Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]The TCM 15th Anniversary Guest Programmers Thread[/b]

Coming down to the end of this. I have enjoyed each and every film more than ever before. Friday night's MALTESE may not be able to top my historic enjoyment of it, but who knows-! Since I was able to sit and watch all of SEVEN BRIDES for the first time ever, anything's possible!

SEVEN BRIDES has been a film that traditionally needed a Twonky zapping me as that film played on... "I have no complaints..."

Still... I love Bogart's entrance to Greenstreet's hotel suite, handing over Elisa Cook Jr's twin .45s. "Here, a crippled newsie took 'em away from him. I made 'im give 'em back." One of many great lines.

Great camera-angle choices, too... at ankle level, staring up at the huge bulk of Greenstreet, splayed out in his chair, when we first meet him. "Gutman" indeed.

Barton MacLane. Ward Bond. Another set of small roles for those two, but classic, all the same. (They would have another great pairing 9 years later in Cagney's KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE, which is probably my favorite Bond performance of all - well, favorite Bad Guy Bond, at least.)

It's going to be a great evening...and finally the suspense will be over for the last three FPs who get to see themselves and breathe easier. I promise you, you all did great. We all did.

Even after April exits and May comes upon us, when I watch TCM and see Robert Osborne making his introductions, I will look down at my special TCM mug on the coffeetable, and remember with a smile that I was a part of TCM history. : )

To (MG, Mongo, Lynn & Filmlover) Utterly marvelous jazz-(oops, a little *Sinatra lingo slipped-in there) But, you folks were terrific! I've known Joe about 8yrs now & lzcutter only a short time-(A PLUG> Check-out her sites that she & Mr. 0sborne touched-on) However, she did cite her all-time fav. actors a bit as well-(already knew Joe's of course. Also to Joe, was wondering why you didn't pick "Grapes of Wrath?" Not that "D. Indemnity' is not a heavyweight, but I think the fmr is you A No. #1) Back to Lynn's actors & those that watched of course know she cited>*Peck, *Wayne & *Cagney. Am most curious as to April's own favs though??? Obviously *V. Leigh, but how about just say top 5 of each. & her runner-up pictures? & to Peter the same question please

I've inquired before where can 1 locate any of your writing too? Not that I was among the 15-(did enter the previous contest though in May of 07) To (MG-neat name as well) if you could please drop a fellow Golden Age Buff a line & to be fair, my short list of own favs.-(fell in love with movies in 1979 & never looked back) Again pix are favs & not especially the greatest>*"Godfather" "Godfather, Part 11" "Kane" "Captains Courageous'-(was also *Tracy's own fav. in his diary) & *"Casablanca"/ Actors>*Spencer Tracy, *James Cagney & Steve McQueen (Honorable mention>*Sinatra due to his 6 decades of music) Actresses>N. Wood, Garbo & *Katharine Hepburn/ Behind the Camera>To quote *Orson Welles "I learned from the master's *John Ford, *John Ford and *John Ford" unquote Thank you & hope to hear from ya' & anyone else

Sorry it took me so long to respond folks! The end of tax season was grooling! However thanks to my Sis' DVR, I was able to catch up.

Mongo,

We have two connections. My Mom was born the same wonderful movie year and Alex Karras and his LOVELY wife, Susan Clark are best friends with my Brother's Father in Law. I met them at my Brother's wedding. You did a wonderful job and thanks for the kudos you gave EGR for his performance. It's too bad the only Oscar he received was the posthumous one he received in 1973. FANTASTIC JOB!

Juan,

You're an old soul......GREAT JOB!

My Pal LZ,

You were VERY ELEGANT! You brought me to tears when you described "LEST WE FORGET".

I could feel the passion you have for this film and that scene.

You looked very comfortable in the red chair. I know we won't forget your BEAUTIFUL, heartfelt description of a GREAT film. I know Mr Cutter was VERY PROUD, as I was. FABULOUS....

My Bud KJK,

You nailed "this kind of situation" very well. LOL! When you and Mr O go for that drink, don't forget your buddies (CEB, LZ and FILMLOVER) OK? I'm sure Gary Cooper and Miss Barbara Stanwyck threw you kisses from beyond.....BEAUTIFUL JOB, BUDDY!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up of tonights guest, Moira. I'm looking forward to watching Monica this evening with the "Maltese Falcon", a sweet gal that my daughter and I got acquainted with at the TCM get together. I believe that she taped the same day as I did.

I just got a chance to watch your intro/outro for *Meet John Doe* which is my absolute favorite film and you did a wonderful job. I love how you pointed out the wonderful screenplay by my fave screeenwriter Robert Riskin. He wrote in such a realistic, believable style that the conversations seem like they are happening in real time and not just memorized words.

