Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lunatics at Large

CaveGirl

I'm talking about ones in movies, not here at TCM [you know who you are!] or those posting and spouting daily gibberish.

Something about the "lunatic at large" maxim, coming over a radio or television news report, is always exciting, as long as it is only in the movies. My favorite of course, is from the 1970's movie "Tales From the Crypt". I choose the Santa in disguise, serial killer who is in the one of five segments in the film, which is called "All Around the House" based on the great story in an EC Comics issue, and this film is best seen at a drive-in for sure.

In this tale, Joan Collins portrays a woman who has just offed her hubby, and while cleaning up the mess, hears a report about a lunatic at large, which causes her to lock up the house securely after seeing an unwelcome visitor from the North Pole, not realizing that she can't call the police for help, since dear dead hubby is on the floor. The ending with Santa Claus bringing less than cheer to the house, is a real showstopper!

Name your favorite on film, lunatic at large. They may also be a convict at large, like Big Maude [Reta Shaw] from "The Andy Griffith Show" and your lunatic could be comical, or as frightening as that Santa knocking on Joan's living room window, but just make sure they are certifiable.

8 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Director Charles Laughton believed that in his casting of the psychopathic "preacher" in Night of the Hunter that evil would be more effective if it was physically attractive.

IMG_3012.JPG

Mitchum was truly seductively diabolical in that part, with a fine streak of lunacy!

• Like 2

Michael Myers from the HALLOWEEN series was one unstoppable lunatic, that's for sure.

Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins)in PSYCHO looked like the boy next door, but as Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) found out the hard way, that really wasn't the case.

Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) in AMERICAN PSYCHO certainly lived up to the title, that's for dang sure!

25 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Exactly what does a lunatic LOOK like? :lol:

"Batman Begins" (2005)  Here's one among others and many were released from the insane asylum.

MV5BMDQ4NWFkNGMtZDk0ZS00NWJkLTg4YmYtNDNi

That's a toughie! A lunatic may hath power to assume a pleasing form.

37 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Michael Myers from the HALLOWEEN series was one unstoppable lunatic, that's for sure.

Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins)in PSYCHO looked like the boy next door, but as Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) found out the hard way, that really wasn't the case.

Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale) in AMERICAN PSYCHO certainly lived up to the title, that's for dang sure!

An unholy triumvirate. Thanks, Beth!

9 minutes ago, drednm said:

Oh, I thought this thread was about TRUMP!

But it was plural lunatics in my header, Drednm!

Are you saying Trump is a multiple personality?

I'm afraid to see what you might be starting here. I think the movies will start coming after Bob Woodward's new book on Trump is published. But who will play Trump in a movie? Now there's a new question for the General Discussion area.

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

How do you feel about answering posts by lunatics like me, Laffite...haha?

Gotcha!

I don't feel got. Maybe it's because you are no lunatic. Or if you are, you are a lovable one. A lovable lunatic. But of course you are not. A lunatic, that is.

I didn't get far enough into NOTH to see Mitchum as a lunatic. What I saw in the early going was just a greedy, ruthless man; but not crazy. Maybe he flipped out later, then? But Beware, My Lovely does have a lunatic. It's just a matter of taste but I do not like movies with this kind of lunatic. They are like horror films, which I don't enjoy. BML is not Noir, it is Horror.

7 minutes ago, laffite said:

I don't feel got. Maybe it's because you are no lunatic. Or if you are, you are a lovable one. A lovable lunatic. But of course you are not. A lunatic, that is.

I didn't get far enough into NOTH to see Mitchum as a lunatic. What I saw in the early going was just a greedy, ruthless man; but not crazy. Maybe he flipped out later, then? But Beware, My Lovely does have a lunatic. It's just a matter of taste but I do not like movies with this kind of lunatic. They are like horror films, which I don't enjoy. BML is not Noir, it is Horror.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my psyche, Laffite!

I've seen BML, actually on TCM during that Robert Ryan festival from a while back, and it is quite a movie and poor old Bob definitely fits the sociopathic file, as you say. I can see what you mean about Mitchum being a crafty devil but aware of what he is doing. Sometimes we call others lunatics, but to themselves they think we perhaps are the loonies! A bit like Norman Bates and his philosophy of life as regards whether his mothe was off her rocker or not, according to society's standards.

I remember watching the lovely Ida gliding gingerly around that Victorian styled home, trying to walk on eggshells so as not to upset Ryan, and the film was very suspenseful. Ryan was definitely great at portraying a sort of sleeping mania, which could be lit up at a moment's notice. Great movie and thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

vlcsnap-3579858.png

Bruno Anthony. The only loony (or non-loony) with a lobster patterned tie. 

Walker was bone-chillingly spooky in that role!

Love the tie, and his shoes were great too, probably why Hitch focused on them in a sort of Luis Bunuel way. Thanks, Vautrin!

• Like 1

I'll go small-screen, comical on this one.  Remember the "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy misplaces the train tickets to Florida and they share a ride with a woman (played by Elsa Lanchester)  they suspect is an "on the run" hatchet murderess after hearing a bulletin on the car radio?  They're afraid of her and she's afraid of them, for the same reason!  One of my favorites of the series.

elsa.png

• Haha 1

Both Mitchum and Walker would make totally groovy avatars.

On the lighter side, if there is one:

"Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I." - WHAT ABOUT BOB

When you're insane, no need to explain & No brains, no headaches.

In the office of former news director at 1150 KPLS, Santa Rosa.

We also had a copy of the song Dead Skunk on 45 taped to the wall. The quote beneath, "In case of emergency, break glass."

7 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Walker was bone-chillingly spooky in that role!

Love the tie, and his shoes were great too, probably why Hitch focused on them in a sort of Luis Bunuel way. Thanks, Vautrin!

One of his best. A number of characters in Bunuel's films did have a shoe or foot fetish.

Maybe that was autobiographical. Luis would likely have substituted a crucifix for the

lobster and those fancy red cardinal's slippers for Bruno's fancy wingtips.

• Like 1

Speaking of Santa Rosa, here comes Uncle Charley. Pretty smooth and seemingly

normal for a lunatic. If he hadn't wasted his time trying to kill his niece for no

good reason, he could have gone merrily on his way and knocked off more rich

widows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For most of the B-movie The Power of the Whistler (1945), Jean Lang (actress Janis Carter) doesn't realize that the seemingly amiable amnesia victim (actor Richard Dix) she's recently met and then attempts to help him recall his past via a shared car trip to where he tells her that he might find the answers to his identity, isn't as "amiable" as he first appears.

(...this two-reeler in "The Whister" series of 1940s films that starred Dix was shown on TCM a few years back, and I have to admit I found it held my attention very well...and Janis Carter wasn't too hard on the eyes, either)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings