Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reformed Criminal heroes: Boston Blackie, Falcon, Saint, Lone Wolf, etc.

I am really very fond of this sub-genre, in which the hero, an ex-criminal himself, is usually framed and is usually the prime suspect anyway, who must stay clear of both the police and the real perpetrators and clear himself of the charges. Thank you TCM for showing so many of these.

I agree. The Thin Man series is probably the most famous one in film history, although these others have many more entries. I've really enjoyed all of the LONE WOLF films especially.

I also thought the WHISTLER films - which I don't really prefer - were an interesting twist on the anthology notion, often using a burned-out ex-something of a character for Chester Morris to play, someone who was likely at odds with the Law, too.

I think it's the Falcon that has the Brother Takes Over for a few films, presaging MAVERICK by a couple of decades. A pretty interesting twist, although I don't prefer that series.

We've seen the "Private Eye" often cast in such an "at odds with the Law" sidelight, but seldom as an ex-con. Even Sherlock Holmes routinely is scoffed at by the constabularies and Scotland Yard for the first 55 minutes of his hour-long adventures.

Do we have current series of this ilk? Surely we must...