Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

Great Job, Mr. "In Hollywood"... I really enjoyed your comments and you seemed very comfortable sitting there next to Mr. O. (I have to say ALL of you fan programmers had that going for you!!) Nicely done.

And PS... thanks for the GREAT pic for your film too.

Another great night of TCM Fan Programmers. Well, fan programmers to the rest of the world, but people I now call friends since Atlanta.

I would like to start with *Anna*...When I got into the movie after your introduction, I realized how the title music is so much like you. Bright, cheerful, and wonderfully contagious. I enjoyed every minute of your intro and outro. You truly have a wonderful appearance on screen and you looked so natural talking with Robert Osborne. I really enjoyed how you spoke about wearing out the VHS.

As most of us are aware, there is a stage version of SBFSB. If ever a local production is going to be done in your area, you should definitely try out for it, because I can't imagine a more wondferful bride for one of the brothers.

*Jeff*, are you sure you haven't done this a lot before? You looked very professional. You came across more as somebody who should be teaching film history. You were very enthusiastic.

*Kyle*, when I started watching your intro, you looked, and even sounded for a few moments, as very proper British, cool and reserved. And as it went on, one could see that calmness and relaxation with Robert O. is part of who you are. I know you were hesitant going into the whole thing but you should never have to worry because you were terriic on screen. In all homesty, out of every fan programmer seen so far, you truly seemed to have a genuine easiness that looked like you two were in your bar (off duty, of course) and just shooting the breeze about Meet John Doe. I have a feeling that if someone had called out there was a fire in the studio, I believe you would have looked casually over there and said, "Don't worry, I'll take care of it in a few minutes" and just kept on with the conversation. You did good, Kyle. Be proud.

And we have only one night left of fan programmers. I will be sorry to see it end. Every one of us has such a unique way about us that it fascinating to see why one likes a paerticular film above many others.

G'morning my lovelies...

"Tonight I made it to the ball. It was a wonderful experience. And tomorrow I return to being a pumpkin." - Kyle in Hollywood

You needn't worry about being a pumpkin Kyle. Your poise and stillness and matter-of-factness commands attention. Who'd want to hear froma bartender??? Uh, everybody.

Tell us what the reaction is when you go to work today and tell me, how did you spend last night watching it??

If I'm ever out there, I'm buying you a drink. And don't say a Shirley Temple.

You were wonderful!

Kyle, just another congrats here. I even stayed up later than usual to watch your outro comments and I'm dead tired this morning because my doggy won't let me sleep past 6:30.

filmlover--I'm with you about Jeff Hoyak. Ever since TCM has been promoting this week, I've thought that Jeff looked familiar to me. Do any of you know if he's in films or anything?

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}

> filmlover--I'm with you about Jeff Hoyak. Ever since TCM has been promoting this week, I've thought that Jeff looked familiar to me. Do any of you know if he's in films or anything?

helenbaby,

According to the bio posted on the tcm.com microsite, Jeff is currently the president of a public-relations firm, and his entire career "has been in communications".

You can read all about our fan programmers here:

http://www.tcm.com/2009/15thAnniversary/index.jsp

As a newbie on the TCM boards, I'd like to add my congrats to the guest programmers who have been appearing this week. Their choices have been wonderful, and their discussions on screen have been truly memorable.

May I offer one factual correction to last night's discussion of The Man Who Knew Too Much ? The "Storm Cloud" Cantata heard during the climactic Albert Hall sequence was written by Arthur Benjamin for Hitchcock's 1934 film version of this same story, for which Benjamin was the film scorer. When Hitchcock was developing the remake for 1956, he offered Bernard Hermann the opportunity to write a new work. But Hermann chose to retain Benjamin's cantata, and to expand it to fill the longer screen time during the remake. That's Hermann conducting the work on-screen, though, the only time he appeared in a Hitchcock film (and, I think, the only time ever).

Hey bartender, you've done the Frank Capra classic proud! Congratulations Kyle!

Cool, calm and collected, it was like watchingf two old friends discussing what they love most...

movies. If it wasn't so late here in the EST time zone I would have joined you in a beer.

It was a pleasure sharing Barbara Stanwyck with you this week, proving that she is indeed a versatile actress, with the support of Gary Cooper of course. Good stuff!

Kudos also to Jeff, who came alive during his glowing presentation of "The Man Who Knew To Much".

Jeff joined my daughter and I on our trolly trip in Atlanta where we had a good time. He kept us

smiling with his quips while visiting the Margaret Mitchell house, and especially at the fabulous Fox Theatre, and the Coca Cola building where we tasted drinks from all over the world (of which some were revolting). Come on Jeff, take some time and join us on the thread.

Just taking a moment away from all the congrats due to last night's people.

It's now about 7 AM here in Los Angeles, and I am doing a little bit of work on the computer before I get ready to head off for the day. Behind me, the TV is on to TCM, of course, and Sunset Boulevard had just finished, then there was a short of Harlow. All this is going on behind me in the background while I am faciung the computer. Then there was the trailer for "The Graduate" (does anyone else think they told the whole story in the trailer?). Again, I am not looking at the TV at the moment, and suddenly I hear my voice coming from the screen. LOL, now normally, this would be a case for calling in a psychiatrist, but it's my Retrospective. And though I have seen it several times, it still catches me unaware, and I always feel, "Hey, that's me!"

