Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

With St Patricks Day around the corner I'm looking forward to one of my favorites, "The Quiet Man" (1952 with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. I know it's not a realistic portrayal of Irish life, but it's so much fun. Other films about Ireland like, "The Informer" (1935) , "The Plough and the Stars" (1936) , or "Shake Hands With The Devil" (1959) give us a sobering (pardon the pun) view of the Irish and their struggle for freedom and self identity.

Anyway I still like "The Quiet Man". No, there's not a drop of Irish blood in my veins ... only in my heart. Also on my favorites list are some recent light comedies about Ireland. "The Nephew" (1998) and "The Matchmaker" (1997).

Whats are your Irish film favorites?

I don't know anybody who doesn't like this fine John Ford film. Even people who don't like John Wayne like this one. I had the pleasure of seeing it in a theatre in Chicago. I liked it before that. But this was quite an experience. Other Irish films? As you say, THE INFORMER is the perfect example. There's also YOUNG CASSIDY, the story of a playwright. And the recent films based on the fiction of Roddy Doyle. But for my money, THE QUIET MAN is the one to turn to.

I saw The Quiet Man for the first time ever on St Patrick's Day in a small neighborhood theater. I loved it-and it stands as my favorite John Wayne film.

Several years later I was on a remote job site and got together with 2 other crew (documentary filmmakers) to watch TV and eat dinner in the hotel. The Quiet Man was showing, neither of them had seen it before, so I said, "Let's watch this, it's a great movie!"

I listened to these two pick apart the film scene by scene, by the end laughing at what a horrible director the guy was. I said, "Mmmm lots of people like John Ford", but they wouldn't hear of it, they said he was a "hack" and ruined an otherwise good story.

The only criticisms I can recall (believe me-there were MANY) has something to do with too many medium shots without close ups and too many "big" scenes without the tempering of smaller scenes. Something to that effect. Just boring storytelling. Their criticisms made me feel stupid.

TikiSoo - what a sad story! I feel so bad just reading it.

Those two guys have been proven wrong over and over again, BTW. Ford is considered by many to be the best director in Hollywood history. And I am willing to bet the two you sat down with have never been heard from since. :)

There is nothing worse than playing a movie for someone, and having them laugh at it. I've been in the same situation....with theatre students. Being filmmakers themselves, your two "buddies" would have picked apart any movie that was showing that night. I am sure they thought they were being so cool.....but those folks who are so busy being smart are likely to miss out on a lot of fun times, and a lot of directorial expertise -

So who are you gonna pay attention to? Two film students, or the guy who made 150 movies, won 4 Oscars (one for The Quiet Man) as best director, and won 2 more for documentary filmmaking? His record in best directing Oscars still stands.

Pappy would have kicked their butts...... :)

JF: "Is that so? You may have something there. Tell me, how would you have shot those scenes? Really? Now tell me again...what would you do? That's very interesting"

Then he'd have stood up in front of the ENTIRE auditorium/venue whatever, and in a loud voice declared: "Ladies and gentlemen, these two expert film directors, fresh out of school are more worthy of my four Oscars than I am. I will gladly give them over and retire from a profession where after 50 years I never knew even half of what these two brilliant craftsmen have just revealed to me."

:)

They should pay you extra for working with idiots.

I love those neighborhood theatres. If they're a little rundown, it just adds to the atmosphere. Like sharing a secret. I've spent many a pleasant evening that way. I no longer live in a major city. There are no second run houses here. But we sure don't have to worry about parking!

Whoa, I never said those guys were students.....they were both in their 40's, very successful documentary film makers, both with several awards for their films in CANADA. They were filming the project I was on.

What I find disturbingly common is filmmakers of today have learned from teachers in school and mostly view new movies at the theater, their "historical" knowledge of film is sorely lacking. They think Star Wars is a historical classic. I recently had to talk a 40ish filmmaker into tuning into TCM to see Sunset Blvd, as he had never even heard of it! At least he loved it.

I just added my story because of the previous post that said, "Who wouldn't like the Quiet Man or John Ford?" I've actually met two.

I watched it again last night & still love it. I love how it captures the essence of the Irish and actually all old world communities. Island peoples are always a little different, and the things the Irish hold dear are really unique; horses, black beer, fighting spirit & tradition.

When living in Massachusetts I used to ride my white pony to the local Irish pub back door and all the help would spill out just to enjoy feeding her carrots and me a sip of Guinness. Someday I hope to do an Irish Pub Crawl on horseback for a vacation.

>Whoa, I never said those guys were students.....they were both in their 40's, very successful >documentary film makers, both with several awards for their films in CANADA. They were filming >the project I was on.

That they were grown men is even sadder....

>When living in Massachusetts I used to ride my white pony to the local Irish pub back door and all >the help would spill out just to enjoy feeding her carrots and me a sip of Guinness. Someday I hope >to do an Irish Pub Crawl on horseback for a vacation.

Oh, that sounds so wonderful.... I sincerely hope you get to do it... and that you take me with you. :)

Somtimes I think current filmmakers use different setups just for the sake of using different setups. Have a cut every two to three seconds. Heaven help them if they should go too long with a shot.

Ford I think was content to let the actors do their thing. I am always reminded of the scene early on in "Two Rode Together" when Stewart and Widmark sit by the river and talk. No camera changes for three to four minutes. It was wonderful just watching the two of them work.

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks it is really clear to me that Everybody here is much smarter than I am in things like cinamatography, and film history, and words like "noir"...I work on the much simplified basis of "like it" or "hate it". I'm one of those minion of folks who watch movies for pure entertainment...And Quietman is a hit on this level. It just makes me laugh. As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna leave this board, and go watch the movie....Thanks for the Idea Mr. Baily

and tell Zuzu hi for me.

Q.R.