Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

MarianStarrett said:

Is there any chance you'd be interested in being a FP, Chip? We could round up the whole quartet of NYC-area fans with you.

Marian, whenever invited to appear on national television to discuss Judy Garland, I make it a firm policy to accept. LOL.

It would certainly be fun and I would jump at the chance, but I am taking equal pleasure hearing from my pals. I don't know about you, but hearing the personal stories of each person --- watching old movies late at night or growing up with family, feeling a little out of place in some aspects of popular culture --- I genuinely feel that these guys are already telling my story. And I don't have the telegenic sparkle of MissGoddess and company, I assure you.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> MarianStarrett said:

> Is there any chance you'd be interested in being a FP, Chip? We could round up the whole quartet of NYC-area fans with you.

>

> Marian, whenever invited to appear on national television to discuss Judy Garland, I make it a firm policy to accept. LOL.

So, you would choose a Judy Garland movie, huh? You have been giving this some thought, haven't you? ;)

> {quote:title=overeasy wrote:}{quote}

> I've been pleasantly surprised by the great quality of the guest programmers.

Me too. These intros should be shown more than just once. At least once a year.

*So, you would choose a Judy Garland movie, huh? You have been giving this some thought, haven't you?* >>

Marian,

I hate to burst your bubble but as long time posters here know it probably has more to do with Judy being the star of Chipsy's favorite film. It's one of Patful's top faves as well, come to think of it, but not because of Judy.

*Meet Me in St. Louis* --- which patful also loves in particular for Margaret O'Brien.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, so back to *Seven Brides for Seven Brothers* . This isn't among my favorite MGM musicals so I have only seen it a couple of times, but watching it now at least explained to me why we have a TCM poster named LonesomePolecat!

So thanks Anna for selecting this one. I also am particularly enjoying Jane Powell in this movie more than I recalled!

I'm enjoying these fan programmers very much --everyone has such interesting stories and points of view. But I can't help seeing through the professionalism on their faces to see utter joy at being there.

I'm also exceedingly jealous that y'all get to talk movies with Robert Osbourne. On the other hand, I don't know if I could narrow it down to only ONE movie! Impossible!

Anna...nice nice nice job.

Here's another Jayne Mansfield story. I'm at a bar in the Village with a new friend. And I'm being forced to network by my new friend who is leading the way. I can't remember the lady's name who I met (a whole bunch of professionals handing "out" business cards). My friend mentioned to her that I was just on tv on Monday for TCM.

The lady said she represents a client out in Jersey who's going to be on tv too. His name is Jeff Hoyak.

Unblievable. Absolutely unbelievable. Jeff's up in a few moments. He picked Hitchcock. How can you go wrong.

Awwwwrighty heeeere's Jeff.

I loved Jeff's intro to *The Man Who Knew Too Much*, and his enthusiasm for Hitchcock was positively infectious.

Couldn't help do a double-take when I thought I'd heard him say something about "domination or flogging". I rewound right away, and was hugely relieved to realize he had actually said "Dalmatians or Flubber". :P

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> *Meet Me in St. Louis* --- which patful also loves in particular for Margaret O'Brien.

>

> I don't want to sidetrack this thread, so back to *Seven Brides for Seven Brothers* . This isn't among my favorite MGM musicals so I have only seen it a couple of times, but watching it now at least explained to me why we have a TCM poster named LonesomePolecat!

>

> So thanks Anna for selecting this one. I also am particularly enjoying Jane Powell in this movie more than I recalled!

Well, we couldn't be more different. It's one of the very few MGM musicals that I DO like!

WAAAAY TO GO JEFF!!He picked Hitchcock. And once again...Hitch is timely. He's in the Arab world here. "There's very little mistake allowed in the Muslim religion."

Doris Day & James Stewart. Jimmy's an old hand at Hitchcock, and Doris does a nice job as the latest "Hitchcock blonde." (Say, I wonder what type of Hitchcock blonde Cutter & Goddess would make). Uh, Marian...that's just a rhetorical question, please.

