Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Johnson, Someone to remember

Did anyone watch Mighty Joe Young the other day? This really is an underrated movie, I think, and Ben Johnson in particular is very good in it, bringing to it both his cowboy skills and also that aww, shucks quality that he could do so well. Plus he gets to be a hero and help rescue the children in danger. :D

Yippie Ki Ya, just bid and won a Lobby card 11x14 of "Wagonmaster" last night on emovieposter,com The picture in the card is OK, I think its Fred Libby as he is grabbed by the Indians after he attacks the Indian girl,but the picture on the left side is Ben Johnson sitting on his horse With the title in bold yellow letter across the bottom. This will be a nice addition to my poster collection and when the dvd comes out, well I'll just be living in high cotton. Boy, these days it doesn't take much to get me excited. Just though i would share my Ben Johnson win...

Hey fred! Congratulations! We'd love to see it if you have the capability to post it....

I've seen that lobby card .... it's a beauty. Hope you enjoy it. Only 47 days until Wagon Master comes out . Yes, I'm counting the days...... sigh. :)

Here are some caps to get you in the mood for September 15th.

I love the credits from Ford's westerns of this time period. The opening of a John Ford film is always exciting. In *Wagon Master*, we get a little prologue of the Cleggs robbing, killing and escaping before the credits ever role. The story is actually continuing under the credits as they appear on the screen. We get the whole story set up right from the beginning:

Here comes Elder Wiggs (Ward Bond) and the wagon train:

Photobucket

_Then the Cleggs, ranged along the skyline:_

Photobucket

I get a little thrill whenever Ford's name pops up in front of a beautiful vista. This time, it's a vista with Ben and Dobe riding into view:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I adore the wistful look on Dobe's face:

Photobucket

Our hero:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turns out our hero is a horse trader......

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Striking a deal with the sheriff:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Only one thing about that horse....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

He doesn't like whistling.

When it comes in I'll get my son to show me if I can post it. I'ld like to post some of my posters and lobby cards also I have a print of Gary Cooper from 1930 by Norman Rockwell. Don't know if anyone is familiar with this print. It seems Rockwell was being given a tour at the studio and he saw Gary Cooper being made up by some old stage hand while sitting on his saddle in his western outfit and the stage hand is applying lipstick. Rockwell made a quick sketch and went home and it made the cover of the Saturday Evening Post on May 24, 1930.

Outstanding, that's the one. Wish it was the original after seeing that price tag. Mine measures about 12x14. No one could touch Rockwell when it came to this kind of art work..Thanks cinemafan.

I got mine on ebay for seven or eight dollars along with another Rockwell drawing of Gary Cooper, this time it was in black pencil drawing of Cooper standing. It was from "Along Came Jones"

Cinemafan, Jack, are you aware of emovieposter.com. That's where i won the "Wagonmaster" lobby card. They have posters or cards at times of Ben Johnson. Right now they have for auction 6 lobby cards of "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" up for auction at $ 68.00, it ends tomorrow. They did have one of Ben about a month ago from "Last Picture Show", too expensive for my blood. Just though I would mention it in case you were not aware of them....

Those are great, CF! The one from SWAYR looks almost like an old tintype, and I've never seen it before.

And the one from OEJ is to die for.... somehow, his looks in that movie, even though he plays bad to the bone, are very appealing to me. I have some screencaps from OEJ that are really blurry. My disc is obviously a copy of a copy, apparently there are no really good versions out there.... but if you guys want I will post some of the slightly better captures I made.

Thanks for the info on eposters, fred. I haven't looked there, so maybe I will peek in and see what they have.... I broke my heart on the last ebay photo I bid on..... ... some rich person nabbed it. But I think I am ready to try again. :D

Photobucket

"Sure sorry bout that, Rio."

Photobucket

Photobucket

"We got in on the tail end of that, and there wasn't nothin' we could do."

Photobucket

"You know me, Rio. If there was anything I could of done, I would a been in there like a streak. "

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Say, they really did mash that hand up, didn't they?"

Photobucket

"Looks like it might be all broke up..."

Photobucket

"I guess you won't be doin' no business with that for quite a spell."

Photobucket

"You might as well go on outta here, Bob."

Photobucket

" You know it ain't that, Rio. I'm jes' thinkin' of you."

Photobucket

Message was edited by: JackFavell

At *Puente del Diablo* (Devil's Bridge):

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Get that stinkin' fish away from me."

Photobucket

I'm through with the fish, Harve."

Photobucket

"And those damn waves floppin' in all day long."

Photobucket

Photobucket

"How's the hand, Rio?"

Photobucket

"I've been wonderin' if we ought to lay around here anymore. I been thinkin' a lot about all that kale waitin' there in that bank."

Photobucket

"I'll tell you what we're gonna do. We're all gonna lay for that sheriff outside his house some sunup, cut him down with scatter guns and then take that bank."

Photobucket

"That ain't my style, Bob."

Photobucket

"It ain't, huh? "

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Well, maybe you better change it......

Photobucket

.....cause your "style" seems a touch slow to me."

Photobucket

"And I'm gettin' tired of listenin' to that bull."

Photobucket

"We rode nine hundred miles because you're supposed to be a big man with an iron..."

Photobucket

Photobucket

"But the way things are goin', I think even +I+ can out pull you, now."

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

"You probably could get six into me...."

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Before I got that one into you."

Photobucket

Gorgeous screencaps, Mrs Johnson. And I know just what you mean about the

thrill of the opening credits in John Ford films. I get all goose pimply whenever

I see "Directed by John Ford". The joy never palls.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Gorgeous screencaps, Mrs Johnson. And I know just what you mean about the

> thrill of the opening credits in John Ford films. I get all goose pimply whenever

> I see "Directed by John Ford". The joy never palls.

It's especially thrilling when his credit is accompanied by a nice bugle call...... I get a shiver up my spine. :)