Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

*"And when is my report due, Miss Moffat?"* - patful

Hey! That was my line.

If you want, go ahead and start praying for rain beginning at 11:15 next Thursday and let it continue through Friday. None of the Forum Members are on TCM next Friday and you'll only miss out on my "deer in the headlights" performance. (Though you will also miss *So Long At The Fair* which sounds like it could be a film you'd enjoy.)

Kyle In Hollywood

*...start praying for rain beginning at 11:15 next Thursday...* - Kyle

Not a CHANCE, buddy. I haven't watched *Meet John Doe* straight through in a couple of years, and what better time than following your intro? Now they've moved the rain chances to the 16th, believe it or not, so I'll have to do my hold-my-breath-to-keep-the-rain-away routine, usually reserved only for Margaret O'Brien movies. It's never failed me once. Of course, we've been in a drought for the last twenty years.

And "deer in headlights"? I doubt it. But no biggie, I'd be in an endless cycle of sweating, mumbling incoherently, and vomiting throughout an interview. I aspire to be a "deer in headlights".

Oh no mon frere. We will not call on the Rainmaker, Elmer Gantry to rain on your parade. You acquitted yourself nicely during your Intro/Outro with Robert O.

So patful...do your best "...hold-my-breath-to-keep-the-rain-away routine, usually reserved only for Margaret O'Brien movies." No rain out Kyle.

Rain, rain go away. Come again another day!

CineMaven,

I just watched your retrospective in the media room. You were great. So well spoken. Nice voice. Your story of staying up late to watch the movies is very similar to mine. Ahhh. *Out of the Past*....Simply put it's Jane Greer.... Mitchum didn't care.... Hitchcock.... I could have listened to you for hours. It was much too short. I can't wait to see your introduction to *The Letter*. Nice job!

When all this is over, we have to have one of our long, deep, involved film discussions again! You hear? :)

Very impressive. You could do it for a living!!!

I will check out the other retrospectives soon.

*Rain, rain go away. Come again another day!* - CineMaven

It's not working very well so far. Now Monday and Tuesday are the only clear forecasts. Maybe if everyone had chosen an O'Brien film to introduce, I could will it away... :-)

Odds are that the rain will miss my house, anyway, and I'll just be stuck with the 40mph winds. Seems to be the trend this year.

I can't believe it starts in three days. I hope everyone, or most everyone, will enjoy the movie I chose. I've added some pictures of "Those Lips, Those Eyes" to the thread that was started on by someone else.

Patful, maybe we should ring the real Margaret O'Brien up directly and ask her to cake walk your pending Texas storms under the nearest bamboo tree. Even Mother Nature couldn't resist Margaret, who is nearly as adorable today as she was in the 40's.

Filmlover, of all the movies that the Fan Programmers chose the one I am most eager to see is your choice: *Those Lips, Those Eyes* . I (shamefully) admit I had never heard of it, as much of a movie geek as I am, and I think it's the only one among the Fan Programmer picks I haven't seen.

THIS is why I love the TCM Boards...wherever we live, there are only a handful of people who really, really love movies like we do. And when somebody like Filmlover chooses a movie I've never heard of as his absolute favorite, that's a movie I'm watching!

CineMaven, I was in Jerry Ohlinger's today, as I often am for work reasons. (For those not in NYC, Jerry's is a wonderful store in Our Town with thousands of photos of every classic star for sale, not to mention every original movie poster imaginable, plus at least today they had a battered copy of Tallulah Bankhead's autobiography for $8).

CineMaven is a New Yorker like I, and If you've read this whole thread along the way you'll recall that she recently stopped in there and was recognized by the staff of the Ultimate Movie Geek Store as a Fan Programmer, because her photo appears in the Now Playing magazine, which they sell. She actually signed autographs!

I told the staff that you got a kick out of that experience, CM, and the adorable Dolly (the cute redhead who handles customer photo requests) told me how much she LOVED talking to you.

Now Dolly is someone who really knows her classic movie stuff...she has helped me identify what glamour publicity photos of Ann Blyth match up with which movie they have no visual relation to...but she confessed to me that she has never seen *The Letter* . We all have the odd classic we've never seen. I've previously admitted to *Giant* and *East of Eden* .

Dolly asked me to tell you she is tuning into *The Letter* Monday night. Because YOU recommended it. Just letting you know.

Congratulations, Fan Programmers.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> THIS is why I love the TCM Boards...wherever we live, there are only a handful of people who really, really love movies like we do. And when somebody like Filmlover chooses a movie I've never heard of as his absolute favorite, that's a movie I'm watching!

