Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Natasha Richardson, Vanessa Redgrave's daughter, dies at 45

My thoughts and prayers go to the family of Natasha Richardson, daughter of Vanessa Redgrave and Liam Neeson's wife, who according to unconfirmed reports may be brain dead after a skiing accident.

_Report: Natasha Richardson to be 'detached' from life support_

While there has still been no official statement from Natasha Richardson's family about her health, People is now reporting that the actress is brain dead.

"There is no chance," a family friend told People Tuesday night. "It is a fact that her heart is beating, but she is brain dead."

Her dire condition is as bad as many feared when no encouraging reports were forthcoming Tuesday.

People reports those close to Richardson describe her condition as "leakage of blood between the brain and skull."

And the actress' family faces a heartbreaking decision. "It's not official yet," says the friend, "but they basically will detach her."

For the last 23 hours, there have been conflicting reports on Richardson's health and the extent of her injuries.

The New York Times reports that the family, who has been gathering at the hospital, has been ?highly stressed,? citing sources "close to the family who spoke on the condition of anonymity."

TMZ may have gotten inside intel about her ambulance ride from the airport to Lenox Hill Hospital. Their source says Natasha was "unconscious," her pupils "non-reactive," her skin was "pale" and she was suffering from "major head trauma."

They also report that her husband, Liam Neeson, held her hand the entire time, caressing her face as he sat silent.

When the plane landed in New Jersey, TMZ says that medics on board on the flight informed the ambulance team that Richardson was "brain dead."

If anyone would like to leave comments supporting the family in this terrible time, please feel free to do so here.

All good energy and prayers are welcome.

Liz Smith has just reported that Natasha Richardson has been taken off of life support.

A truly sad day and a tragic ending to such a benign accident.

Sad, and even sadder is the fact that celebs are not allowed to have one stinkin' moment of privacy, even under such adverse conditions as this. Why would someone want to talk about Mr. Nesson sitting holding his dying wife's hand and caressing her face? Walter Winchell and Hedda Hopper for all their power had some integrity and sympathy for the stars they wrote about. Today the fans and paparazzi have little respect, and it comes down to the almighty dollar and ratings, as I'm sure that little ditty was sold about the family's most private moment.

They tried to take it one step further with Travolta and I'm glad that came back to bite them on the, well, you know.

*_BEST Natasha Richardson FILMS_:*

*_Waking Up in Reno_ (2002)* - OMG! This is my "ALL-TIME" "favorite" Natasha Richardson film!!!

This film makes me laugh so hard.

I got to meet Ms. Natasha Richardson at the 2001 Denver Film Festival when she there with director Jordan Brady; & her Co-stars: Patrick Swayze, Billy Bob Thornton & Charlize Theron to do a Q/A with the audience about the film! Fun night.

Simply: The film is about a romantic comedy about two trashy couples traveling to Reno to see a monster truck show....Has to be seen to be believed.....

I love the cat fight between Charlize Theron & Natasha Richardson .....LOL!!!

*_Gothic_ (1986)* - I loved her as Mary Shelley!

*_The Handmaid's Tale_ (1990)* - Interesting film ...interesting cast...Not only Natasha Richardson ...but Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall, Aidan Quinn & Elizabeth McGovern.

*_The Parent Trap_ (1998)* - Cute re-make. Dennis Quaid & Natasha Richardson are cute together....Oh yeah and Lindsay Lohan before the "melt down"!

*_Past Midnight_ (1992)* - Another film to see for the _cast alone_ ....Rutger Hauer ...Natasha Richardson ....Paul Giamatti!

*_Evening_ (2007)* - I really liked this film despite the critics. It was worth seeing in theater. I lost my mom a year before..the film really touched me.

The film alternates between two time periods, the 1950s and the present, in which a dying Ann Grant Lord reflects on her past.

*_Widows' Peak_ (1994)* - Another great fun film with a great cast ....Mia Farrow

Joan Plowright, Natasha Richardson, Adrian Dunbar & Jim Broadbent (My Favorite!).

*_Fat Man and Little Boy_ (1989)* - This film reenacts the Manhattan Project....Natasha Richardson with another great story and cast which includes,,, John Cusack.. Bonnie Bedelia & the Late-Great Paul Newman!!!

*.............................-----------------------------------...........................---------------*

*'Spectacular' Natasha Richardson won the Tony Award for 'Cabaret'*

Gold Derby by Tom O'Neil

Los Angeles Times

*As medical personnel struggle to save Natasha Richardson's life after she suffered head trauma during a skiing accident, it's important to recall what a vital life she's had as a performer.*

As medical personnel struggle to save Natasha Richardson's life after she suffered head trauma during a skiing accident, it's important to recall what a vital life she's had as a performer.