I love the scene when Jimmy has to give Doris a pill before telling her of Hank's kidnapping. Her hysterics were believable.

I always thought Doris did well with boys in the movies ("Please Don't Eat the Daisies.") Jeff -- good job. And good pick.

Stay awake Chip. You'll never forgive yourself if you miss Mr. Hollywood.

Anna, if you're reading this, you looked so lovely and sweet opposite Robert O!! What

a joyous segment. The musicals definitely got their due this week.

Jeff had such great energy, I could really see Osborne enjoying his enthusiasm. Another

wonderful night. Mr IN-Hollywood is next!! All the Coops Gals' eyes are upon you!

Yaaaaay!!! Kyle, you were so ELOQUENT! I mean you really got a lot in just the first

few minutes! I love that you were allowed to really go into why you chose MJD and

defining what the classic studio era years were. I think you will have one heck of a

packed bar after this! Bravo.

Listen you great big genius of a fan programmer... you done good. You even look like Gary Cooper sitting in that chair all tall and lanky and knowin' what'cha talkin' about. And your pick shows Stanwyck so soft and sweet after seeing her so hard-boiled and hot and ice-cold. She even switched up her voice.

You said a mouthful about fascism and social relevance and bartending. You looked good, sounded good and done good. Shall I call you Long John Kersten??

I remember that day and seeing you in the chair just made me re-live that day in the Green Room.

Congratulations Kyle!!!

Kyle, that was a terrific intro! You looked thoroughly relaxed, with a friendly smile, and a twinkle in your eye. I _loved_ the colors you chose to wear, which looked really fabulous against the big red chair.

And now about Coop.... you did say much more about Coop in the outro, right? ;)

Well Essex,

I have to say, you are just as charming and just as great on television as you are in person. That was a terrific intro and props to you for mentioning the screenwriter of the movie and giving him his due.

For a guy with as little sleep as you had, you looked terrific! Especially considering that you were one of the first group of interviews on that first day.

Can't wait to see your outro a bit later!

Great outro, Kyle!

"You can't kill Gary Cooper..." - loved it when you said that... :x

And I agree with Robert Osborne, it'd feel great to come over to your bar and have a drink. You better save a barstool for the occasional TCM fan!! B-)

Photobucket

Kudos to all fan programmers, you've all been great!

Kyle, deer in headlights , my bony behind! Great poise, presence, and delivery. And I loved your analysis of the film. Hold that barstool open for Mr. Osborne, he may take you up on it. Masterful, buddy, masterful...

Hey there Kyle,

That was great. You really came across well and you had some interesting thoughts on *Meet John Doe* and classic films in general. Again it just seems too short. I could listen to all of you guys for a lot longer! :)

It's interesting how everyone's "voice" here on the board just kind of fit with how you all look in person (on the tube at least). You seemed really at ease in that chair. Almost like nothing phases you! :) I loved what you said about how a bartender only has something like this happen to them "in the movies". I think Robert Osborne laughed at that. I did too. I think you may have a new customer! Let us know if he shows up on that stool.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how well I thought you did. This has been a great week!

Bravo! :)

Thank you to everyone for your kind and positive words.

Watching it tonight suddenly brought back the whole experience - and reminded me of what was left out. Like a conversation about Cooper & Stanwyck appearing together in *BallOf Fire* that same year. And the closing remarks got rearranged and condensed alot - but I think that was probably a VERY good thing. Hopefully it was still coherent. (Operating on just two hours sleep, coherency from me was at a premium that morning.)

I hope the CoopsGals forgive me for not gushing about Gary more. (Though I really wish I had given a mention to their tread that day.) And I hope my mother isn't keening after hearing me proclaim "I am not devout" on national television.

Thanks again for all your complimentary reactions. I am truly humbled.

Tonight I made it to the ball. It was a wonderful experience. And tomorrow I return to being a pumpkin.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk putting the proper NOT in its place. Sorry, Mom!