Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Oh Why??

leobertucelli

Turned on TCM & lo and behold they're showing for 6 or more hours silent garbage! I'm sure Osborn ddidn't program

these thourarally unwatchable 'things' that ought to be burned. Now go on people tell what's so marvelous about these things --yeah, knock yourselves out

What in the world, who is this guy. Man I dont know who you are, but you're probably in for some serious cussing out from more angry people than I. Its okay if you dont like a film but have them burned? You sir, go against everything I stand for and I demand satisfaction. If I had a glove I would give it to someone else to slap you. THE KID is a Charlie Chaplin classic to.

leo my friend I see that your at it again lambasting the silents. As I mentioned to you before TCM airs 330 talkies a month and since your a screenwriter we welcome you to comment on these films which could be interesting.

Why Oh Why won't you share your knowledge with us leo?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mongo

Leo you remind me of my three year old looking for constant attention and it looks like you're getting it.

I've seen a few of your ignorant posts and I pity the fool

who doesn't understand that silent film is the basis of all film. You don't have to like it,tolerate it ,or even watch it,but give us all a break and maintain some sort of civility.

P.S. to all If you ignore him he may go away

WAH WAH They're showing silent films---I hate silent films--why does TCM insist on toturing me this way----why oh why--the inhumanity---omg I'm going to die---oh no there's no other channels to watch---what will I do--I'm a screenwriter and I don't understand TCM--I'm a screenwriter who doesn't know how to use spell check or correct grammar. WAH WAH

My best Leo impersonation---no more flaming I promise

I have previously been amused and even slightly offended by Leo's inexplicable hatred of Silent films on these boards. But what are you gonna do? It's his loss. To each his own, I guess. I could try to explain my personal fascination with many of those "Ancient" films he so despises. But Leo has made his opinion known and I'll respect it. Well, maybe 'respect' is not the word I'm looking for...........

I wasn't gonna respond to leo i've been biting my lower

lip so as not to give him the attention he seems to be craving and it seems he feels this is the only way to get attention from all of us on these boards.......

SO BE IT! Let me tell you what my weekend was about

i was rushed to the emergency room i have a kidney stone

surprisingly enough and i am trying to pass it!

Its like trying to pass a watermelon thur a small opening

believe its pain! Thank god for painkillers ....

No sympathy please just stating fact its not fiction i wish it was! To come on these boards is a wonderful thing for me and others who enjoy film and to listen to your whining over and over again is no fun for me right

now i need all the fun and distractions i can get so

please if its not constructive conversation about silent film drop it! You say you are a screen writer well

show us by writing something you think is better than what we have to look at...

Its the pain killers i'm not usually this out spoken

but ilove "The Phantom of the Opera" "The kid"

"Min & bill "Tillies Romance" and if you think you can write something better than those mentioned more

power to ya between you & the kidney stone I"d rather

have my silent films to watch and my kidney stone

then listen to you!.....

I bet Robert Osbourn did program this. If some young intern had his way he'd probably show new stuff. Leo would be watching STORM OF THE ORPHANS tonight and yeah, I'd like to here his screenwriting experience too.

Hi Lolite! Sorry ta hear 'bout the stone. My brother had one last year...at 18!

Anyway, I love silents as most people here do. Even if you don't, TCM shows very few of them, so there's just no reason for you to whine.

Orphans of the Storm is among my favorites. I missed it today 'cause I had something else I had to do, though. :-(

The print TCM aired of ORPHANS OF THE STORM was restored on film stock clear back in 1969! There must be other more recent prints that are more complete and transferred at the correct frame-rate? This older Killiam Show's version looked ungodly speeded up at times, and good as he is on the keys, Bill Perry's lone piano just doesn't do justice to such an epic production.

Silent films presented at the correct speed and with an engaging score can be enjoyed by anyone! So don't judge all silent's off one lackluster presentation Mr."Why Oh Why" man! I would have hoped for a Thames/photoplay print with a Carl Davis orchestral score for a prime-time broadcast though!

Well, as a newbie here, I'm not sure what the issues are re silent films, and I of course value them for their historical significance, but couldn't it be said that not all silents are good, just as all talkies are not good? No, I wouldn't advocate burning any film any more than I would advocate burning any book, but I know that I no longer have the patience to sit through 'Intolerance', as I once did. I still delight in Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd silent films, but I hate Charlie Chaplin to pieces.

Again, just my two cents, and Leo, don't know your backstory or your history on these forums...which are still unbelievably difficult for me to log into and navigate...but since I have a big mouth, I just wanted to share a possibly unpopular opinion.

