Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Like the Poster who asked if there had been another Thread abt The Three Faces of Eve, is there an existing Thread abt A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

I was so happy that TCM showed this wonderful movie. Yes it's flawed, but you'd have to watch it many times to catch the little things that might have been better thought out.

But Peggy Ann Garner's superb, wistful, dreamy performance - what can I say? She was the perfect embodiment of Francie with the imagination of her father and the practicality of her mother.

The standout supporting cast, Lloyd Nolan with that FACE full of the emotions of Officer McShane, and of course, the touching performance of Joan Blondell.

I hope you love this film as much as I do. Thank you TCM, I taped it upstairs and downstairs.

Hi Poinciana. . .

I'm glad I found another lover of this wonderful, yesteryear saga, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn",

as I've mentioned in another thread how much this movie comes so close to my own life.....

I've always said that my Dad was the 'many colorful, helium-filled balloons', but my Mom

was the 'anchor' to which the balloons were tied to . . .but they worked together very well,

as my Mom helped to solidify his 'dreams', Dad helped her to come out of her 'shell'.

And of course there was my younger brother, to whom I was very close to.

We grew up in the City of Chicago and had many friends. . . and just like Francie,

I totally enjoyed school, too.

The Christmas scene, when they are walking up the tenement stairs, carrying the Christmas

tree that Francie & Neely had caught, singing 'Silent Night', always brings a tear to my eyes,

as Dad would always break out in singing & so infectuous was it, that one couldn't help

but to join in & start singing along, until we'd all break out in laughter, because someone

would always go 'off key'. . . ha ha ha !

Sorry for going on, but I just had to share. Yes, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' is definately

my movie. . .I so Enjoy it and see it whenever it comes on.

Ugaarte

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> Like the Poster who asked if there had been another Thread abt The Three Faces of Eve, is there an existing Thread abt A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

>

> I was so happy that TCM showed this wonderful movie. Yes it's flawed, but you'd have to watch it many times to catch the little things that might have been better thought out.

>

> But Peggy Ann Garner's superb, wistful, dreamy performance - what can I say? She was the perfect embodiment of Francie with the imagination of her father and the practicality of her mother.

>

> The standout supporting cast, Lloyd Nolan with that FACE full of the emotions of Officer McShane, and of course, the touching performance of Joan Blondell.

>

> I hope you love this film as much as I do. Thank you TCM, I taped it upstairs and downstairs.

Love the book, love the movie. One of my all time favorites. Make Johnny Nolan a nasty drunk and add eleven more kids and you have my mother's life story.

FOX intended to film the B'way musical version of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. Talks were set for Marilyn Monroe to play the Aunt Sissy role (played on B'way by Shirley Booth) but the deal collapsed upon the death of Monroe. The musical score is so wonderful is sad that this version was never filmed.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> FOX intended to film the B'way musical version of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. Talks were set for Marilyn Monroe to play the Aunt Sissy role (played on B'way by Shirley Booth) but the deal collapsed upon the death of Monroe. The musical score is so wonderful is sad that this version was never filmed.

I had no idea there was a B'way version. I hated the TV one, and I pretty much hate all remakes of the classics, but to see it as a musical may be different. I know my mom would have loved it as a musical. Musicals were her fave. :-)

gorgiegirl, the B'way musical version of the story has a wonderful unappreciated score. The album is still available on Sony CD. Johnnie Johnston, who was formerly married to Katherine Grayson co-stars in the show. As far as I know the musical version of the story has never been revived. I vaguely remember the TV non-musical version and it couldn't compare with the 1945 film.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> gorgiegirl, the B'way musical version of the story has a wonderful unappreciated score. The album is still available on Sony CD. Johnnie Johnston, who was formerly married to Katherine Grayson co-stars in the show. As far as I know the musical version of the story has never been revived. I vaguely remember the TV non-musical version and it couldn't compare with the 1945 film.

The TV version had a good cast but the chemistry just wasn't there for me as it was in the original. The three main characters were played by fine actors in their own right, Cliff Robertson, Diane Baker and Pamela Ferdin, and I like each of them as actors, just not in this TV version of ATGIB. I always go into the remakes with an open mind, but maybe I'm just to biased to completely give myself over to them. lol

Someday maybe I'll get to hear the musical. :-)

Have you ever read The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio by Teri Ryan? If not, make haste too your library or bookstore and read it (I think they made a movie out of it). If you don't already know, it's the story of a family in the fifties with ten kids and an alcoholic father and the brave and wonderful mother who kept the family afloat by entering advertising jingle contests and winning many of them.

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> Have you ever read The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio by Teri Ryan? If not, make haste too your library or bookstore and read it (I think they made a movie out of it). If you don't already know, it's the story of a family in the fifties with ten kids and an alcoholic father and the brave and wonderful mother who kept the family afloat by entering advertising jingle contests and winning many of them.