>

Well said, Chip. I also admit I'd never heard of that movie, and I'm very grateful to filmlover for sharing this movie with the rest of us. It is probably the single title I am most looking forward to in all of next week's schedule. B-)

*...I think it's the only one among the Fan Programmer picks I haven't seen.* - Chip

Well, I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen *The Letter* and *She Wore a Yellow Ribbon* as well as *TL,TE* . I just got the last of my one-week email reminders for our seven guest programmers. Hopefully I don't forget to watch or record. ;-)

*...pending Texas storms...*

Rain chances are gone, replaced by 50+ mph winds, dust, and wildfires. Couldn't see the sun today. So the only things stopping me from watching will be my DISH being knocked down by the stampede of folks fleeing the fires, or the fear of Miss Moffat giving me an "F" on my one-line report.

Hi, Chips,

Actually, "Those Lips, Those Eyes" is one of my favorites, but my absolute favorite is "Casablanca" (as I mention in the Fan Retrospactive that airs periodically on TCM this month). In deciding which film to use for my one chance on TCM, I wanted my choice to be one that hadn't yet aired on TCM and one that meant a lot to me personally.

?Well, I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen 'The Letter' and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.' So the only things stopping me from watching will be my DISH being knocked down by the stampede of folks fleeing the fires, or the fear of Miss Moffat giving me an "F" on my one-line report.? - patful.

And you write on this Message Board without having seen those two classic films, especially ?She Wore A Yellow Ribbon???? Whew!! You should be ashamed. Well...you can make up for that egregious omission in your film education, by watching the entire Fan Programmer week. Hopefully you?ve made a contingency plan in case those Santa Ana winds knock down your dish. I?m looking for one or two lines from you on each of us fifteen programmers. Yeah, ya gotta do it or oh yes, there will be blood. ;-)

"When all this is over, we have to have one of our long, deep, involved film discussions again! You hear? Very impressive. You could do it for a living!!!? - molo14.

I look forward to more long deep involved film discussions with you and other genuinely registered members of this great board. I miss them. And we will continue whether its here or I suspect, elsewhere in our new space. We haven?t run Gloria Grahame into the ground, have we?

Look, you start the conversation and I?ll join you, puppet masters be damned.Thanxx so much for your complimentary review of my retrospective. All true by the by. To be selected as one of fifteen people out of ALL the people they could have picked to appear to be a Fan Programmer was unbelievable. But to be selected as one of FOUR to do a Fan Retrospective is just beyond beyond. A great honor and I hope it expressed the depth of my love for classic films. I look forward to more discussions with you. We shall talk, ?my brother.? We shall talk.

By the by...if you get the Ovation channel...check it out at 1:00am-2:00am (EST) where the topic is ?Music: Behind the Scenes? - The use of music in suspense films. Very interesting talking about Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Elmer Bernstein etc.

"I told the staff that you got a kick out of that experience, CM, and the adorable Dolly (the cute redhead who handles customer photo requests) told me how much she LOVED talking to you. Dolly asked me to tell you she is tuning into 'The Letter' Monday night. Because YOU recommended it. Just letting you know.? - ChipHeartsMovies.

Thank you Chip for relaying that message. Yes, I know the cute little redhead with the glasses, you speak of. (She's very helpful and patient). That she would listen to any recommendation this old geezer suggests is very flattering indeed. On second thought...she oughta listen to her elders. We know what we?re talking about. Thank you again. C?ya Monday night, but not fashionably late. Let?s get this partaaaaay started!

I have been trying to figure out who is who among the guest programmers (I'm new to the boards). I know each of you only by your user names on the boards, not your actual names. I've figured out Kyle and lzcutter, but I wasn't sure who you were and have been especially interested because you responded to one of my early posts about international actresses (Moreau, Deneuve, Aimee, etc.) - and I've checked on your posts from time to time since then. How happy I am to know you are presenting *The Letter* (I can hear Max Steiner's theme in my head as I write this). One of my favorite actresses (no surprise there) in one of her great roles - I sincerely Iook forward to seeing you on TCM and hearing what you have to say.

Note: I've seen the promo w/you on TCM but didn't know I was watching CineMaven at the time.

Message was edited by: theladyeve

filmlover said:

Actually, "Those Lips, Those Eyes" is one of my favorites, but my absolute favorite is "Casablanca" (as I mention in the Fan Retrospactive that airs periodically on TCM this month). In deciding which film to use for my one chance on TCM, I wanted my choice to be one that hadn't yet aired on TCM and one that meant a lot to me personally

And I enjoy seeing you on TCM, got that you loved *Casablanca* , but I was expressing my deep appreciation that your final choice was a movie that I have never heard of.

patful,

There's no shame in not having seen *The Letter* or *She Wore a Yellow Ribbon* -- like I said, I have never seen 2/3 of the James Dean canon. The only shame comes if you _willfully_ refuse to watch next week when you know that our buddies CineMaven and lzcutter chose those particular movies as their signature Fan Programmer picks, and actually introduce them on TCM!

So excited to see Our Gang at their best! Starting Monday at 8 PM with CineMaven's take on *The Letter* (at least on the East Coast).

SO happy for my pals. This is something really special.

I also have been trying to match up folks on the air and folks on here! I figured out Cinemaven (wow!), and filmlover, because of either things they said here and/or the films they chose! I will be able to figure out LZ, but I haven't seen her promo yet. And there's only ONE Kyle!

