Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben Johnson, Someone to remember

lulu2u

Oh gosh, you are killing me today! No, I didn't have it. I actually have to look up *Kid Blue* now, because I don't remember it at all on his movie list. Must find it....

I meant to reply to Frank about that Hitch episode, too. I just loved it. William Demarest was so much more than Uncle Charlie, wasn't he? He and Roscoe are so charming in that show! And Ben's increasing bemusement over them is just great. Wish I could take caps of him in his uniform off of Hulu.

Wasn't Hitch a scream? The old hayseed......

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Oh gosh, you are killing me today! No, I didn't have it. I actually have to look up *Kid Blue* now, because I don't remember it at all on his movie list. Must find it....

Kid Blue (1973) doesn't seem to be available on video, but it is a Fox film, so it may show up on the Fox Movie Channel one of these days...

2hzplxv.jpg

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

>

> I meant to reply to Frank about that Hitch episode, too. I just loved it. William Demarest was so much more than Uncle Charlie, wasn't he? He and Roscoe are so charming in that show! And Ben's increasing bemusement over them is just great. Wish I could take caps of him in his uniform off of Hulu.

>

Well, if I'm still here when the DVD comes out, I'll take some for you.

> Wasn't Hitch a scream? The old hayseed......

A wild west koala bear. :)

Dice, Steele and Missed-a-Shot should have gotten billing in their movies. As for Fury, Rex and Flicka, they may not have gotten billing, but their names are well known.

Interesting article - I did not recognize the locale of Edendale in California, so I had to check it out. Here's an article if anyone is interested. So much to learn when I visit here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edendale,_Los_Angeles,_California

Oh my gosh, Cinemafan! Everything is pulling together in my mind after reading this article you posted.

I have watched three documentaries in the last few weeks. First of all, in the Brownlow-Gill *Hollywood* doc, they talked about Edendale, I am almost sure....it's on youtube, so I will have to go back and check if that is indeed the town. I am quite sure that a small suburban area like it was overrun by actors, cowboys, crew people, etc, and the townspeople thought they were ruining their neighborhood! This was all at the very beginning of the film companies coming to California.

Secondly, I noticed in the Frances Marion documentary that aired a while back on TCM, a shot from *The Love Light* with Mary Pickford. The shot caught my eye, because I had taken a screen cap from a John Ford movie that I thought matched it almost exactly. It was of a Spanish looking mission or church tower with bells.

Now that I read this article, could it possibly be that the mission San Gabriel church tower mentioned in your article about Edendale is the one in the Pickford film AND the Ford film??! Looking at the picture from the mission link, I can't tell. I'll have to go back through my pics and look. I will also look at the Frances Marion documentary again.

Anyway, thanks for posting that! I love discovering this stuff.

Did anyone watch Wild Times on FMC yesterday? Ben Johnson and Harrey Carey Jr. look much older than I'm used to seeing them, but they're such naturals in the genre, you can't help but cheer for them. I didn't get to watch all the way through, but I'm sure it is going to be shown again soon.

news_fa2003_prof03.jpg

They came from a little newspaper-like magazine called The New Captain George's Whizzbang. I am not sure but I believe this issue was from 1969 - there is an interview with Ben, and in it they say that he has just made *The Wild Bunch* but had not yet completed *The Undefeated*.

There is a small interview with him, mostly just the author's impressions of Ben. I was struck at how down to earth he was. It said that he liked having time off because besides riding he liked to fish and hunt, and having smaller parts in movies gave him time for it. It also said that he made quite a good living outside films by ranching and raising horses. He didn't like the trends toward violence and nudity in films of that time. And he also didn't really like the Hollywood scene much either. Too much rushing about for his liking.

The author said that although he and his wife Carol had no children, they had been happily married for 27 years. Ben is quoted as saying, "If she'll have me, we ought to have another twenty seven."

The weird thing is, they did. Exactly.

Well, I found that photo of the church bells I was looking for, possibly from Edendale?

The original shot of the bells ringing was in Victor Sjostrom's *The Scarlet Letter* (1926):

Photobucket

Now here is the other shot. It is from *They Were Expendable* which was shot in the Florida keys and Rhode Island (!)

Photobucket

So my question is, did Ford use a shot from the other movie? I'm guessing it was from the studio archive. Or was this church somewhere near Hollywood close enough to get some footage of it for both movies? Where is this church front? Is it still there? Was it an actual building? Perhaps it was built for Sjostrom? The location for The Scarlet Letter is listed as Iverson Ranch, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA. I don't have the movie, and don't remember well enough if there are any other shots of the whole church. It is definitely NOT the mission San Gabriel in Edendale, which the original studios patterned their front entrances after. But it is in the same style....It does look something like the Old Stone Church at San Juan Capistrano, but a different shaped bell tower.

Ahhh. I guess we'll never know.

lol! That is positively one of my FAVORITE moments in all of SHANE. It's great that it's

all done without a word of dialogue and it's kind of hard to read if it's playing for cuteness

or menace. I think it's cuteness, I like to think Ben really fancies the young girl. A signal

his wild and wooly days are soon to end? :)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> lol! That is positively one of my FAVORITE moments in all of SHANE. It's great that it's

> all done without a word of dialogue and it's kind of hard to read if it's playing for cuteness

> or menace. I think it's cuteness, I like to think Ben really fancies the young girl. A signal

> his wild and wooly days are soon to end? :)

Oh, you read my mind! I completely agree! I used to see it as menace, but now I think it is a two-fold scene...... He's ready to quit his bad ways....

like another not so bad man:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Congratulations on 18,000. Here's to many, many more......

Oh my goodness, now I'm really teary eyed----first Will, now Tom. .

But this is a real party, I'm enjoying it here. :)

Thank you Miss Favell, it's folks like you and Mr Grimes that make it easy to babble on.

Archived