Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Day of Noir and Gangsters on TCM 3/10

On Tuesday, March 10, TCM will be showing almost a full day's worth of film noir and gangster movies. The schedule is as follows:

*I Was Framed* (1942) 6am ET

A news man's political investigations land him in prison.

Cast: Michael Ames, Julie Bishop, Regis Toomey, Patty Hale Dir: D. Ross Lederman BW-62 mins, TV-G

*Escape From Crime* (1942) 7:15am ET

An ex-con becomes a daredevil photojournalist.

Cast: Richard Travis, Julie Bishop, Jackie C. Gleason, Frank Wilcox Dir: D. Ross Lederman BW-51 mins, TV-G

*Follow Me Quietly* (1949) 8:15am ET

Police track a mysterious killer nicknamed "The Judge."

Cast: William Lundigan, Dorothy Patrick, Jeff Corey, Nestor Paiva Dir: Richard O. Fleischer BW-59 mins, TV-14

*The Unsuspected* (1947) 9:15am ET

The producer of a radio crime series commits the perfect crime, then has to put the case on the air.

Cast: Joan Caulfield, Claude Rains, Audrey Totter, Constance Bennett Dir: Michael Curtiz BW-103 mins, TV-PG

*Detour* (1945) 11am ET

A hitchhiker takes on a dead man's identity only to face blackmail by an unscrupulous woman.

Cast: Tom Neal, Ann Savage, Claudia Drake, Edmund MacDonald Dir: Edgar G. Ulmer BW-68 mins, TV-PG

*The Mask Of Dimitrios* (1944) 12:15pm ET

A meek novelist investigates the mysterious death of a notorious scoundrel.

Cast: Sydney Greenstreet, Zachary Scott, Faye Emerson, Peter Lorre Dir: Jean Negulesco BW-96 mins, TV-PG

*Born To Kill* (1947) 2:15pm ET

A murderer marries a young innocent then goes after her more experienced sister.

Cast: Claire Trevor, Lawrence Tierney, Walter Slezak, Phillip Terry Dir: Robert Wise BW-92 mins, TV-PG

*Johnny Eager* (1942) 4pm ET

A handsome racketeer seduces the DA's daughter for revenge, then falls in love.

Cast: Robert Taylor, Lana Turner, Edward Arnold, Van Heflin Dir: Mervyn LeRoy BW-107 mins, TV-G

*Scene Of The Crime* (1949) 6pm ET

A detective tries to solve a policeman's murder.

Cast: Van Johnson, Arlene Dahl, Gloria De Haven, Tom Drake Dir: Roy Rowland BW-94 mins, TV-PG

Wow, - and many thanks for posting this, FF!! I'll have to sharpen up the VCR, lol. Have seen three of these, 'Detour' is a high-tension ride, literally, an I especially love the real exterior shots on the road - thing is if i did ever see this film from start to finish, I'm hazy, I guess. I can't for the life of me recal the beginning OR the end, so I am looking for ward to this one, for sure!

Robert Taylor's duplicitous Johnny Eager (another really good film) is on camera nearly every second, and his operation gives new meaning to the term 'organized crime'. Talylor's portrayal of this multi-layered crime boss is spot on, imo. We come to know him best however, through the innebriated character played so nicely by Van Heflin. Lana Turner is just stunning as the girl he starts out trying to snow - but I'll just stop there.

1949's 'Follow Me Quietly', though not quite as emotionally fraught, still has some dandy elements. I love any cop movie where the killer being sought has an MO so unique that he is given a cool handle, in this case, "The Judge". Again, realistic exteriors round out the film's ending which is quite well-photographed, if I am remembering correctly. Personal note - This is also the film in which I fell hard for tall, light and handsome William Lundigan, who would look as great on a surfboard, as in his 40's detective duds.

Ahh. I would love nothing more than to stay home from work (while still engaging the sitter) and just watch film after glorious film - all day long. Let me see what I can do....

Pia

*Ahh. I would love nothing more than to stay home from work (while still engaging the sitter) and just watch film after glorious film - all day long. Let me see what I can do....*

Best of luck with either staying home to watch the TCM lineup, or getting the VCR ready to record everything you might want to watch later.