Hey, thanks for recommending that book! I'll look for it on Amazon on the cheap. lol

My grandmother wasn't so lucky to win contests. She could barely afford the stamps to enter, never mind the envelopes. lol She worked like a dog most of her life to support the family. My mother and her siblings saving grace was music and play acting, which my grandmother fully encouraged in them. :-)

I still remember as a kid that in a Bugs Bunny cartoon that "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" book saved Bugs from being mauled by a pack of dogs. The dogs ran toward Brooklyn after seeing the title. It was the ending of that cartoon short.

Seriously, I've seen the movie twice and like it very much. That was my only movie other than "Bright Eyes" that I've seen James Dunn and liked him in it.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> I still remember as a kid that in a Bugs Bunny cartoon that "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" book saved Bugs from being mauled by a pack of dogs. The dogs ran toward Brooklyn after seeing the title. It was the ending of that cartoon short.

>

> Seriously, I've seen the movie twice and like it very much. That was my only movie other than "Bright Eyes" that I've seen James Dunn and liked him in it.

Oh, hahahahahaa! I just got it, the dogs and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! lol I must have missed that Bugs cartoon. I loved the old cartoons, so much better than any of these stupid Poke Mon or whatever cartoons today. If you want to call what the kids watch today cartoons. lol Well, I do like the Simpsons, South Park and Beavis and Butthead. lol

Hm, I can't think of another movie I saw Dunn in. I'm sure I have, I just can't think of any others than the two you've mentioned.

I re-read Betty Smith's Tree every so often. I'm the same way with books as I am with movies I love, I'll re-read them time and again. However, next time I pick up ATGIB, I know I'm gonna think of Bugsy. lol :-)

For trivia, you might be interested to know that I beleive that the heyday for TV cartoons was during the 1960's every Saturday morning. They started approx 7:00 am and ended around 1:30pm

The best were showned from Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbera, Universal, and Harveytoon.

Matter of fact the heyday for Harveytoon was between 1951-1956. They were great but took a nose dive (quality wise) after 1956. A mystery why such a studio that did such great work came to a screeching halt.

> For trivia, you might be interested to know that I beleive that the heyday for TV cartoons was during the 1960's every Saturday morning. They started approx 7:00 am and ended around 1:30pm

>

> The best were showned from Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbera, Universal, and Harveytoon.

> Matter of fact the heyday for Harveytoon was between 1951-1956. They were great but took a nose dive (quality wise) after 1956. A mystery why such a studio that did such great work came to a screeching halt.

People think I ( or my mother) was crazy, but even as a small child I was never awake early on Saturdays to watch cartoons. I was always up late watching the old movies with my mom. lol

I love Warner Bros., and I think MGM did cartoons,too. I love Max Fleischer (sp) Hanna Barbera, Universal, but i don't think I ever heard of Harveytoons. I'll have to check online and YouTube. Thanks! :-)

> Why MGM did one of their best, "Tom and Jerry". Harveytoons aka Famous Studios did their own cat and mouse, "Herman and Katnip"

>

> Here is one example of Harveytoon

Oh, brother! As soon as saw the Jack in the Box and H, and the other characters, I remembered the cartoons right off!

Casper was my bestest friend, and I was Baby Huey for Halloween one year. I even have a fadiing Polaroid to prove it! lol

Yes, they were one of my faves, too. Thanks for the link and the memories. I'll be going back there many times seeing all the toons listed. :-)

> Why MGM did one of their best, "Tom and Jerry". Harveytoons aka Famous Studios did their own cat and mouse, "Herman and Katnip"

>

> Here is one example of Harveytoon

I know we're off subject here but I just had to tell you, I had such a collection of Harvey comic books. Little Lotta, Polka Dot, of course Casper, and on and on and on. Oh how I wish I had them all now! As I read them, I traded them in for others. Sigh. lol

Oh, and how stupid of me to even have to guess MGM had cartoons, duh! :-)

Want them back? Ever think of trying Ebay? Be aware that Mint to near mint (VF), Golden Age (1950's - 1960's) can be expensive. Be wise when shopping. Far as Casper / Wendy goes there have been reprints made during the 1990's that are much lower in cost.

Read grading / rating sites before buying i.e. http://comicbooks.about.com/od/buyingcomics/p/howtograde.htm

> Want them back? Ever think of trying Ebay? Be aware that Mint to near mint (VF), Golden Age (1950's - 1960's) can be expensive. Be wise when shopping. Far as Casper / Wendy goes there have been reprints made during the 1990's that are much lower in cost.

>

> Read grading / rating sites before buying i.e. http://comicbooks.about.com/od/buyingcomics/p/howtograde.htm

Yeah, I'm a big Ebay fan. Thanks for the link, but I'll pass on the vintage comic books, and I'm not into reprints. lol I guess it's a carry over from my usual disdain for remakes of movies. I pretty much can't get into the remakes of anything. Either I have to have the old, or I'll pass. lol

The link to You Tube you gave me was most satisfying and I can live with that. However, I have purchased three items off Ebay I had as a kid. A book and two toys. lol I loved all three and play with the toys often. :-)

And I have a trunk full of clothes and what have you of my mom's from the 20s-30s-40s-50s, etc. I even have clothes and stuff of my great and grand mas. lol