Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

Impact (1949)

This was a pretty good noir.  The plot has enough twists and turns to keep you engaged.  The basic premise is Walter Williams ( Brian Donlevy) is married to Irene ( Helen Walker).  Walter is a millionaire and Irene apparently married him just for the money.  She is has a boyfriend and they plot to kill Walter.  Irene and Walter have a vacation planned at Lake Tahoe and Irene fakes a illness and uses the vacation as a excuse for her husband to give her cousin a ride back home to Denver.  The cousin is really her boyfriend.  The plan is for him to off Walter enroute to Denver and make it look like a accident.   The plan goes wrong and the plot twists start coming.   Its a pretty good noir.  I rate it a 6.5 out of 10...

10dv71k.jpg

21awxnl.png

1zgpz10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I liked that the film cast two actresses that didn't make a lot of films Ella Raines and Helen Walker together.

Both had done some fine noirs;  Raines in Phantom Lady,  The Suspect (more of a Gothic noir),  The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (all directed by Robert Siodmak) and Walker with Nightmare Alley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I liked that the film cast two actresses that didn't make a lot of films Ella Raines and Helen Walker together.

Both had done some fine noirs;  Raines in Phantom Lady,  The Suspect (more of a Gothic noir),  The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (all directed by Robert Siodmak) and Walker with Nightmare Alley.

I recently saw Nightmare Alley and didn't remember that Walker was in it.  You listed some great films by the way.

11 minutes ago, Moorman said:

I recently saw Nightmare Alley and didn't remember that Walker was in it.  You listed some great films by the way.

Walker has a small but showy role in the THE BIG COMBO, where she plays Richard Conte's demented wife. A great actress that should have been a bigger star.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 6.07.19 PM.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a fan of both Helen Walker and Ella Raines. This is the flick where Donlevy works temporarily as an auto-mechanic with Raines as his boss. (he's walking down a road not knowing what to do with his life after he realizes his wife has tried to off him).

• Like 3

p.s. in radio, Brian Donlevy plays "colorful, two-fisted, special agent Steve Mitchell" in NBC's "Dangerous Assignment". He sure had crackling delivery.

His tagline? "I get sent to lots of places I can't even pronounce--but they all spell one thing: TROUBLE"

• Like 1