In 1998, Natasha Richardson won a Tony Award for lead actress in a musical for her appearance in the Roundabout Theatre Company's acclaimed production of "Cabaret." The show was helmed by Sam Mendes and co-directed and choreographed by Rob Marshall. This reimagined revival of "Cabaret" was staged in a cabaret setting at the Henry Miller Theatre. Among the praise for her performance, the New York Times called Richardson "spectacular."

For her raw portrayal of an English singer caught up in the madness of Nazi Germany, Richardson first won the Drama Desk award. And then at the Tonys, she prevailed over a quartet of musical theater vets ? Betty Buckley ("Triumph of Love"), Marin Mazzie ("Ragtime") and co-nominees Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner ("Side Show").

Five years earlier, Natasha Richardson had earned a Tony nod for her Broadway debut in the third rialto revival of Eugene O'Neill's "Anna Christie." In the race for lead actress in a play, she competed against her aunt Lynn Redgrave, who paid tribute to Natasha's grandfather, Sir Michael Redgrave, in "Shakespeare for My Father." They and Jane Alexander ("The Sisters Rosensweig") lost to Alexander's co-star Madeline Kahn.

Richardson's soon-to-be husband Liam Neeson made his Broadway debut opposite her. He too was nominated for a Tony Award, losing to Ron Liebman for "Angels in America: Millennium Approaches." However, the play did win the Tony for best revival.

When Natasha Richardson emerged as a notable stage star in 1986 at age 23 with an appearance opposite her mother, Vanessa Redgrave, in Chekov 's "The Seagull," she won the London Drama Critics' Circle award as most promising newcomer.

Richardson also received kudos for her film work. She twice won the Evening Standard prize for best actress. Her first victory came in 1990 for roles in "The Comfort of Strangers" and "The Handmaid's Tale." And she prevailed again in 2005 for "Asylum," which she also produced. In an interview with the awards' sponsoring newspaper, Richardson described the project about the wife of a psychiatrist who falls in love with a mental patient committed to an institution for killing his wife as " a small, dark, sexy film" adding, "I felt a connection with it like you feel when you fall in love."

natasha_richardson.jpg

> {quote:title=georgiegirl wrote:}{quote}

> Sad, and even sadder is the fact that celebs are not allowed to have one stinkin' moment of privacy, even under such adverse conditions as this. Why would someone want to talk about Mr. Nesson sitting holding his dying wife's hand and caressing her face? Walter Winchell and Hedda Hopper for all their power had some integrity and sympathy for the stars they wrote about. Today the fans and paparazzi have little respect, and it comes down to the almighty dollar and ratings, as I'm sure that little ditty was sold about the family's most private moment.

>

> They tried to take it one step further with Travolta and I'm glad that came back to bite them on the, well, you know.

Exactly!!! Saw a photo of one of her sons leaving the hospital. That's not news.

It's one thing to want to 'snap' the stars, but their kids should have the right to privacy, especially at times like this. The Neeson kids are only 12 and 13. Isn't it hard enough losing a parent in private, never mind having to do it in front of the whole world?

When 'stars' go wild and punch out the paps, sometimes I don't blame them one little bit. I don't know why there aren't stricter right to privacy laws when it comes to our citizens.

Yes, they are public figures, and, yes, all the amendments should be carried out full force, and, yes, when necessary the 'star's use the paps, but there has got to be limitations on somethings, no?

Poor kids. Poor family going through such torment. It's times like these our icons suddenly become very much like us, humans. Don't they? :-(

I just read it on the news, Chip. A very sad day for her loved ones. My heart goes out to Vanessa Redgrave, Liam Neeson and the rest of her family.

Natasha Richardson

3227415_tml.jpg

(1963-2009)

Message was edited by: Xochitl

The New York Channel 4 News just did a nice segment about Natasha. They said she was on the "beginners slope" when the accident happened. Its not yet completely clear what actually happened and is still under investigation. To see more NBC4 has a "Natasha Remembered". Goto NBCNEWYORK.COM

I just seen her recently when I watched the remake of "The Parent Trap". RIP Natasha. My best wishes to her husband Liam Neeson and other members of the family.

I met Natasha Richardson at the Denver film festivale 2xs....Very nice lady very funny....Out of all the celebrities I have lost in my lifetime ...this affects me the most.

Do not grieve at the passing of mortality,for life's but a thing of terrible gravity. And the planets gravitate around you,and the stars shall dance about you, and the angels in heaven adore you,and the saints all stand and applaud you. So faraway,so faraway and yet so close.

