Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

> {quote:title=eebyo wrote:}{quote}

> About your host . . . I can't find an "I [heart] Robert Osborne" thread on here, and that may be further testament to my poor navigation skills (see above), so I'll just goose protocol a bit and make this my "[heart]" post.

>

If there is no such thread, eebyo, there _definitely_ ought to be. Bob Osborne is a big part of what makes TCM such a classy channel, and I can't imagine TCM without him. He's definitely earned my gratitude many times over. :x

CineMaven, you're up first. How are you feeling? I know it's still Sunday here in L.A. as I write this, but this means it is now Monday where you are and that means the day is here.

I wonder how many people will be watching? I was just looking at the list of TCM Milestones on their microsite and it said that in 2002 TCM had more than 60 million subscribers.

Hmm, do you know how lucky we are? If every one of those 60 million cable and satellite subscribers were TCM fans, that would mean that each of us was selected on a 1 person out of 4 million ratio.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Hmm, do you know how lucky we are? If every one of those 60 million cable and satellite subscribers were TCM fans, that would mean that each of us was selected on a 1 person out of 4 million ratio.

Um, maybe it could be a good time to buy a lottery ticket? ;)

Seriously, it's good to know you're all feeling so excited. But I'm glad all of the intros were recorded a while back - I can't for the life of me imagine how you'd be feeling right now if you were going to be on _live_ TV. :P

April,

Those posters are great! I really love the one with Bette. Wish I had a shawl like that.

Best of luck to all three Fan Programmers tonight!

After all these months, I still can't believe that it really happened and that the Event is finally here!

However you plan to celebrate tonight, have fun and know that no matter where we (the universal we) are, we are with you in spirit.

Message was edited by: lzcutter because some words got left out

Are you going to the presentation of restored Vitaphone short films at the Billy Wilder theater on Saturday? I just bought my tickets. Hope to see you there.>>

Scott,

I have tickets for the Vitaphone rarities on the 25th. Is that the one you are talking about?

"CineMaven, you're up first. How are you feeling? I know it's still Sunday here in L.A. as I write this, but this means it is now Monday where you are and that means the day is here.

I wonder how many people will be watching? I was just looking at the list of TCM Milestones on their microsite and it said that in 2002 TCM had more than 60 million subscribers."

Hmm, do you know how lucky we are? If every one of those 60 million cable and satellite subscribers were TCM fans, that would mean that each of us was selected on a 1 person out of 4 million ratio."-filmlover

This thread started with you Sir:

March 4 - 10:20PM - ?Hi, everyone, I am creating this thread on behalf of the other members of the "Fab 15," those of us who were given the incredible honor recently of appearing as Fan Guest Programmers on TCM with Robert Osborne. This week-long event will air on TCM during the prime-time hours of April 13th through April 17th, part of TCM's 15th anniversary celebration.

We decided to start a thread of our own in which we could fill you in on our experiences in Atlanta as guests of Turner Classic Movies, tell you what films we chose and why, and also allow YOU a chance to ask us questions about the event and about appearing with Mr. Osborne...?

How am I feeling. I am just one lucky girl, plucked out of obscurity for this; I?ve been waving and flailing my arms at the universe all my life saying: ?I love old movies. They?re worth saving. I want to make films.? I?ve loved movies for as long as I can remember. I?ve struggled with this love racially and generationally most of my life until I just accepted that I love them and that people will accept the fact that movies are a part of me. Do you remember that interstitial narrated by Jeremy Irons about the movies? The film clips and his silky voice and D.H.Lawrence?s words??? You must. Well...if you?ve seen that, you see me. THAT is exactly how I feel.

I am excited about tonight. Believe it or not...I?m more excited by the idea of sharing this with my group of friends who?ll be gathering with me tonite (on a ?school night?) around a tv set to watch, what...not even five minutes? Those five minutes will stretch to forever (in my movie-addled brain) because I am sharing it with people I care about.

I am proud to have been one of fifteen (and in dammmmmed good company too) chosen out of 60 million...400 billion...five gazillion people on earth. Me. I don?t need different personalities to get people to talk to me about movies. I talk to the people who want to talk to me about classic films. TCM has flattered and honored me with this opportunity. This is really special, because I get to stand up...in front of the class...and say, I love movies.

Tonite, someone will hear me.

P.S. Miss Goddess...your thoughtful poster has made me cry.

Thank you!

I'll see you all on the other side of this.

Well put, CM, very well put.

As for me, I will be there in front of my TV for the first time I see us, and then I will have to show it over my projector the big screen to see how that feels. Though, I am beginning to thing the best place to watch myself tonight will be in Kyle's bar. Oh, we should have rented out Musso & Frank's!

WWWAAAHHHH!

I want to be in NYC celebrating with you this evening, Ms Maven! What fun we could have!

But, since I can't be two places at once, I'll have to settle for being there in spirit. I hope you have a wonderful time and most of all, I hope you enjoy the fun of the moment!

*Congrats to all of the 15 Fan Programmers!*??I look forward to seeing you and toasting you each evening with an appropriate cocktail (after all, each evening starts at PM here on the west coast).

Tonight will be either a Planter's Punch or a Singapore Sling with "The Letter".??Tuesday is a Mint Julep with "GWTW".??Wednesday will be a Corpse Reviver with "Double Indemnity".??Thursday I'll have a Gimlet with "The Man Who Knew Too Much".??Friday could be a Green Fairy cocktail with "So Long at The Fair" or an after-dinner White Russian with "Silk Stockings".

I also hope to see many of you participating in the next programming challenge-it'll be my first time.

Message was edited by: countessdelave

Countess,

What drinks will be having with *Grand Illusion* and *Those Lips, Those Eyes* both movies are part of the Fan Programmers event with our very own Filmlover introducing *TL, TE* ?