Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you could dress like the stars...

I absolutely love the fashions of yesteryear. My favorite clothes for both men and women are from the 20s and 30s, but I have no problem with the 40s and 50s, or the Victorian age for that matter. I have a few vintage pieces from each era I have no shame wearing today, and there isn't anything I find sexier than a man in a fedora and long overcoat.

If you had to pick a style and era to dress yourself in, what would that be?

Also, kids clothes are as important, and anything for a child fashioned in the 20s through the 50s is up my alley. :-)

AND! If you could choose one outfit for yourself from any movie or any star, who or what would it be?

First of all let me state I would not necessarily look good in all of these fashions, but the clothes themselves would be my choices. I, too, like the fashions of 20's, 30's, and 40's, and also Victorian. I would love the have one of those high neck with mutton sleeves dresses in the Victorian style. Something made of georgette with lots of lace. Then, I want something in teal silk with a peacock embroidered on the back from the 20's. The 30's look would have to be a gold lame' evening dress. The 40's dress would be a very tailored suit, with a big gaudy diamond and emerald broach pinned on the shoulder. I am not asking for much! The dress I would love to have from a movie is the gown Scarlett O'Hara wore at the Wilkes BBQ. I saw that dress in a museum display and fell in love with it.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> I wish I had the body to be able to dress like Johnny Weismuller....

I don't think you need ot have a body to dress like Mr.Weismuller, unless you mean when he's dressed as Tarzan, then...lol

> {quote:title=lulu2u wrote:}{quote}

> First of all let me state I would not necessarily look good in all of these fashions, but the clothes themselves would be my choices. I, too, like the fashions of 20's, 30's, and 40's, and also Victorian. I would love the have one of those high neck with mutton sleeves dresses in the Victorian style. Something made of georgette with lots of lace. Then, I want something in teal silk with a peacock embroidered on the back from the 20's. The 30's look would have to be a gold lame' evening dress. The 40's dress would be a very tailored suit, with a big gaudy diamond and emerald broach pinned on the shoulder. I am not asking for much! The dress I would love to have from a movie is the gown Scarlett O'Hara wore at the Wilkes BBQ. I saw that dress in a museum display and fell in love with it.

I like that style Victorian dress and the others you described. I have a collection of broaches, hats and gloves and shoes from the various decades. I also have jackets and coats. My fave is a Victorian coat with a velvet collar, but I also have a 40s mutton swing coat, in gorgeous shape, but boy is it heavy!

My mom had a gold lame' and wore it as late as the 80s to a New Year's Eve dance. lol

How lucky are you to have seen the BBQ dress in person? I'd say so very lucky! :-)

> {quote:title=RainingViolets101 wrote:}{quote}

> The very last dresses worn by Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen

> in White Christmas, they took my breath away, the lovely red silk

> with the ermine trim - I had one of them copied but I have nowhere to

> wear it. LOL

Shoot! I'd find some place to wear it, even if I had to throw my own dinner party at home for the holdidays. lol What fun!

All the outfits that Doris Day wore in The Glass Bottom Boat...

That formal with the daisies attached all the checked and polka dotted clothes, just love them. I have a couple of Sportsac purses, one's plaid (black and pink and lavendar) and the other polka dotted (pink with white dots). I always call them my Dodo Day purses.

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> All the outfits that Doris Day wore in The Glass Bottom Boat...

>

> That formal with the daisies attached all the checked and polka dotted clothes, just love them. I have a couple of Sportsac purses, one's plaid (black and pink and lavendar) and the other polka dotted (pink with white dots). I always call them my Dodo Day purses.

I didn't think of Doris Day, but now that you mention her, she did wear some pretty nice duds in her movies.

I liked The Glass Bottom Boat and, yes, her clothes in that were pretty hep! Mod, no? lol :-)

georgiegirl wrote:

<< Also, kids clothes are as important, and anything for a child fashioned in the 20s through the 50s is up my alley. >>

I would simply be glad if kids in general dressed like they did during the 1940's - 1960's. I hate what they wear today.

As far as women general clothing goes here is some 1940's patterns http://www.sensibility.com/vintageimages/1940s/

Georgiegirl, I want to come over to your house and play "dress-up" with all of those clothes you mentioned. I love old fashions. That's one of the reasons I love to watch classic films. What the sets look like and what the actors are wearing set the tone of the film. As far as the BBQ dress, when I saw it several years ago it looked as if it had been made that day. Fresh and modern. It did not look "30's" or Civil War circa. The kind of dress a young girl would want to wear at the Prom, but like Mammy, your own mother would say, "You are showing too much shoulder!" It is a shame that in the movie, Gone With the Wind, there could not have been a scene showing Scarlett dancing in that dress. All that beautiful material (I'm guessing chiffon) swaying and swirling around with the Tarleton Twins and Wade Hamilton wiping the drool off their chins and Rhett running his index finger under his mustache with "that look" in his eye. But since that didn't happen we will all have to be content to run that little scene in our heads with our own self playing the part of Scarlett, of course.

