Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Johnson, Someone to remember

Thomas Mitchell, John Ford, Clark Gable, Robert Montgomery, And John Wayne

Wow..... what a great photo.

Ha... they look like a "reverse" of a cellphone signal bar.... turn the photo around... and I would LOVE that to be my cellphone bar...ha. (but then I would be sad when I lost reception somewhere and one by one they all started to disappear.... ha. :D

(Ok.. I was CLEARLY on here WAY too late last night... I think I need to sign off NOW... I must be feeling a bit... whacko) ha.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Thomas Mitchell, John Ford, Clark Gable, Robert Montgomery, And John Wayne

>

> Wow..... what a great photo.

>

> Ha... they look like a "reverse" of a cellphone signal bar.... turn the photo around... and I would LOVE that to be my cellphone bar...ha. (but then I would be sad when I lost reception somewhere and one by one they all started to disappear.... ha. :D

>

> (Ok.. I was CLEARLY on here WAY too late last night... I think I need to sign off NOW... I must be feeling a bit... whacko) ha.

If that picture was my cellphone bar I'd be dead now from cancer for sleeping with it next to

my head.

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

With Jana Davi from *Fort Bowie* (Her best line is "I am good to look upon. My flesh is strong, my skin is smooth. I'd be good woman for you.") I can relate, Jana....

Photobucket

Also from *Fort Bowie* (though the picture was labeled "Fort Bravo")

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I have seen the first 10 minutes of the movie, which were promising. Then the video cut out somehow and I could not get it to play any more. :(

I hate when that happens! At least you found those gorgeous stills....

Hey, Cinemafan!

I am sorry I didn't get back to you before, I was on a little vacation.

Yes, It's from *One-eyed Jacks*. I love this picture..... It is so GORGEOUS! Ben is long and lean and manly, and I just love the casual way he is getting ready to throw down his cigarette. Did a man ever look better in holster and spurs? I think this still is from the scene in which he is either casing a bank or getting ready to rob it.

If you do see One-eyed Jacks, get ready for a nasty mean portrayal from Ben, because he is as cold and hard as they come in this movie. I saw it years ago and just hated him!

Now it makes me love him more, and I appreciate what a good actor he was, because his portrayal of Bob Amory is as far from his real personality as could be. He is really super in this one. I love the movie, even Brando's crazy performance, which is almost funny, but in the end really works.

The one drawback is that there is not a good print of One eyed Jacks anywhere out there.... I have some caps, but they are pretty terrible- blurry and they look like a bad copy of a copy.

A shame Paramount destroyed all the extra footage, upwards of 5 hours , that Brando shot on "One Eyed Jacks",the film changed quite a bit, it started out as a story of Billy the Kid and Sam Peckinpah did one of the first drafts and Stanley Kubrick was hired to direct and when Brando fired him and took the directors reins, things went downhill from there. Paramount finally took the picture away from Brando due to his inexperience behind the camera. But the film does have it's moments...

Fred,

It's probably a good thing you don't live in the City of Angels anymore as I would be on your doorstep asking questions like there was no tomorrow.

fred-

I second lzcutter's interest in your knowledge. I would be pestering you no end myself.... :)

As for One eyed Jacks, I really do wonder what Brando's original version would have been like, or if someone had kept the extra footage so we could see a "director's cut" or non-cut as the case may be.

I have read a lot of stories about Brando sitting on the beach waiting for just the right wave to come in before shooting, but I wonder how much of this is true. Ben has a speech halfway through the movie in which he says something like, "When are we gonna get moving on this thing? Let's just go in and kill everybody and take that bank" and Brando rejoinders, "Ambushing ain't my style, Bob" and Ben replies, "Your style's a might _slow_ for my liking, Rio." I always wonder if Ben had a little real irritation to propel his performance in this movie......

Again, I say it's too bad that no one ever interviewed Ben and others who worked on the movie to find out the real story. Although I don't know if Ben would have told if he found Brando difficult..... it doesn't seem like his style to complain.

Miriam Colon is still alive and could be interviewed, and I would love to know more about her anyway, since she is so fascinating in her own right..... I don't know if any of the rest of the supporting players are still around.....

izcutter/Jack, Thanks for nice words. Would love to talk movies if I still lived in Hollywood. I remember reading in one the big mags of the day Look or Life or another one. They did a spread on OEJ and they talked about Brando sitting on the beach waiting for the right wave to come rolling in. The only person who commented on Brando and who wrote the final script to my knowledge was the late Karl Malden "There is only one answer-Marlon Brando is a genius in our time". So the final cut was 300 minutes and Paramount cut it to 141 minutes....

Holly, I completely agree. He already shot the footage,why destroy it? It's not like video tape where you could record over it and reuse it.. How much space could it take up? It sounds like it's possible they did it for spite and to put him in his place. At least that's my opinion. I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being a good western not a great one. I'm sure there will be some who disagree with that but that's why they make more then one flavor ice cream. We all have different taste. When I lived in Hollywood in the late 60's on Franklin and LaBrea. there was a woman who had worked as an extra on "OEJ" that also lived in one of the apts and she had only good things to say about working with Brando.I remember she had some pictures with Brando and Malden and Katy Jurado and her on the set...

Well, with all this talk about One-Eyed Jacks, I'm definitely dyin' to watch it again, and I think I may have a copy of it somewhere, but I have to look for it.

That neighbor of yours in the 60s sure was lucky to have had those photos from the set. I'm sure she's still holding on to them.