" (at least it seems that way to me) I think I like it even more than the Bogdanovich one... just because Ford is WAY more "personable" and chatty even... ha.

I "discovered" this one last fall... in a VERY inexpensive ($5..woo hoo) DVD set ("John Wayne, American Hero") I found it at a MAJOR (yet shall remain unanamed) disount department store known the world over...ha. (here's a hint... it rhymes with SMALL CART...HA.) But I think April found it online as well for about the same price...

The film quality is pretty poor on the DVD set though (it WAS only 5 bucks...ha ( but it is tolerable...about like it is on your link there) As I recall there are 20 Duke films on it ( but the only two you would recognize are Angel and the Badman and McClintock.... the rest are his VERY early and "short" (less than an hour long) cowboy films.... I have watched several of them and they are fun. ( but in truth they are more or less just some little "stepping stones" in his career) Anyway... along w/ all those films... is this documentary. It was a REAL treat to find it. I liked how Duke, Stewart, and Fonda are both the narrators AND the interviewers.... and may also be the reason Ford is so much more willing to talk... I don't know...

Anyway.. Its an oldie but a goodie. :-) Thanks for posting.

> Anyway... along w/ all those films... is this documentary. It was a REAL treat to find it. I liked how Duke, Stewart, and Fonda are both the narrators AND the interviewers.... and may also be the reason Ford is so much more willing to talk... I don't know...

>

Hi ladies,

Ford's grandson produced it, which is mainly why he was so cooperative. Wish they

would restore it!

My my you are Johnny on the spot. I just saw this scene in "SHANE." Didn't know Ben was in it. He's not a very nice hombre in this. Is it wrong of me to like that close-up George Stevens gave him when he smeared the blood off his face and got up to fight sommore? Hmmm...mmm.....

Shane-a maven-

I feel exactly the same way......

I love him as a bad guy. I enjoy watching him menace Shane. I enjoy watching him get smacked down to the floor. Oooh. the guilt is delicious.....rooting against Shane??!!! I think I am in love.......