I like how you noted too about how well Frank Capra was in mixing songs (usually folk type songs) into his films. Take Me Out to the Ballgame is a constant theme throughout *MJD*, The Man on the Flying Trapeze part in *It Happened One Night* is a lot of fun, and when they are all playing and singing Polly Wolly Doodle at the end of *You Can't Take it With You* I always get choked up and even though it's a silly song, it's still very moving.

I also think the ending for *MJD* is perfect. Preview audiences rejected the ending where John dies and I'm also glad they changed it. I was literally on the edge of my seat for most of this one the first time I saw it and I was so nervous that he was gonna die. I think it's also a very timely film especially when you take into account the recent "tea parties" across the country and the fact that at most of them, politicians were banned from speaking just as they were not allowed to join the John Doe clubs b/c they are just for the regular people.

That's neat that you saw yourself and your chance to be on TCM as similar to John's experience. I hope the other fan programmers didn't call you a tramp and throw tomatoes and newspapers at you - ha!

meetjohndoe.jpg

*Monica* was terrific; I saw her recording her segment and just as I thought then, she was so

articulate, and she really promoted the film noir genre; I hope all you noiristas noticed that!

Thanks for all your inputs - although I spend very little time on the TCM Boards - I consider myself one of their biggest fans too and loved reading about your experiences in November when you were chosen to be a part of this very special anniversary of my #1 favorite channel.

I thought that the guest programming was the highlight event - I watched everyone since I can record it on DirectTV and watch it anytime. I am sorry it is ending actually - as I write this it's not quite over.

I actually liked the YOU, the fan comments so much better than watching the Rose Osborne and Alec Baldwin comments - which I have fast forwarded through their comments because I found them both boring after hearing them once or twice. But I loved the unique and different comments from such a wide variety of people and am glad TCM has done this.

My best friend and I both have tried to come up with a top ten list of old movies for 20 years and we can only come up with a top 20 list each!

I certainly hope that TCM will replay this comments every time they 'reshow' those films in the future for those who missed it I think future viewers will enjoy seeing it.

Helen

> {quote:title=HLallo wrote:}{quote}

> I certainly hope that TCM will replay this comments every time they 'reshow' those films in the future for those who missed it I think future viewers will enjoy seeing it.

>

> Helen

Hi Helen, welcome to the boards! :)

I would love to see those comments available, too, although I wonder if TCM is legally able to show them more than once. (This might have to do with any agreements signed by the fan programmers). It would be very nice if they could at least put them in the Media Room for future reference.

Great outro by Monica, too - she is very lively and likeable.

Welcome H(elen)Lallo! Thank you for your comments.

Wasn't *Monica* adorable? I just love her obvious love and enthusiasm and she

KNOWS her Falcon. Wonderful.

I'm looking forward to Phil's selection up next, So Long at the Fair, because

I've always liked the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode that was made of the same story.

I had no idea until this event that a movie was made from it! And with Jean Simmons!

Can't wait.

Kyle, my main man, you rocked the joint with your intro, film choice, and outro!!! Great to see ya, man! Great stuff, and great film!

LZ, you also rocked the house, really dug seeing you chat with RO about TIE A YELLOW RIBBON!!!

Nice to "see" both of you, and thanks for your support of classic films!

Grrr... recording snafu.... but good intro/outro by Phillip. (The movie apparently started a bit ahead of schedule but I caught nearly all the intro).

Phillip really seems to have had a lot of empathy for Jean Simmons' character, that's always a good touch when coming from a guy. The other great part was when RO asked him about the difficulties for actors in making a transition from stage to film. Obviously Phillip was just the perfect person to ask.

And that example (Judith Anderson) was a really good one.

And that brought us to the last intro of the Fan Programmer event... Jay Looker... the story about having been a doorman at Radio City Music Hall was just terrific.

Well, good evening to all of my new found favorite Fan Programmers......

I am sorry it has taken me all week to send a message to you all, but work has been very, very busy for me this past week.

I have to confess.....

I did NOT catch everyone's intros to their favorite films this week. I was at work late almost every night. I did catch some of the intros, but unfortunately I did not tape any of them, so I guess for those of you that I did not see, I will just have to continue to settle for the wise and intelligent, thought provoking posts you all write here.

April: You, my dear were so sweet and very excited about introducing GWTW. I could tell from the first moment RO started to speak with you that he was carried away with your charm and beauty.

You did a great job! And my wife Annie really enjoyed the intro and the movie as well. I think this was the first time she has ever watched this film from beginning to end. She was captivated by the film, as I was.

I also caught Kyle's intro, Lynn's intro and Teresa's intro.

Lynn, you are one special lady! I could really see why you would get choked up about the scene with Nathan and his reading glasses. Very enthusiastic about this film. As any student of cinema should be. One question for you:

Have you ever been to the Trading Post where the film was shot. I believe I may have mentioned in an earlier post that my wife and I visited there several years ago. I got chills running up my backside once I stepped into Nathan's cabin and also when i saw the big, beautiful red mesas in the distance. Highly recommend any movie fan go there and soak this stuff up.