I wonder if this will be the last time it airs since the Fan Programmer week ends tonight? (Will I end up like Norma Desmond, remembering when I had the attention of the public, planning my comeback?)

I'll tell you all something, it really, really is an incredible feeling and a source of pride to have been part of this incredible month on TCM.

*"I even stayed up later than usual to watch your outro comments and I'm dead tired this morning because my doggy won't let me sleep past 6:30."* - helenbaby

I'm flattered you'd give up sleep to listen to me get chatted up by Robert Osborne. Thank you for telling me so. You're a dear.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"If I'm ever out there, I'm buying you a drink."* - CineMaven

For some reason, I'm thinking you'll have the chance next year. And maybe we can get a gig out here for your friend so she can finance the trip.

Thank you for being so sweet.

Kyle In Hollywood

"...Again, I am not looking at the TV at the moment, and suddenly I hear my voice coming from the screen. LOL, now normally, this would be a case for calling in a psychiatrist, but it's my Retrospective..." - filmlover.

Funny you should mention that 'lover, becuz I was just putting the finishing touches to my incendiary comments in the "Hot Topics>Multiple Usernames" thread when I remarked on how I just saw you on tv.

This might not be our swan song for apearances, at least until the end of April. It's been a swell ride. And TCM really knows how to make this average girl feel like a "Queen for a Day."

Aaaah, reality. :P ;-)

"For some reason, I'm thinking you'll have the chance next year. And maybe we can get a gig out here for your friend so she can finance the trip." - Hlywdkjk

HA!! From your mouth to God's ears. Or is that Christ's ears.

In fact my friend and I put together a little sumthin' sumthin' that I hope to share with you & Zookie Wookie in a couple of weeks.

"For some reason, I'm thinking you'll have the chance next year. And maybe we can get a gig out here for your friend so she can finance the trip." - Hlywdkjk

HA!! From your mouth to God's ears. Or is that Christ's ears???

In fact my friend and I put together a little sumthin' sumthin' that I hope to share with you & Zookie Wookie in a couple of weeks.

I didn't get to see every guest programmer, but I did catch live (or on tape) CineMaven, MissGoddess, Mongo, lzcutter, and Kyle (apologies to filmlover). You folks did a great job, and represented these message boards with class. Hopefully, this will encourage other classic movie fans to join us here. Joe, my girlfriend in NY watched you "live" and was really interested in your stories. Theresa, my girlfriend thinks you are very attractive. I intend to show her the recordings I made of April, Lynn, and Kyle. Then again, once she sees Kyle, my goose may be cooked.

'filmlover' -

It's wonderful to hear that my awkwardness and self-consciousness didn't jump through the screen. As a bartender, I am more accustomed to listening. So talking about myself to tens of thousands of strangers was far outside of my comfort zone. I probably would have been truly at ease if the conversation was filmed with me standing behind a bar.

I'll definitely let you when Robert O. comes by my place. (No. He hasn't made it in yet.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

As always, you were great. I loved your outro and the various points you made about the movie. I'm glad you got to make those points though we didn't get to hear your favorite actors, I prefer your remarks about the ending.

You even looked a bit like Coop.

After waiting so long for this week, it's hard to believe that it's almost over.

I'm really glad that everyone enjoyed it.

And Essex, when Robert O does show up at your bar, I hope you guys have a wonderful conversation!

I look forward to hearing all about it!

You're too kind. Thank you sir. It was really a great honor and everyone carried themselves with earnestness, friendliness, shyness and aplomb down in TCM-land.

And dude, never EVER show your girlfriend the competition...especially if she likes those tall lanky Gary Cooper, Joel McCrea, Gregory Peck types. ;-)

Kyle, save me a seat at the end of the bar. Your outro was fabulous; again you made so

many great points and I can tell Mr. O thoroughly enjoyed sitting and talking with you. As

did we all. Well done, maestro.

*"I'm glad you got to make those points though we didn't get to hear your favorite actors, I prefer your remarks about the ending."* - lzcutter

RO never asked me about "Favorite Actors or Actresses" (that I can remember anyway). He did ask how long I've been a viewer of TCM which had me telling him my earliest memory that I could pinpoint to a specific event was when he was in LA doing commentary from the Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank. We surmised (with help from the director) that occured in 1998.

I was glad to see I remembered to include how the character of John Willoughby himself was a charismatic person (as demonstrated in the imaginary baseball scene) and that the persona of "John Doe" created by Ann Mitchell wasn't completely outside the realm of believeablity for this man. I had forgotten I said it.

The pumpkin's gotta go to work.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"I even stayed up later than usual to watch your outro comments and I'm dead tired this morning because my doggy won't let me sleep past 6:30."* - helenbaby

>

> I'm flattered you'd give up sleep to listen to me get chatted up by Robert Osborne. Thank you for telling me so. You're a dear.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

After I read your response, I hope you don't think I'm blaming you because I don't have good sense to go to bed at a decent time. But you know I love you the very most. (And I don't mean that in a stalkerish way--I live across the country from you so don't worry.)