And yes, AMC is the current hell for movie lovers, a place where Rainbow media should rot in for bastardizing the station. Anyone remember 'Remember WENN'? What Rainbow did is on a par with Teddy boy colorizing b/w films. Notice where Teddy's colorized films went? Exactly.

They only answer for Bertucelli's "Why oh Why??" is: "THE GOLD RUSH", "THE KID", "SUNRISE", "EVANGELINE", "ROBIN HOOD", "LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH", "BROKEN BLOSSOMS", "ORPHANS OF THE STORM", "NOSFERATU", "METROPOLIS", "CABINET OF DR. GALIGARI", "CITY STREETS", "THE CROWD", "ETERNAL LOVE", "THE WEDDING MARCH", "THE MERRY WIDOW", "THE WIND", "LA BOHEME", "PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC".....ETC...ETC....ALL SUPREME TRIUMPHS OF ART!!!

And I hope that more silents are shown here, each and every monthy, and more early '30s Pre-Codes, etc.

I think more people would appreciate silent films (including myself) if we could see them on a big theatre screen. The few I have seen in the theatres have amazed me. Its not the same watching them on a small screen TV. Maybe its the intertitles, you have to pay close attention, whereas in a talking movie you can slip out of the room for a minute or too, but still hear the soundtrack.

These are just general opinions on my part.I usually stay out of posts such as these,but here are some of my thoughts on this subject.It would be great if I could see the silents on the big screen. But since that is not possible,I'm thankful that TCM is showing them.I'm sure that TCM tested the market before deciding to show the silents on a regular basis. Another aspect is the skill it took to make a silent and make a profit. Films ,as a rule were beautifully photographed.As they progressed,the acting styles were less florid and more realistic.Since there was no dialogue,an actor had to make an audience believe in his/her performance. Lon Chaney,among others , was an expert at this.As a closing comment, there are many films out there today that I would not pay to see,nor do I watch them on tv .But I wholly respect the rights of the fans who enjoy these films.I never saw a silent in a theater.I saw my first film around 1940 in a theater annd saw my first silent on PBS some years ago and have been a fan from then on.

Thanks to leo we have a nice thread going here which I find very interesting regarding silent films. I'm certainly learning something here and I appreciate the info.

And leo, don't forget,if you ever get the urge to discuss any of the 330 talkies that TCM airs monthly we would be happy to join in. Perhaps it could get as interesting as this topic has become about silent films.

Mongo

Thanks Antar, Eddie , & others for your concern for me

i've not yet passed the kidney stone but i'mfeeling more

comfortable with antibiotics & med. for pain.......

BTW this thread is becoming interesting about silent

films Last nites Orphan of the storms is excellent

product of silent and i'm not gonna dwell on how good

the film print was or wasn't but very appreciative we

all saw the print at all.........thanks TCM.

Dearest Lolite...my first concern in this fascinating thread must be for you! Please pass that "little sucker" and be well soon! Keep us posted!

Now, Leo...since it is obvious to so many of us on these boards that your major purpose for posting with us is to annoy us, then let me be the first to Congratlate you on a job well done.

Leo, I have seen other posts where you had much nicer and incredibly more intelligent things to say to us than your initial post in this thread would indicate as being possible from you. Would you consider getting totally off your distaste for the FEW numbers of Silents that TCM airs for us in a month's time, and talk with us about other topics that we all like to discuss for a change? Most of us here try our best to be accepting of others, and that includes of their interests even if those interests or tastes in films don't match ours. Can you also give this a try with respect to the Silents, and those of us who care a great deal for them? Or, is it only your opinion that matters to you?

You ended your trite post by telling us to "knock ourselves out" trying to convince you of the merits of the Silents. Some of us bit the bait, although no one needs to "justify" the art and worth of the Silents, and certinly not to you! But, I'll tell you one thing, Leo...none of us is going to "ignore" you when you start up with statements like last night's "Orphans of the Storm", followed by "The Kid" as being "garbage" and that they "ought to be burned". That is a sick, unintelligent, extremely biased and closed-minded statement, and you can shut that kind of crap down right now unless you want to continue to get "negative attention" from us on these boards. You have choices, Leo. Handle them with care. ML

Thanks!Classics fan for your loving concern for me to

pass this stubborn little sucker! It means so much to me

everyone on these boards are wonderful and we have great

times .... your post to Leo is right on!.......

WE ALL HERE ON THIS BOARD LOVE SILENT FILMS.

LOVE US OR LEAVE US........LOLITE BLUE.

Archived