Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Government photos, movie dames, WW II

After a lifetime of watching movies, I think stockings in the '30s and early '40s were silk.

Then because of the war effort, they switched over to cotton.

Then someone invented Nylon stockings.

Then pantihose came along in the 1960s.

The stories they've told! Another load of RKO Radio typewriters is turned in to the government for war work. Somewhere in the lot is Maureen O'Harra's personal typewriter which she added to the pile before she would pose in the picture. The machines come from the script department where each one has played its role in recording countless memorable senes for screenplays. Taking time off between the shooting of scenes at the RKO Studios in Hollywood, Miss O'Harra helped collect more than seventy typewriters for future use by the Army, Navy, and Marines.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/b?ammem/fsaall:LC-USE6-D-006761:collection=fsa

Yeah, for sure silk stockings were the rage and only kind of stocking worth wearing. lol I have a bunch of silk pairs with seams in them, but the two pairs I thought were heavy silk I now believe are the cotton. My mom was a clothes horse and dressed quite well in her day, which was the 20s, 30s, and I know in the 40s she and my dad made concessions where necessary, which leads me to further believe these heavy stockings are cotton. They almost seem orthopedic, but my mom, even in her old age, was not an orthopedic type of woman, so... And I remember seeing them in the trunk when I was a kid. lol

Actually, there were several kinds, including old type ?body stockings? for theatrical work in the 19th Century. But they had to be made to fit each individual person.

Ann could have invented a type used for movie dancing, such as by sewing stocking to underwear.

The kind invented in the 1960s were different because they were stretchable and were made from some new kind of plastic invented for NASA space suits. One size in the ?60s would fit several different sized people. This, plus the cost of the cheap fabric, made them instantly popular.