Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bulldogcafe1

Rita Hayworth

Today's SUTS honoree may be Glenn Ford, but it is Rita who will get to shine during prime time when TCM airs *Gilda* (1946), by far the most popular of the movies Ford and Hayworth made together.

Poster%20-%20Gilda_02.jpg

Ford and Hayworth were close friends in real life. Later, when Hayworth experienced her well-documented problems, Ford was one of her biggest supporters.

I did catch it last night Holly. The transfer was so good, i wished i was in the South Seas with Rita, rain and all. The palm trees and ocean waves were vivid. I saw this film once before, a long time ago and was bored with it. Upon a second look, i was hooked! Rita was fantastic. I was mesmerized by the entire film because Rita carried the film with her superior star quality. Her Sadie Thompson was very sympathetic. As i watched this film i remarked that Rita is one of the most underrated actresses of the classic era. I'm enjoying a lot of Rita's films on the second viewing such as Down To Earth when TCM ran it a few weeks ago. Raquel Welch reminds me of Rita. I wish i could have met Rita for five minutes so i could tell her what a superb talent she is.

Yes, I think a lot of her best movies definitely grow on you with repeat viewings. Miss Sadie Thompson is probably pretty underrated because in all the time since DVDs started coming out, it has never been released, at least not in the U.S., and many people haven't had a chance to watch it as a result. Hopefully that might change now that Sony is planning on releasing one (or maybe two) Rita Hayworth box sets.

Down to Earth is one that I didn't like all that much the first time I watched it, but I do want to see it again one of these days, I think I'll probably enjoy it more the 2nd time around.

Oh boy Holly, that sure is good news that Sony will be releasing the Rita box set(s). I hope they sell well to honor Rita's memory. I agree with you on Down To Earth. I saw it years ago and thought it to be lightweight fluff and boring. However, i watched the last part of it earlier this month on TCM and got sucked in just like Miss Sadie Thompson. Also, Rita was really good in They Came To Cordura.

Other Rita films i enjoyed waaaay more on a second viewing: The Loves Of Carmen, Salome, Blood And Sand, and You Were Never Lovelier. Lately, i really enjoy rewatching most of RH's films and drinking in her awesome beauty and charm. I would have loved to dance with her at Ciro's or the Mocambo back in the day, but i wasn't "down to earth" yet.

I think i'll have my brother get me one or two of RH's films for our Christmas gift trade this year.

the hayworth box set has been pushed back to a february 2010 release because they are still working on the extras. all 5 films (GILDA-TONIGHT & EVERY NIGHT-COVER GIRL-SALOME-MISS SADIE THOMPSON>widescreen!!!) will be remastered though.

i missed 'sadie thompson' on tcm, so i don't know what the aspect ratio was. i have only seen it on tv & my old vhs tape with an aspect ratio of 1:33:1. so it will be like a new film to me when this set is released.

this set is a must-have for me... i might even get two and save one as a collectable.

rita on film is sooo photogenic, so DAZZLING in technicolor. what a magical presence she was!

> {quote:title=marcco44 wrote:}{quote}

> i missed 'sadie thompson' on tcm, so i don't know what the aspect ratio was. i have only seen it on tv & my old vhs tape with an aspect ratio of 1:33:1. so it will be like a new film to me when this set is released.

>

I once got to watch Miss Sadie Thompson in a theater, and I'm pretty sure it's 1.33:1. It's a 1953 movie, but it wasn't shot in widescreen.

I'm definitely glad that the boxset will be coming out soon, even though it's been delayed a bit.

Now, if only there was some way we could get Fox to release My Gal Sal. Oh, well, at least I've a recording of it from the FMC.

Well, personally, I am still pretty sure that the movie was shot and shown in the 1.33:1 ratio, as the TCM database also lists it as having that aspect ratio:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=324&category=Theatrical%20Aspect%20Ratio

And this, again, comes from having actually watched the movie shown in 3-D in a pretty good theater with a Union projectionist.

Generally, I tend to have little faith in modern-day studio executives' knowledge of the films in their own libraries - if they knew their product a little better, they'd probably have made better use of these film libraries over the years. The Rita Hayworth boxset is at least 5-6 years overdue. People would actually have been buying this for a long time now, if it had been released a few years ago.

Having said that, I don't doubt that the movie could have been shown in 1.85:1, in some theaters, simply by masking off the top and bottom of the screen. There are other movies from around 1953 that were filmed in Academy ratio, but projected in a slightly matted format.

yes, when i first read about the aspect ratio of 'sadie' on this upcoming dvd set i thought it a mistake, so i also checked the tcm database. but then, when i looked it up on the imdb page, i got this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046076/technical

confusing.

i know from my hayworth bios that sadie was released in both 3D and flat versions. so there were different prints used for various theaters. but no details are given on their aspect ratios.

like you, all i've ever seen of 'sadie' is the 1:33:1 version and i assumed that was the only ratio. but perhaps that was the flat 35mm version i've been watching .... look at the different aspect ratio imdb assigns to the 3D prints.

whatever the reason, according to the sony reps, the 'miss sadie thompson' dvd will be formatted at 1:85:1 for this new set.

IF there is another film print with a different aspect ratio, and THAT is the one being prepared for the hayworth box set, then this indeed is NEWS to me and i would love to see it!

I'd say, if anything, imdb.com is even less reliable than tcmdb - and that one could be wrong, too. But, in any event, I am sure the movie would look good in either aspect ratio, since it wasn't filmed in CinemaScope or any anamorphic widescreen process.

Rita fans, Cover Girl is coming up on TCM at 10:45am Eastern...

256aefq.jpg

*Cover Girl* (1944)

A nightclub dancer makes it big in modeling, leaving her dancer boyfriend behind.

Cast: Rita Hayworth, Gene Kelly, Lee Bowman, Phil Silvers Dir: Charles Vidor C-107 mins, TV-G

Coming up next - two of Rita's best! :D

*Cover Girl* (1944)

A nightclub dancer makes it big in modeling, leaving her dancer boyfriend behind.

Cast: Rita Hayworth, Gene Kelly, Lee Bowman, Phil Silvers Dir: Charles Vidor C-107 mins, TV-G

*Tonight and Every Night* (1945)

An American girl falls for an RAF pilot while performing at a British music hall.

Cast: Rita Hayworth, Lee Bowman, Janet Blair, Marc Platt Dir: Victor Saville C-92 mins, TV-PG