> {quote:title=lulu2u wrote:}{quote}

> Georgiegirl, I want to come over to your house and play "dress-up" with all of those clothes you mentioned. I love old fashions. That's one of the reasons I love to watch classic films. What the sets look like and what the actors are wearing set the tone of the film. As far as the BBQ dress, when I saw it several years ago it looked as if it had been made that day. Fresh and modern. It did not look "30's" or Civil War circa. The kind of dress a young girl would want to wear at the Prom, but like Mammy, your own mother would say, "You are showing too much shoulder!" It is a shame that in the movie, Gone With the Wind, there could not have been a scene showing Scarlett dancing in that dress. All that beautiful material (I'm guessing chiffon) swaying and swirling around with the Tarleton Twins and Wade Hamilton wiping the drool off their chins and Rhett running his index finger under his mustache with "that look" in his eye. But since that didn't happen we will all have to be content to run that little scene in our heads with our own self playing the part of Scarlett, of course.

Lulu, too funny. Come to my house and play, "dress-up." lol I did that all the time as a kid with my mom's old clothes, and now I have them and the trunk I use to dig through and put on a fashion show for Mom. lol My little nieces are into the 'dressing-up" big time! But what little girls aren't? So cute! lol

You're absolutely right about the BBQ dress never getting a chance out on a dance floor to swirl around as it should. You could have asked the museum curator if you could take it for one quick spin around the floor. Ha! :-)

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:}{quote}

> i would be Garbo in Mata Hari

Good choice! If I had the proper clothes in my mom's old trunk, I'd invite you to come to my house with Lulu to play dress-up. lol

Message was edited by: georgiegirl

Absolutely Grace Kelly! What about her clothes in It Takes a Thief ? Add to that list for me, Carol Lombard and that earlier icon who couldn't say her 'Rs'. Dang, I forget her name!

Kay Frances! :-) Whew, the old brain came through once again. lol

Message was edited by: georgiegirl

What an *incredible* idea for a thread!! Props to you, Gerogie, and btw, your name is one of my very fave films of all time!! ALSO, btw, I'll be over with lulu and the rest, we can ALL bring our wonderful stuff, put it in a huge pile in the center of the room and just go to town, amidst all our 'oohs' and 'ahs'!! We'll then have to model our outfits. Maybe we girls can try and think of three actors - pre 1980, lets say - who we'd like to be in the 'audience'. for that! I'll take Gregory Peck,Alan Bates and the pre-code Wallace Ford, who got the pleasure of seeing Harlow dance erotically - just for HIM!, in, I think, *Beast of the City*. Whoo!

But back to the *clothes*! Where o where to even start! I guess, with my namesake, Pia Degermark's white lacy, high-collared blouse, pale yellow skirt with bustle, and fitted jacket, in the exquisite 1967 Swedish film, *Elvira Madigan*. The entire outfit was a considered a 'ladies' traveling suit;, circa 1880-ish - but I liked it on the 16-year-old actress best when she left off the jacket, unbuttoned the blouse, rolled the sleeves to her elbows and hiked up the bustled skirt, tucking it into her beautiful white cotton bloomers (with ruffled edge, of course!) so that she could practice her tightrope dancing (she borrowed a clothesline, then returned it!) .White 'thigh-high' opaque stockings, pale white leather Victorian lace-up boots and white flat-brimmed, classic straw hat with gros grain band completed the summer 'ensemble'. (Imagine her gliding along a verdant country road beside her handsome lover, with ruffled parasol!

I think next, I'll travel to Paris, during the Art Nouveau period of poster art and allow Jose Ferrer as *Toulouse-Lautrec* (and even an Impressionist or two) to paint me and mes amies jolies from Les Folies Bergeres! Ah - the PETTICOATS!!

Next, I think something Barbara Stanwyk may have worn on *The Titanic*, (1954, I think). I love the fitted 'shirtwaist'' blouses with 3/4 sleeves and simple Edwardian skirts, the 'Belle'Epoque', uniformly upswept bun (held with just ONE pin, of course)

After that, I adore the simple, fitted summer print 'day dresses' , from the late 30's and early 40's. just simple cotton, button-down 'frocks' a regular gal would wear on a warm summer day - with a hat and white gloves, of course, if she left the house.

Then, its beautiful Yvette Mimeuix's wardrobe in,1960's *Where the Boys Are* again a classic waisted sundress with wide skirt, worn with a key-lime-minty green cashmere cross between a shrug and a regular cardigan, with white pearl buttons and gros grain placket , or one in buttercream, with seed pearl- embellished neckline to die for (I actually own these 2 sweaters!)