It's really going to be an exciting day for TCM viewers. I don't even know how many of these I might be recording next Tuesday. B-)

Lol, thanks! I did get 'clear' to watch Lucille Ball in her mystery/crime film tonight at 8pm and I am really, really looking forward. Give me Scotland Yard, and I am SO there! So maybe my luck will hold for tomorrow! I'll at least be able to catch the first three or four on the VCR. FF, check your PMs.

Pia

Well I take it you must be watching *Lured* at this very moment. I'm just recording it for later. At least the print looks pretty good. I looked it up and it seems to be a PD film, there's several versions out on DVD and I don't know if any of them look very good.

Yes! I watched *Lured* ! -great title, btw, however I only caught a word here and there of RO's intro - something about the title itself - which I found to be quite apt. Enjoyed it immensely, but will say no more about it yet. Got to give folks like yourself who didn't watch a chance to view their recording!

Pia

Yes, I saw Detour, and most of the 2 after that. Not as many as I would have liked, believe me! My best bet these days is if I wake up super early, and watch whats on at 4 and sometimes at 6am.

Last night (rather, this morning!) I wanted badly to watch 'Nightmare Honeymoon' - not that the synopses were in affect until mid way through the film. I woke about 35 minutes into the film - but the action I had missed, while very important, was talked about almost exclusively - so I could tell the deal pretty much right away. It was a movie from 1973, and I only hope they plan to repeat it soon, so that I may record and see it from the beginning. It was quite good, pretty intense, and not in the least bit cheesy - as the Friday-into-Saturday films sometimes can be. I thought the young male and female leads were both excellent - although I have never heard of them - and the verdant French Quarter and surrounding areas of New Orleans (it must have been springtime) made for a beautiful location, with the grey skies and real rain reflecting the mood of the film perfectly.

Does anyone else know this movie or anything about it?

Did you notice any glitch in the transmission at the beginning of the first movie? I think it was "I Was Framed".

I'm afraid I don't know much about "Nightmare Honeymoon", I looked it up in a few film guides and it wasn't even listed. I think I ended up recording it, but I won't be in a rush to watch it.

Of course, I don't know your taste in films, what genres & eras are your thing and all, but even if I were not a fan of early 70's suspense (my mom turned me onto these drama, being a huge fan of the early made-for-TV movies, which I understand, launched in the late 60's, early 70s that she loved to watch as a kid. That was back in the day where you had ONE big color family TV in the 'den', family, or living room, and everyone watched what DAD wanted to watch!) Maybe *Nightmare Honeymoon* was one of those, I can't recall if there was any TV-forbidden language. But as I say, even if this wasn't one of my fave genres and eraa - which it IS - I know I would certainly not have been bored. If nothing else, I would categorize it as 'highly watchable', due to the suspense, the action and the acting, as I mentioned before was quite good - realistic and natural. Give it a whirl, if you've the time. You might find you enjoy it.

Sorry, red,I can't give an opinion about a glitch, I wasn't able to watch the first film.

In one of the early posts, RedH noted DETOUR's "fuzzy" video quality and I've seen two DVD products of this, and all have the same less-than-average video quality. And like he said, it still doesn't remove the interesting portrayals delivered on screen. I like the way the voice-over is used in the film - and the story gives us a real 'enemy' to root against. That her demise is fairly unlikely doesn't bother me enough to discount the wonderfully fanciful tale. It's a good "What If-?" story line that the narration helps maintain.

I WAS FRAMED, SCENE OF THE CRIME and ESCAPE FROM CRIME were the films I'd never seen, and I will be watching those over and over again. None were great films, but all were interesting, in both stories, a few memorable scenes and I enjoyed all the roles that the more famous actors stepped into. Good roles, I thought - probably not the best of their careers, but still, good stuff.

FOLLOW ME QUIETLY was the answer in a British forum's Name That Film quiz, with someone describing the rainy-detective-office scene, where The Judge has replaced the dummy with his own very still self. An excellent and thrilling bit of horror thrown in there. I have to admit that it is The Scene I always remember.

Well, I missed the 'drama' (****. as in 'dramamine') but it was fun to be reminded of this old Twilight Zone' episode. "O, thats REAL good, Billy, its a REAL good thing you turned Joe into a Jack in the Box!

Shivers! The mind of Rod Serling and the other writers on that show unbelievable imaginations!