Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Landis, Guest Programmer (3/16)


Recommended Posts

John%20Landis%20copy%20smaller.jpg

 

Writer and director John Landis sits down with Robert Osborne on March 16 to present some of his favorite movies:

 

* The Navigator

* Fatty Arbuckle Comedy Shorts: Mabel and Fatty’s Wash Day (1915), Fatty and Mable’s Simple Life (1915) and He Did and He Didn’t (1916).

* The Brain That Wouldn't Die

* Show Boat (1936)

* Frenzy

 

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=218673

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I admit I've never been able to watch *The Twilight Zone* because of the accident that happened on set.

 

I don't know that it was John Landis' fault, I really don't know that much about him or the movie, but the idea that people were killed on the set makes it too distressing to watch as entertainment. Same with Brandon Lee and *The Crow* .

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=jcphelps wrote:}{quote}

> Well I for one will be watching, I appreciate all his picks, especially the 1934 Showboat. I have been waiting for that to re air, I missed half of it one day. So I'm thrilled.

 

It's actually _1936_. But the important thing is that it's a great adaptation of the Jerome Kern musical, a version which some consider better in some ways than the more widely seen MGM version of the 50s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How utterly tasteless is it of TCM to allow John Landis to select The Brain That Wouldn't Die? I tuned in mid-movie, and when it went off and I realized that **** Landis was co-hosting, I wanted to throw something at the screen.

 

Vic Morrow and 7 year-old My-Ca Dinh Le were DECAPITATED by the helicopter blades in the Twilight Zone accident. Don't tell me I picked up on this but no one at TCM figured it out before air time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=spazhoward wrote:}{quote}

> How utterly tasteless is it of TCM to allow John Landis to select The Brain That Wouldn't Die? I tuned in mid-movie, and when it went off and I realized that **** Landis was co-hosting, I wanted to throw something at the screen.

>

> Vic Morrow and 7 year-old My-Ca Dinh Le were DECAPITATED by the helicopter blades in the Twilight Zone accident. Don't tell me I picked up on this but no one at TCM figured it out before air time.

 

You're conveniently forgetting that six-year-old Renee Shin-Yi Chen is also just as dead due to the copter's crash. I don't know that her death was by decapitation, but that would just be splitting hairs (yeah, the ironic pun is intentional).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't watch Landis on TCM last night. Very insensitive to have this person as a guest. I never liked him after what happened to Morrow and the 2 little children. That was the most tragic thing and 3 people were lost due to negligence on that set. They should have played Blackboard Jungle all evening long for Mr. Landis to view.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny how all those Landis haters say nothing when TCM runs a Busby Berkley film. He killed three people too, only drunk and with a car, and then got off with a courtroom act and a corrupt lawyer.

 

Is your objection raised out of ignorance or out of hypocracy, or do you think Landis intended to kill his actors?

 

I wouldn't know. I don't read here much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

John Landis was just doing his job. What happend was an accident, people make mistakes. I do think that it was wrong for Landis to hire the two children illegally but we all do stupid things at some point in our lives. He didn't intend for it to happen. Things like this happen all the time in hollywood, people make the wrong choices but for some reason only Landis is accused of murder. What happend was sad and painful to think about but I won't blame anybody for what happend because nobody intended for it to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Many Hollywood types got off with good lawyers. But they werent Guest Programmers

 

Martha Stewart, on the other hand, was railroaded, did her time, and still came back to be a Guest Programmer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Kubrickbuff wrote:}{quote}

> John Landis was just doing his job. What happened was an accident, people make mistakes. I do think that it was wrong for Landis to hire the two children illegally but we all do stupid things at some point in our lives. He didn't intend for it to happen. Things like this happen all the time in hollywood, people make the wrong choices but for some reason only Landis is accused of murder. What happend was sad and painful to think about but I won't blame anybody for what happend because nobody intended for it to happen.

 

A director isn't like some guy on an assembly line, banging together toasters in the Proctor-Silex plant the way he was told. He has tremendos latitude to do things however he or she wishes, and having a couple of kids on the set working at two in the morning -- in violation of several state child-labor and welfare laws -- is his doing, and no one else's. As is instructing the pyrotechnics crew to fire extra-big explosions, and ordering the helicopter to keep flying lower, lower, lower, as Landis is reported to have done.

 

 

> {quote:title=Chumbley wrote:}{quote}

> It's funny how all those Landis haters say nothing when TCM runs a Busby Berkley film. He killed three people too, only drunk and with a car, and then got off with a courtroom act and a corrupt lawyer.

>

> Is your objection raised out of ignorance or out of hypocracy, or do you think Landis intended to kill his actors?

 

If that were a truly mitigating factor, there wouldn't be laws on the books against negligent homicide.

 

As for others in the entertainment buisiness who've caused deaths, what about Clark Gable, who supposedly killed someone with his car, only to have MGM guarantee a low-level employee a lifetime's finiancial security if he'd take the rap for Gable and go to jail for the deed?

 

TCM would have some awfully big gaps in its schedule if they were suddenly prohibited from showing Gable's films.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is interested - here is a link that explains everything that happened. It is a lengthy article. Landis should not have been asked to be a guest programmer - reading the account of what went on and at the trial as well, would make those in favor of him perhaps have a different viewpoint.

 

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/not_guilty/twilight_zone/1.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

But he didn't intend for what happend to those children so what's your point? Yes, he made a mistake but he was just following his vision. He orderded the helicopter to go lower because that's what he wanted. I do agree that he shouldn't have had the kids working but I am not going to blame him because he didn't intend for it to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...