BTW, Kyle, great choice. I'm a Capracorn-a-holic and this is one of the best...and darkest..of his films!

Mark,

I'm only featured in the long promo for the Fan Programmers. Quick shot of me waving at the camera. The shots of us in casual clothes in the red leather chair were shot at the Sunday night cocktail party on the set of *The Essentials*.

I think I was the first one to be asked to sit in the chair. I was taken aback at the request because it is after all Robert O's chair.

I almost wish they had asked someone else other than me to be the first one but that's life I guess.

Chipsy,

Really glad that you are so excited about celebrating with us. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I hope we don't disappoint.

Patful,

I hope you enjoy *Yellow Ribbon*.

From about the first moments of seeing CM on the preview clips, I've been thinking of her in a Gloria Grahame role, and I'm glad this name has been linked to her. I have this idea that she's an apartment dweller, near a crime victim's apartment, and there's a body around, too. The criminal? A witness? We don't know. But indeed, it's CM - all tears, all flustered innocence during brief cop interviews - that's the evil genius behind ridding the city of at least a few bad people.

Gloria Grahame was always terrific as some teary innocent-appearing lass, then reveal those daggered eyes matched her sharp fangs, too. CM would do SO well in such a role.

> {quote:title=Ollie_T wrote:}{quote}

> Gloria Grahame was always terrific as some teary innocent-appearing lass, then reveal those daggered eyes matched her sharp fangs, too. CM would do SO well in such a role.

Heh, that's hilarious! :D I actually saw that promo with the fan programmers, but it would have _never_ occured to me to see her in that light! Interesting idea. ;)

?The only shame comes if you willfully refuse to watch next week when you know that our buddies CineMaven and lzcutter chose those particular movies as their signature Fan Programmer picks, and actually introduce them on TCM!? chipheartsmovies.

Thanx for the shoutout Chipsy. Patful, you?ll learn a lot from each programmer that week. I?ll learn too.

Mark...thanx for the ?Wow!? I?m flattered. That's what a little lipstick, powder and paint will do for a girl. ;-)

?I think I was the first one to be asked to sit in the chair. I was taken aback at the request because it is after all Robert O's chair.?-lzcutter.

So, the rest of us programmers followed in your uh...?foot?prints, ey? Well I?m still honored.

?Gloria Grahame was always terrific as some teary innocent-appearing lass, then reveal those daggered eyes matched her sharp fangs, too. CM would do SO well in such a role.? - Ollie_T.

Thanx for the laugh Ollie. Putting my name in the same sentence with Gloria Grahame? Boy whaddya doin?, trying to get me banned on this Message Board. I have only ONE identity and that is CineMaven; a nice, shy, non-networking, retiring woman, who knows and loves classic films. The only thing the luscious Double G and I have in common is...is...nope, not a thing. Wait, maybe one. Lie to me. Just lie to me. HOT Coffee anyone? Or a glass of Pinot Grigiot, perhaps. ;-)

I?m really looking forward to this event next week. Funny, the anticipation is really an interesting feeling. I was invited in August to come to Atlanta in November, and then November to wait ?till now for the screening. We?ve lived with this for a long time. In fact, I will be watching it along with you all because I haven?t seen the intro in its entirety.

On a sad note, I have to tell you that I have a heavy heart right now after reading of the death of Jane Bryan.

Nope, no joke:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-jane-dart11-2009apr11,0,4043798.story

Gee, she really was one of my favorites. Those girl-next-door types just tug at my heart: Teresa Wright, Cathy O?Donnell, Donna Reed, Priscilla Lane and reading of their passing pinches. I remember Bryan in ?Hold Back the Dawn? and ?Brother Rat? and with the great Bette Davis (several times) in ?Marked Woman.? Didn?t she play Kay Francis? daughter in a film? Reading this news just reminds me of how imperative TCM is and how they should really try and contact all those great stars who can give us insight into old Hollywood. Didn?t you love the Betty Hutton and Ernest Borgnine interviews?? I know they may not want us to see them but awww hell...call me selfish.

Lovely Jane Bryan, R.I.P. :-(

So, I go to the bigbox store today to buy my new vcr tapes for next week, and guess what, they don't sell them anymore! Now, I really feel dated. Oh well, I'll try somewhere else.

CineMaven, in a way I feel that you and our fan programmers who still post here are "taking one for the team" - the team being your fellow (real) fans and posters. You have bravely put yourselves in the spotlight, and in some ways, attracting some real slimey attention. I, for one, appreciate being represented by y'all.

Cinemafan,

I hope your quest is successful. The few interviews that I saw the others do with Robert O have me just as excited as everyone else.

I have to say that all these months later I still can't believe it happened. It's been a wonderful build-up with so much support from so many people here that no matter how it all turns out, it's been great to have had the opportunity to not only be a Fan Programmer but also to know that so many of you are in our corner!

Thanks again!!!!