Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Famous "Entrances"?

Guest Evoraman

Guest Evoraman

Sometimes an actor sticks out in your memory simply for the way they "entered" a scene in the movie like Tim Curry in THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. Can anybody think of some classic films where the actor or actress (preferably in their film debut) made a unique entrance?

Guest olmsted, l

One of my all time favorite films (as you'll see my message on the 50's comedy board) is Some Like it Hot and when Marilyn enters in the train station, the moment is subtly spectacular!

I just watched "Cape Fear" on AMC. Good movie. I would have to pick Bette Davis when she came out shooting at the beginning of "The Letter". What an entrance. Also Clark Gable in "Gone With the Wind". All he had to do was just stand there.

• 2 months later...
Guest Griffin, Mark

La Streisand is the champion at grand entrances...Remember her long, wordless walk into the Ziegfeld theatre at the beginning of "Funny Girl"...True divaesque suspense builds until she catches her own reflection in a mirror and quips, "Hello, Gorgeous!" The Goddess Barbra's first appearance in "The Prince of Tides" (1991) is pretty memorable as well. Nick Nolte has been kept waiting in his sister's psychiatrist's posh lobby. Finally, the door swings open and there stands Our Lady of Brooklyn in a Malibu bleached page-boy haircut regally introducing herself to Nick's Tom Wingo with, "Hello. I'm Doctor Lowenstein." There hadn't been a celluloid entrance so grandly orchestrated since the days of Marlene Dietrich.

One of my all time favorite entrances was when Grace Kelly made her way through a soft focus haze to kiss James Stewart in Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window".

Guest son, jery

I'll never forget waiting to glimpse Garbo in "Queen Christina." She doesn't appear until 20 minutes into the movie. First, you see a masculine figure striding up a flight of steps, wearing a huge, feathered hat. Then the camera moves in on the hat. The face rises up and there she is--a stunning effect--as the camera moves in for a close-up.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pussycat

The entrance of both william powell by discussing how a drink should be stirred and Myrna Loy dragged into the bar by Asta. All the thin man movies were just fabelous!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest finnie12, moira

It's not exactly a golden age classic, but John Candy's entrance as Tom Hanks' brother in "Splash" always cracks me up--Candy bursts out of a flashy red sports car brandishing several issues of Penthouse magazine. He proceeds to gleefully hand out the magazine to everyone with the announcement that his letter entitled, "A lesbian no more" has just been printed by the notorious rag. This description may sound vulgar in print, but Candy's ebullient good nature and endearing manner with this material is infectious--he is like a little boy who's just learned to ride his bike without training wheels.

Guest King, Cooler

Sean Connery, Dr. No One of the most well-known entrances in filmdom. Whether you like Bond or not, it resonates. Lee Marvin, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Brutal, sadistic beating of Jimmy Stewart character. And a voice like no other.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my fave is Greta Garbo's entrance in ANNA KARENINA. At the train station Vronsky (Fredric March), is waiting to meet his mother. As he stands there, the steam from the train covers everything, but when the smoke clears...

Guest moviejoe79

Bette Davis in "Now, Voyager" after she goes through her transformation - that's the first one that comes to my mind - especially how it was shot - starting at her feet, and moving up her body with the music climbing - and then it stops at her tilted hat, and she lifts her head to reveal the "transformed" Charlotte Vale, her entrance back into the world after her nervous breakdown - a great scene, and a great film.

• 2 months later...

Errol Flynn's entrance to Sir Guy's castle as Robin Hood in The Adventures of Robin Hood is by far, one of the best screen entrances.

Carrying the deer across his shoulders, knocking the antlers into the guards then swaggering into the hall...a great moment on the screen