Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Johnson, Someone to remember

lulu2u

Thar he be!!!! You have a sharp eye, Mr Grimes.

LOOOK!! I never noticed the name of the town before!!!

My sweet Willie's hometown, Claremore.

Whenever Willie would arrive in some far-flung outpost, be it Manchuria, Mandalay or Manhattan,

his first question as the reporters and welcomers greeted him would be "Anybody here from

Claremore?" :x

OK, back to Ben.

Whenever Willie would arrive in some far-flung outpost, be it Manchuria, Mandalay

or Manhattan, his first question as the reporters and welcomers greeted him would

be "Anybody here from Claremore?"

Well, Benny is also an Okey, just like...

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > Doesn't he? I'm blushing just looking at the pictures of him. I've been saving these caps up for special. I'll post some more later, if no one minds.

> >

>

> Mind? We'd mind if you DIDN'T post them. :)

OK. You asked for it. I've got about 180 of them.... :)

> > I have a thing for his eyebrow.... he has a habit of raising one eyebrow and it slays me..... he is such a gorgeous hunk of man anyway.... but with the eyebrow raised.....mmm..... mmmm. I'd follow him anywhere.

> >

>

> You mean all Ben has to do is crook his little eyebrow and you'll come a runin'? :D

You bet.

> > What am I saying? He wouldn't have to raise his eyebrow.

> >

>

> So you'll just be runin' eyebrow or no eyebrow. Poor Victor Mature, he grew all

> those extry eyebrows for nothin'.

Ha! Perhaps I could find time for him during rodeos.....

> Why do I feel compelled to talk "country" in a Ben Johnson thread? :D

>

> > In that post you sent me, Ben has his hands crossed over one another, and this is a very characteristic pose of his when sitting on his horse. If he's in a scene without too much dialogue for him, he will just end up with his hands crossed over like that, listening. I like how Ford always shoots him from up under like that, too. Just Ben and the sky - very heroic.

> >

>

> Which side does he part his hair? Ha!! I'm teasing because I'm just as bad. Actually, he usually

> has a little lop of hair that falls over his forehead doesn't he?

Yes..... sigh.

Like this:

Photobucket

or this:

Photobucket

or _this_:

Photobucket

You guys really have to stop me. I am gonna O.D.

How did you DO that???

When I saw you were closing in on 4000 posts, I checked Ben's filmography to see what movies of his I had on DVD. I wanted to select one you haven't been posting caps for. I saw Oklahoma! and looked to see if he was given a close-up, but I couldn't find one. But I did find him. :D I also found:

oklahoma1.jpg

Have you checked this out?:

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi3401777945/

You are a doll, Mr. Grimes!

Now why on earth would you have the movie Oklahoma? Oh yes, your great love of .........musical theatre.

Isn't GG so cute in that pretty pink dress?

Hey, GG was that close to Ben? I hope they never met.... I'd have to be jealous.

You are a doll, Mr. Grimes!

Now let's not start any rumors. Don't make me post rap videos.

Now why on earth would you have the movie Oklahoma? Oh yes, your great love

of .........musical theatre.

You've got it! I'm a phony and a fraud! That doesn't make me unique around these here

parts though, Missy.

Isn't GG so cute in that pretty pink dress?

I like her big pink bow. :)

Hey, GG was that close to Ben? I hope they never met.... I'd have to be jealous.

No, no, no. That's not Ben, that's Molo.

Did you click on that link I provided? Do it!

GASP! Will was gorgeous! And those are so beautiful.....every one. I have fallen completely for cowboys.... what am I doing in Connecticut????

According to one of the biographies, Ben did meet your sweet Willie at some point. Rogers showed him some roping tricks. I don't know any more than that. Ben would have had to have been under seventeen years old....

>

> Have you checked this out?:

>

> http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi3401777945/

Oh my goodness!! Ben was on an Alfie show???? Is this from the 4th Season

that's coming out on DVD this fall???? I just watched it up until Ben makes

his exit---I don't want to see the whole thing if this is going to be on DVD soon.

I never saw Ben talking this long---you know he was reminding me a little bit

of Gary as he spoke. Jackie, you'll die....

