Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

First, Rome, great job. Sorry I didn't get a chance to add in my compliments until now. Somewhere between Singin' in the Rain and Angels with Dirty Faces I fell asleep on the couch until 2 AM, but I did record it so I got see you doing the intro and outro (they should call it the "outgo"). You looked very relaxed, even after the "no socks" incident. And I am thankful to you that you were the very first of the 15 to be recorded because I was right after you and it helped me a lot watching you and Robert Osborne.

And now our own lzcutter is up tonight. I remember seeing her do her filming with Robert Osborne and she was word perfect all the way through. It will be great when it airs, I know that.

CEBandello, you do have one incredible voice. You seemed just as relaxed as filmlover, making that chair your own. You've seen it hundreds of times? Wow. Glad to know that you thought Rocky was faking it at the end. I've only seen it a few times, and that was my impression, too.

I loved it when Mr. Osborne said that film and TV preservation wasn't necessarily a good thing when it concerns his aging on the screen. I thought you would end up doing a spit take right there.

*After "Lest We Forget" it is my favorite line in the movie.*

And mine, too!

I hope my talking about that scene doesn't end up on the cutting room floor. It was one of my favorite moments of the interview!

Y?all are cracking me up with all the great pics. I had to set the *Double Indemnity* one as my desktop. Everyone?s done a great job so far and I?m sure more wonderfulness is coming our way :).

Here?s a behind the scenes pic I found of RO and April; I do believe he is smitten with her ;).

153746__gwtw_l.jpg

Alas, she only has eyes for Ashley :P.

GoneScarlettTraan.jpg

hahahahaahahaha!! You got me there, Ang! :D

Poor Ashley.

And WENDY, I love it: "Sam". It IS a better name. You give the munchkin a

hug for me and tell her I can only HOPE I'm like her. :)

Message was edited by: MissGoddess because Sam I Am

Well, filmlover, I see that *Those Lips, Those Eyes* was the #3 most-searched movie in TCM's database yesterday. It must feel pretty good to have plucked that one out of obscurity for everyone to see.

I just wanted to say to Rome aka CEBandello (after your comments, I know now where you got your board name) that you were great last night too. James Cagney is my favorite actor, too, so I was thrilled when you said that last night. And may I add--you are very, very handsome.

And Lisa, I agree with you about Gene Kelly & Fred Astaire. Kelly was a "guy" and Astaire was the "dream." I've never been a dancer so I don't have your perspective, but I agreed with everything you said about them.

*I'm so jealous of all the guest programmers*! I've been telling my wife every evening that I wish I could host a night of movies.

I think everyone is doing a wonderful job discussing their movies and why they picked those movies. Although I'm not a big fan of some of the movies that were picked, I think these folks are doing a fantastic job; certainly as good as some of the past "Essentials" hosts or other celebrity hosts.

All the fan programmers are doing such a wonderful job that I think this project should be expanded to a weekly event. Wouldn't that be a lot of fun? Maybe Thursdays could be "fan night." :)

Miss Goddess, thanks for the beautiful sunset poster of Frank McGrath (aka Charlie Wooster, Wagon Train) blowing his bugle for guest programmer, Lynn Zook and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. A beautiful tribute to Pappy and Izcutter. Best wishes, all.

shuks

> {quote:title=shuksan wrote:}{quote}

> Miss Goddess, thanks for the beautiful sunset poster of Frank McGrath (aka Charlie Wooster, Wagon Train) blowing his bugle for guest programmer, Lynn Zook and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. A beautiful tribute to Pappy and Izcutter. Best wishes, all.

>

> shuks

Aw, shuks! Thank you and thank you for saying who the bugler was in

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

To my "promo partner" Mongo -

I won't be home in time to see your introduction tonight - but I'll have it on tape to watch later. I am eagerly anticipating seeing you and RO bond over Barbara Stanwyck.

I hope you are having the kids over tonight. (Hi Audrey!)

Catch ya tonight.

Kyle (Yeah. That goes for Lynn too. But she knows that.) In Hollywood

Hey Mongo!

Socks or not, you're the best. I've got the DVR all ready to go as Mr Cutter will still be at work when you debut and he doesn't want to miss seeing you!

His car is in for service and I told him he had to hitch a ride home with the boss because I would be busy watching *Double Indemnity*.

Does murder really smell like honeysuckle?