I also own about six 30's & 40's silk and satin, bias-cut vintage slips (that I've worn as slip-DRESSES) in the most glorious paler-than-pastel shades. One, in particular, my favorite, is a shade I can only think of as 'pale French glacier', the sheerest blue color so light as to appear almost not there! I have also been lucky enought to have found several vintage satin floral bed jackets and a single pair of pale peach & embroidered lace tap pants with the tiniest buttons I've ever seen - these I do not dare wear, altho they do fit.

As for more recent decades, not much - haven't given it tons of thought, lol! Oh - except for the grey-green linen/wool business suit Melanie Griffith wears in one scene, in *Working Girl*. That was classy and classic.

Sorry to drone on but I guess I just got to really thinking about this. I'm a decorator, (also a vintage 20thC buff,) so I'm nearly always looking at thesets - interiors - especially kitchens - cars, and location shots, especially shots of cities. Great thread, georgiegirl!

Message was edited by: Pia

I started this thread because movies have influenced me in more ways than one, especially in the way I dress, the interior design of my home, and in the choice of my home, which is Victorian. I was curious to see if others were as deeply affected by the movies. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with the old styles. lol

Georgy Girl was on this morning on TCM. That?s where my nickname comes from. I?ve been called Georgie Girl for so long now, when anyone uses my real name it sounds so odd. By the way, my real name is Georgann, hence the nickname. (Phonetically, George-Ann. I was named after my parents)

I?m inviting Gable, Garfield, Capra, John Boles, and of the current heartthrobs Johnny Depp, to sit in our audience and watch along with your chosen guest as we walk the catwalk in our Hollywood inspired garb. ( I guess you?d have to call me a cougar adding Mr. Depp. I just learned that word. I don?t like it, but such is the vernacular of the times, so... Well, come to think of it, seeing as this is a fantasy, I?m all of 21. Ha!)

Okay, I?ll add my outfits to yours and the rest of the ladies here and we?ll get this show on the road.

I have many silk pajama sets, with robes, from the orient, circa 20/30s. (My dad was a longshoreman and they happen to fall off the ships and he brought home scads of them for my mom.) Not to mention the step-ins and other assorted silk and satin lingerie and undies I can contribute. I also have a collection of dresses, coats, gloves, shoes, and hats, as well. My favorite pair of shoes is a brown suede high heel, ankle strap I call my Crawfords. lol

I not only love the clothes, I love just about everything from the past. I had a 53 Buick Roadmaster, which I hated selling, and my living room and bedroom sets are from the 30's. I also have a wringer washer which I use to do wash. lol The only things in my home new are my TVs and a black onyx top dining room set that looks Victorian. I have a collection of chenille bedspreads and countless vases from a variety of decades, and tablecloths and dish sets. I love to decorate, but I?m not a professional, though I?ve been told I have a good eye for design and should be. Not bragging, well, guess I am. lol But I'd rather call it sharing.

Anyway, the dining room is cleared of furniture, the stage is set, and I?m hoping others will join us in our fashion show and salute to the ladies and set designs of Hollywood.

Just a side note. Of course, all the stuff I have of my mom's was bequeathed, but I started collecting in the 70s and nothing I have cost me more than 75 bucks, which was a helluva lot of money back then. :-)

Of course! You'd have to be dressed elegantly to vacation in Monaco with Cary!

Like you, I love watching the movies of the 30's and 40's for the clothes. I always find it fascinating that an actress will get out of bed and don a morning gown that I'd wear to the Oscars. I think the (still-hanging-on art deco) lines and form fitting pieces were equisite.

I also love watching the ritual of women sitting down in a restaurant or a club, removing her gloves, hat, fur coat and lighting up cigarette while downing a martini and then perfectly dancing when asked.

I also like Doris Day's wardrobe like the other threadling. Immaculate but with a hint of naughty. The outfit she wears avec chapeau the morning of David Niven's slap in "Don't Eat the Daisies".

I already mentioned Elizabeth Taylor but two pieces really stay with me. The white gown she wears in "A Place in the Sun" where she sees Monty playing pool and the fabulous white day dress in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".

I wore one of my mom's nighties to a formal back in the late 60's early 70s. And I'd wear one of them today if I was still built like I was back then. :-( lol

Yeah, Doris wore some naughty clothes for a goody-two-shoes. Her white evening gown, with plunging back, I think in Pillow Talk, was pretty naughty for her. lol

I so wish hats and gloves would come back. I wear them but it's not the same. No one removed her hat, coat and gloves better than Nora Charles. And few men looked as good in clothes as Nick.

As for men on film and their attire. To name a few who did it for me, Gable in San Francisco and Manhattan Melodrama, sigh. Cagney in any gangster flick. :-)

The only piece of men's wardrobe I have is a fedora and a pair of PJs that belonged to my dad. But I found a gorgeous man's long overcoat from the 40s-50s. I gave that to my brother-in-law who looks like Bogey. lol