Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zasupittsfan

ZaSu Pitts needs a Star of the Month treatment

Such a wide array of brilliant silent performances, including the classic "Greed". Not to mention her hilarious starring comedic roles throughout the '30's and into the 1940's. She has well over 200 films to her credit, and I don't think that modern movie audiences are even remotely aware of her. There is something genuinely timeless about her. I hope that Turner Classic Movies will come to their senses and give her a proper Star of the Month treatment (a new DVD collection of some of her more substantial film performances wouldn't hurt either). All of those great shorts with Thelma Todd certainly need to see the light of day, at the very least.

> {quote:title=zasupittsfan wrote:}{quote}

> Such a wide array of brilliant silent performances, including the classic "Greed". Not to mention her hilarious starring comedic roles throughout the '30's and into the 1940's. She has well over 200 films to her credit, and I don't think that modern movie audiences are even remotely aware of her. There is something genuinely timeless about her. I hope that Turner Classic Movies will come to their senses and give her a proper Star of the Month treatment (a new DVD collection of some of her more substantial film performances wouldn't hurt either). All of those great shorts with Thelma Todd certainly need to see the light of day, at the very least.

I agree! She was a sketch! lol

I whole-heartedly support ZaSu as Star of the Month...there are certainly enough films!* It would be GREAT to finally see her ultra-rare Universal features co-starring Slim Summerville (LITTLE ACCIDENT; FREE LOVE; BAD SISTER; UNEXPECTED FATHER; THEY JUST HAD TO GET MARRIED; OUT ALL NIGHT; HER FIRST MATE; LOVE, HONOR AND OH BABY!; LOVE BIRDS).

*Here's 30......

GREED (1924); THE WEDDING MARCH (1928); HER PRIVATE LIFE (1929); OH, YEAH! (1929); THE SQUEALER (1930); WAR NURSE (1930); PASSION FLOWER (1930); SIN TAKES A HOLIDAY (1930); BEYOND VICTORY (1931); A WOMAN OF EXPERIENCE (1931); THE GUARDSMAN (1931); THE SECRET WITNESS (1931); STRANGERS OF THE EVENING (1932); SHOPWORN (1932); WESTWARD PASSAGE (1932); IS MY FACE RED? (1932); ROAR OF THE DRAGON (1932); BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES (1932); THE CROOKED CIRCLE (1932); PROFESSIONAL SWEETHEART (1933); MEET THE BARON (1933);TWO ALONE (1934); DAMES (1934); THEIR BIG MOMENT (1934); GOING HIGHBROW (1935); MAD HOLIDAY (1936); THE PLOT THICKENS (1936); FORTY NAUGHTY GIRLS (1937); BROADWAY LIMITED (1941); MEET THE MOB [sO'S YOUR AUNT EMMA](1942).

This does not include ZaSu's 2-reelers with Thelma Todd.

Some of my favorite ZaSu Pitts features are "Their Big Moment" and "Sing and Like It", both of which are from 1934. There was a recent DVD release of her giving a fantastic dramatic performance in a 1925 silent feature entitled "Lazybones". I do agree about her Universal features with "Slim" Summerville very much needing to see the light of day. I am reminded of another film with ZaSu called "The Meanest Gal in Town"; in which her love interest was El Brendel. I thought ZaSu gave an incredibly diverse performance, actually. She was doing something a little bit different other than just being purely neurotic, but I fear that Pert Kelton was awfully distracting in the film (and not in a good way). Still, it was a rather decent film on the whole. It would have been interesting had she worked with El Brendel a little more, they actually made for a rather curious comedic-romantic pairing.