In this movie it does. Old Los Angeles locations that aren't there anymore, Stanwyck, MacMurray and Robinson, Billy Wilder, this movie now has it all because it has *you* doing the intro and outro with Robert O!

I can't wait! Tell Audrey and the family we will be watching!

Message was edited by: lzcutter for emphasis

*Catch ya tonight.*

*Kyle (Yeah. That goes for Lynn too. But she knows that.) In Hollywood*

Hey Kyle,

Yeah, I know!

Thanks for thinking of me.

Is it Thursday yet?

Hey Mongo!..........or should I call you "Socks"?....LOL. Good luck to you, Buddy!

And Juan......if you're out there, you are making "TCM Guest Programmer" history tonight. Good Luck!

Lynn......you'll have no problem talkin' "The Two Johns" tonight. GOOD LUCK to you!

Countdown to KJK.........countdown to KJK!

Rome! I just watched your comments at home on my lunch break---jsut as

I thought, you were FABULOUS! I thoroughly enjoyed what you had to say

and I've got to commend you for keeping it together when Robert Osborne

ended on that line about "film preservation not necessarily always a good thing"---I would

have lost it completely! :D

I just wanted to come in and say how wonderful you all have been sharing your love of films and bringing such enthusiasm on the screen. I'm proud of everyone, especially my fellow new yorkers. It's been a nice experience hearing the personal connections with each film and the interaction with Mr. Osbourne. Thanks, can't wait to see the rest of the programmers!

Lynn, thanks for the breakdown of the participating board/guest programmers. I'm thrilled to see you all here.

Missgoddess: In reference to Bugler McGrath in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon...

Notice the Remington caricature he strikes. He rides totally **** at all times and Ford has placed him on a rambunctious (possibly) thoroughbred. The horse is unmanageable. It fairly prances as the column moves out from Fort Stark and it rears back in nearly each shot it is in. And as the column charges Sudrose Wells brandishing sabres, the bugler charges with his horn held in the same position as their sabres. That's Pappy painting a Remington canvas.

> {quote:title=shuksan wrote:}{quote}

> Missgoddess: In reference to Bugler McGrath in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon...

> Notice the Remington caricature he strikes. He rides totally **** at all times and Ford has placed him on a rambunctious (possibly) thoroughbred. The horse is unmanageable. It fairly prances as the column moves out from Fort Stark and it rears back in nearly each shot it is in. And as the column charges Sudrose Wells brandishing sabres, the bugler charges with his horn held in the same position as their sabres. That's Pappy painting a Remington canvas.

Stop! You have me swooning!! :D I am DEFINITELY going to pay attention to that

tonight---I've often thought this movie looks like one gorgeous painting after another

(as do so many of Ford's films) and am starting to familiarize myself more with the

works of the great western painters like Remington. THANK YOU, shuksan!

See you all in Monument Valley tonight...

SWAYR-2-1.jpg

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Me: So tell me about April's introduction.

Mom: Oh, I liked her, very pretty, very animated, and when she laughed it was very pleasant. You could tell

she loved the movie.

Me: So how did she look to you?

Mom: Very neat, not sloppy at all. I couldn't tell what color her dress was because I was tired -- I had to have the heating pad on for my back.

Me: How could your eyes be affected by your back?

Mom: Well look, when you get to be my age you'll find that a lot of things make you tired. But she was very attractive. Is she married? Does she have a boyfriend?

Me: (sighing) Mom, how did you like her hair and make-up?

Mom: "Very understated, not wild or anything. She had on I think grey stockings? I couldn't tell. Her legs were crossed, very ladylike, very nice. She sat upright and looked proper. I thought I heard a Southern accent. Is that why they hired her to do GWTW?

Me: No, Mom, they didn't choose the fan programmers on that basis.

Mom: Oh, okay. Well, I tried to stay up for the whole thing, but I fell asleep in the middle.

Me: I saw April's outro.

Mom: "Outro"? What's that?

Me: The opposite of "intro", you know, her remarks at the closing.

Mom: Oh. So what did she talk about?

Me: How she appreciated the intimate scenes within the epic story, and she had on this gorgeous pair of earrings from Lana Turner.

Mom: She got them from Lana Turner? I thought Lana Turner was dead"

Me: Mom, please. But I'm so happy you enjoyed April. I thought she was wonderful, too. At least I got to see her at the outro.

Mom: Oh you couldn't tape the whole thing from the beginning?

Me: No I told you I didn't have the VCR.

Mom: I don't remember these things. But Clark Gable, him I always remember.