Nick Cave, "Far Away, So Close"

Wow, yet another just after the untimely demise of: Ron Silver. They always say they go in three's? I believe someone may have touched on this, just in case. Liam ("Schindler") Neeson & her appeared together in 1994's "Nell" Of course starring: *Jodie Foster & one of her 4 OSCAR noms. to date. & Sir Michael Redgrave-(l908-84) was her grandfather as well

As usual an excellent report by all

This is very very sad indeed, since her fall seemed such a minor thing at first. I'm still shocked beyond belief.

I also read that Broadway theaters will dim their lights for one minute tonight in her honor.

Broadway did indeed dim the lights for Natasha, and she well deserved it. Obviously, she snagged a Tony for *Cabaret* , but she also appeared in several other shows on Broadway in which she was equally terrific. And she was great in movies as well --- she turned in a beautifully understated performance in the surprisingly decent remake of *The Parent Trap* , for instance .

I never met her, and I was only ever in the room with her when she was onstage and I was in the audience. I have friends who did really know her, who spent time with her and her family, and they tell me what a what a lovely person she was, and how strong her family bond was.

Such a tragic accident.

And we DON'T need to see paparazzi photos of her family dealing with this. It doesn't matter if they are "famous," it is disgusting that there are photos of her sister, her husband, her children, and for God's sake her MOTHER going in and out of the hospital to say goodbye being printed in newspapers, magazines, and online. DISGUSTING.

Please don't look at those ugly, ugly pap pictures. Netflix yourself *The Parent Trap, Nell*, or even *Maid in Manhattan* (did I just say that?). Celebrate Natasha's life and her talent, and ignore the revolting tabloid coverage.

RIP.

You are right about this. If that was my sister or mom, I wouldn't want something like that spread across the globe. But if history is any indicator like the photos of Princess Diana, its only wishfull thinking. You know plain as I do that tabloids like the National Enquirer is going to offer millions to someone with the very last death photos.

The word paparazzi has become the newest catch phrase for slimeball.

this is all very, very sad :(

i hope she will be remembered for her amazing body of work

chip, you put it so well, i couldnt agree with you more completely. by the way, the movie morlocks have a nice tribute to miss richardson, it is very clasy with photos and videos from her movies, no paparazzi photos or anything:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2009/03/19/loving-natasha-richardson-1963-2009/#more-8268

What a terrible, terrible tragedy. I can't remember which movie I saw her in first, Parent Trap or Widow's Peak. All I do remember is that I loved her at first sight. RIP Beautiful Lady.

Like others this has affected me deeply. I think back on the death of Natalie Wood and how I couldn't believe she was gone. Same with Natasha, so full of life.

I was just reading about Richardson having been an organ donor. God bless her heart!

This is a story from People magazine:

Natasha Richardson's Organs Donated After Her Death

By Michelle Tauber

Originally posted Wednesday March 25, 2009 01:00 PM EDT

As the loved ones of Natasha Richardson continue to mourn, a family decision made in the wake of the Tony-winning actress's sudden death March 18 has brought a measure of comfort: After Richardson was taken off life support at Manhattan's Lenox Hill Hospital, her family requested that her organs be donated to other patients whose lives they might save.

Organ donation "is very Natasha," a family friend says in the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday. "She spent so much time fighting the stigma of AIDS; someone like that would naturally donate her organs. At least by donating her organs something good could come out of [the tragedy]."

Richardson, 45, died after falling during a ski lesson at a Canadian resort on March 16. An autopsy performed in New York City showed that a blow to her head had caused a fatal epidural hematoma, bleeding between her brain and her skull.

*'Liam Doing Okay'*

In the days since Richardson's death, her husband of 14 years, actor Liam Neeson, 56, and the couple's sons Micheal, 13, and Daniel, 12, have shown remarkable public poise in dealing with the tragedy. "Liam is doing okay," says family friend Blaine Trump. "It takes a while to absorb this. But he says the family needs to move forward. They will take it one step at a time."

The Irish actor was expected to return to work on the Toronto set of his upcoming drama Chloe, and the boys were headed back to school. "With good friends by their side," says Trump, "they will get through the tough days ahead."

To read more about Richardson, including touching details of her wake and funeral, pick up the new PEOPLE, on sale Friday

Cell...classy words.

The fact that her organs are now completing a necessary cycle in others lives and eleviating their pain and suffering, just speaks volumes of the kindness and sympathy for the suffering that Ms. Richardson left us to strive for.

And no...I will not watch or read the suffering of the family she left in this world.