Kyle, you are one very interesting person to listen to. I have always found your posts very enlightening, but your conversation with RO was really cool. You really got into it didn't you?

It showed how much a real movie fan you are. I would venture to say that you will be one popular guy at your bar in the coming months if not years!!

Teresa, I have to admit, I had never seen The Letter before. And I have to agree with what you had to say about that film. I am so glad you introduced that film to me. I was intrigued from the moment Ms. Davis walked down those steps blasting away. Just a wonderful film. Thank you for your appearance.

In fact, I want you all to know how proud I am to have been allowed to correspond with some of you over the past few years. There are not really that many friends I hang out with on a daily if not weekly basis that share my enthusiastic views on classic film as you all do.

I don't want to get all mushy here, but I find that with all of you I have not only been able to gain valuable information, stories and other knowledge about classic movies, but I'd like to think that I have also been able to make new friends here, friends I can hang around with for the rest of my days. And being able to finally put a face and now a voice with your screen names, is even more valuable to me than most of you will ever know.

Thanks again to all of you this week in making my coming home each night a place to hang out a while and watch my new friends gush all over their favorite movies.

See ya on the boards.....

Fxreyman

(Rey)

P.S. What was it like sitting in that big leather (?) chair. I hope it was as comfortable to sit in as it seems to be on the TV!!!

Wow, what a week it's been! I certainly think TCM deserves the gratitude of all its viewers for having gone to such lengths to bring us the voice of, well, ordinary viewers, to present these movies.

And thanks to _all 15 fan programmers_ for participating so enthusiastically in this anniversary event. :D

*Lynn, you are one special lady! I could really see why you would get choked up about the scene with Nathan and his reading glasses. Very enthusiastic about this film*

Rey,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I really do appreciate them. I was afraid I came off as too professorially in my remarks but it has given me many smiles to know that I am my worst critic and that you and so many others appreciated my quiet approach to one of my favorite films. My favorite scene hits me on many emotional levels. I really do think John Wayne was a good actor who gave us characters who were more than just him playing himself. They are, in fact, some of the best drawn characters, especially Ethan Edwards with a shout out to Tom Dunson, Rusty Warren and Tom Doniphon as well as Nathan Brittles along the way, of our cinematic history.

I remember where I was when I heard the news that Wayne had passed away. I was in college here in the City of Angels and was watching the evening local newscast. They announced Wayne had passed and showed my favorite scene from *Yellow Ribbon*.

I hope that Mr C and I will finally make our long talked about trip to Monument Valley, maybe next year. We were going to go two years but got sidetracked by my dad's illness. I still plan to go for him, my Johns and all the ghosts of John Ford movies that live there.

*There are not really that many friends I hang out with on a daily if not weekly basis that share my enthusiastic views on classic film as you all do.*

Rey, you have touched upon the very key element that is at the heart of this community. It is a place where all of us, as film lovers and film scholars, can come together to talk about something we feel passionately about, our love of film and our love of TCM.

Again, thank you for the kind words not only about me but about what this community means not only for you but for all of us who love film.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> I hope that Mr C and I will finally make our long talked about trip to Monument Valley, maybe next year. We were going to go two years but got sidetracked by my dad's illness. I still plan to go for him, my Johns and all the ghosts of John Ford movies that live there.

>

Lynn,

Sorry to hear about your dad's illness. My best wishes to you and MrC and hope you'll be able to take that trip to Monument Valley some day soon.

*LZ, you also rocked the house, really dug seeing you chat with RO about TIE A YELLOW RIBBON Nice to "see" both of you, and thanks for your support of classic films!*

Mark,

It's one of the things I love about TCM, the big tent of film. It may sometimes put us at odds but we can't deny or forget that which brings us back to this community time and time again, our love of film.

Thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoyed the film and I look forward to our many discussions still to come!

"Teresa, I have to admit, I had never seen 'The Letter' before. And I have to agree with what you had to say about that film. I am so glad you introduced that film to me. I was intrigued from the moment Ms. Davis walked down those steps blasting away. Just a wonderful film. Thank you for your appearance."

Fxreyman, I am touched by your words. Classic films mean a lot to me, and if a suggestion of mine can get one person interested in a great old film...I'm happy. Thank you so much for your kind words. TCM offered me (and the other Programmers) a dream come true. Thank you for being receptive of the honor.

Sincerely...

Message was edited by CineMaven because I must add that someone accused me of making snide and scornful comments. Those are reserved just for the disingenuous on the Message Board.

And I kept hoping CM had put THE LETTER on just to prove she could make ME enjoy a Bette Davis-kills-another-guy film. Darn. I hate it when she's right. bam-bam-bam-bam... "Some of those shots look like they were fired when he was on his back..." Yeah well, upright, men have certain advantages... what's a woman to do?

*...if a suggestion of mine can get one person interested in a great old film...I'm happy.* - CM

Still haven't watched it yet. Hopefully I'll make my deadline on the 20th. :-)