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

>

> According to one of the biographies, Ben did meet your sweet Willie at some point. Rogers showed him some roping tricks. I don't know any more than that. Ben would have had to have been under seventeen years old....

Oooh, thank you for telling me---I always wondered since they were both from Oklahoma,

but I wasn't sure if Ben was too young for him. That makes me glad. :)

Oh my goodness!! Ben was on an Alfie show???? Is this from the 4th Season

that's coming out on DVD this fall???? I just watched it up until Ben makes

his exit---I don't want to see the whole thing if this is going to be on DVD soon.

:D Yes, it's from season four, so it will be on the next DVD. Hitch's opening is priceless.

>

> :D Yes, it's from season four, so it will be on the next DVD. Hitch's opening is priceless.

He was hilarious! So adorable! I thought William Demarest's western accent was pretty good,

too! I can't WAIT to see this show. Jackie---if you ever thought to get "Alfred Hitchcock Presents"

on DVD---this is the season to tempt you. Think of the screenshots! :D

It should be coming out in October, judging by previous years.

> Did you click on that link I provided? Do it!

Sufferin' catfish! How's a girl supposed to watch a simple western television program with you harping at 'er all the time?! :)

No really, I had to get my daughter to bed, and then my computer crashed......

I started watching, and I'm not done yet, but I wanted to let you know, you are aces....

MissG-

Have you seen this? I did a cross search for Ben Johnson and Will Rogers and found it. There is a picture here but I can't copy it. It's lovely.

http://www.willrogers.com/kids/hunt/Scavenger%20Hunt_040308.pdf

Also found this:

http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/print.aspx?ArticleID=d3cf0b41-103c-464d-b131-a65db6545ece

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Hey, son, do you know that man has a warrant for you on charges of manslaughter?"

Photobucket

"A lot of people use that word......

Photobucket

'manslaughter'.....

Photobucket

....pretty freely."

Photobucket

"Boy, why don't you tell us about this. Maybe we could help you...."

Photobucket

"Well, it could be that a fella had a run-in with a Yankee down in Texas...."

Photobucket

"Somethin' bout the fella's...

Photobucket

sister."

Photobucket

"And it could be that the Yankee drawed a gun and started shootin'...."

Photobucket

"....n' got himself killed."

Photobucket

( nodding )

:x :x :x :x

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> MissG-

>

> Have you seen this? I did a cross search for Ben Johnson and Will Rogers and found it. There is a picture here but I can't copy it. It's lovely.

>

> http://www.willrogers.com/kids/hunt/Scavenger%20Hunt_040308.pdf

>

No! I never saw this though I've been on that site many times---thank you!

> Also found this:

>

> http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/print.aspx?ArticleID=d3cf0b41-103c-464d-b131-a65db6545ece

>

> Message was edited by: JackFavell

I'm in tears!!! There are literally HUNDREDS of stories like that about Will. He really

put his money and energy and whole being into where his mouth was. Anywhere he

heard working folk were suffering, first here and even abroad, if he could do anything about

it he DID it. A perfect illustration is during the "dust bowl" depression years, a family

of Oklahoman's who'd recently arrived in California showed up on Will's doorstep and

they had nothing to eat and nowhere to go. There was a dinner party going on and Will

excused himself to see them and when he came back he was asked about it and he

told them he gave the man $800 and his guest exclaimed over this generosity.

His reaction: "That's all I had on me!"

Thank you, Miss F.

Jackie, I posted this ages ago somewhere on the board but I'm not sure

if you saw it. It was taken in Cannes in 1995. Left to Righ: Harry Carey, Jr.,

Claire Trevor, Carroll Baker and Ben Johnson

1995CannesFordTribute-DobeClaireCar.jpg

OH! I never did see that one! THANK YOU! I am so grateful. I thought there were no more pics for me to find! And I just love this one!

Chris, you are right, Trevor looks fantastic!

I have a few pics coming in the mail, if I can get hubby to let me use his scanner, I will be copying them for you guys.

I am instantaneously jealous of Carroll. Look at that protective stance, he's such a sweetheart. I get the impression he was a very warm, sweet person. I want him to hug me!

I would give anything to have seen Dobe and him out strolling..... I bet the French fell all over themselves......

Archived