Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

patful said: "Well, filmlover, I see that Those Lips, Those Eyes was the #3 most-searched movie in TCM's database yesterday. It must feel pretty good to have plucked that one out of obscurity for everyone to see."

Only #3?

Rome,

You were fantastic, easy-going and well-spoken. I loved what you said about your Grandpa - I think it is so interesting that your tastes meshed with each other, even though you were from different generations. I would never have drawn a parallel between Blaxploitation and gangster movies, but I can see a definite link now. Congratulations on your presentation of a great, great movie!

Actionsgirl,

I loved what you had to say about Kelly and his perfect technique - I am always amazed when watching Kelly, because though other dancers have great moves leg-wise, they usually lack technique in the way they move their arms. Kelly's are always perfect. I am glad you picked what to me are the two perfect dance numbers of all time, Moses Supposes and Good Morning. I could watch them over and over (and I have). I also love the instrumentation of the two songs. It is so lush and rich and each number has so many sections that you never get bored with it. As for your presentation, it was just great to see you two bantering and enjoying each other's company. You were great!

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> patful said: "Well, filmlover, I see that Those Lips, Those Eyes was the #3 most-searched movie in TCM's database yesterday. It must feel pretty good to have plucked that one out of obscurity for everyone to see."

>

> Only #3?

It's probably going to keep climbing from there... ;)

Lynn,

I am especially looking forward to your presentation tonight! This is the fan pick I am most excited to watch. You know I love our "Bull". But I have to admit that I have never seen *Yellow Ribbon* all the way through..... and I'm embarrassed.

They actually showed it to my high school senior class on the last day of school - of course, most skipped it altogether. It was an awful print, and those who actually were there had no clue what the movie was about, nor cared. It was a nightmare.

I can't wait to watch tonight, knowing I am in the company of all the fans.... it will be a redeeming moment for me and for Pappy after that high school debacle. And I especially can't wait to hear what you have to say. You always bring up something in conversations here that others have overlooked - the historical context, or the deeper meaning in a particular scene. I also really appreciate all the work you have done here on the message boards to create a knowledgeable, loving and downright homey atmosphere. You help us realize that we are a "stock company" of sorts, too. Thanks so much, and good luck tonight. I hope you are celebrating appropriately!

Photobucket

It will be a night we won't forget. Thanks for picking Pappy. :)

> {quote:title=Rickspade wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Hi, Rick!

> >

> > Nat Hiken RULES!!!!

>

>

> Absolutely! Hey, you don't happen to live anywhere near the 53rd Precinct, do you? Home to those two immortal law enforcement officials, Toody and Muldoon? (Only kidding; I know the 53rd doesn't actually exist.)

"There's a hold-up in the Bronx, Brooklyn's broken out in fights...."

Loved that show too. (of course, I was barely alive back then)

"Oooh! Ooooh!"

Which is also how I feel about tonight's line-up.

Enjoy a great noir, DOUBLE INDEMNITY (I'll be back home later for the tail end of it)

Mom: I don't remember these things. But Clark Gable, him I always remember.

ROTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I skimmed thru that one in one piece!! Ha haaaaa!!

I keep saying it but it keeps on being true, LOVE BRONXMOM!!!

Yes, Clark (Sam) I ALWAYS remember....and remember....and remember....

Thank you, Barbara, for giving the rundown---every word is precious.

You know something? I was really taken aback at how some of my

"southern" (Texan/Okie) accent crept in. Most of my friends in NY don't

mention it so I figured I'd lost it. Or, I just reverted to idiotic childhood at

that moment. :P

mongo,

That was a great intro!!! I really enjoyed listening to you tell us about how you came to have your TCM username, and about your early memories going to the theaters as a kid, and your grandpa looking for you inside. That was priceless! :D

Obviously you also had some insightful things to say about *Double Indemnity*, which were very well said, in particular in regards to the leads being cast against type.

Can't wait to see the outro!!!

Mongo!

Your socks were good but you were great!

Kudos for being so relaxed!

Loved the story about your grandpa knowing that you were at the movies but not knowing which theater.

I'm off to watch *Double Indemnity* and will pay close attention to the signs in the market this time!

Aren't you glad you're not my mother's daughter??

I have to go through this EVERY DAY, and I never pass (much less with flying colors) with her like you and Maven did.

I also noticed a hint of that "southern" accent -- it's charming!

Great job, loved ya.

Nice outro, mongo. Nothing beats getting to plug your threads on the air! ;)

And I agree with you regarding the first scene with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck... you can feel the sparks fly! B-)

I also loved Juan C.'s intro, it's so nice to get to know such a nice young man who loves classic movies as much as the rest of us TCM addicts. ;)

I'm going to look for his YouTube videos later! B-)

Hey there Mongo!

I was impressed. You're a natural at this sort of thing. I liked your story of going to the movies when you were a kid. You were interesting to listen to. *Double Indemnity* was a fine choice. Nice plug for the message boards too. You were a great representative for the boards! :)

Oh and Juan if you're out there, nice job! You talked about turning to TCM to make you feel better after a bad day. Well I can relate to that! Astaire and Rodgers? You have very good taste young man! :)

MONGO!!!!!!!!! There you were...socks and all. You did a great job. Red Hook!!! A shout-out to Brooklyn.

Oooh you seem like the kindly avuncular type, and yet you picked Barbara Stanwyck at her most deadly. A steely-eyed, ice-cold blonde . She was utterly a femme fatale.

Great film, great intro & outro. Can you imagine a little kid sitting next to a strange adult today. (Milk carton time). You lived in the best of times re: movies.

Congrats JOE / MONGO.

Hey Mongo - even though I was born in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, I spent a lot of time in the Marcy theater in Williamsburg. It was a second or even third-run house where I'd catch a lot of triple-bills in my youth.

There was one ticket-taker there who worked there for about 30 years, a nice little guy who must have been in his 80s when he left.

All of you guest hosts are doing so well, I think it's a fine tribute to not only each of you, but also to Robert Osborne for enabling you all to be so relaxed.

Photobucket

Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it. It was a grand time for me to be sitting

with Robert Osborne, a genuine gent. Even I couldn't believe how relaxed I was during the

interview. After over 60 years as a movie buff, it was the frosting on the cake.

Thanks again.

Joe aka Mongo

Clore, I remember the Marcy Theater very well, it was one of my haunts.

hey mongo!

i loved your intro too! it was a long day for me and i have been very sleepy today, but when i turned on TCM, there you were with Bob talking and all the sudden i was so happy that i got to see yet another great bboard user on there talking about whgat you loved most. you did so wnderful! i was quite surprised at how comfortable you looked up there with him. you didnt look nervous at all! :)

Lynne, i cant wait to see yours tonight, im looking forward to recording yours too! arent you excited!?

Very well done, mongo. If you write a book on relaxation techniques, I'll be the first in line to buy it. Loved your childhood theater story. And after my years here, glad to see an explanation of your screen name. I always figured you were just a huge Alex Karras fan. :-)

Now, I must prepare myself to watch a western...shudder...a John Wayne western...Lord help me. ;-)

*Now, I must prepare myself to watch a western...shudder...a John Wayne western...Lord help me.*

Patful,

You'll do fine. It's a good western, too, so that should help!

By the way, I'll have a quiz for you in the morning to be sure you didn't just skip the movie! :)