Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The King and Four Queens" (1956)

This movie has been shown frequently on TCM, it's scheduled for release on DVD next May 12th. Thanks to filmlover for posting the artwork in the DVD forum!

wv5xfl.jpg

This is probably one of the best movies of Gable's later years, and he and Eleanor Parker had great chemistry, from what I remember.

You're right about the chemistry between Parker and Gable, even though he was much older than she. But truth be told, anything that Eleanor Parker does is fine with me. She is so underrated! One of her few chances to show her comedy skills was in "Many Rivers to Cross" with Robert Taylor. I really miss her.

Terrence.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so with you about Eleanor. She is gorgeous and has a great speaking voice! I really liked her in Naked Jungle, Interrupted Melody, Woman In White, and Of Human Bondage -1946. EP is still alive... I hope she is in good health. Would love to see her again before she moves on to cinema heaven. I believe she lives in Palm Springs, California.

> {quote:title=randyishere wrote:}{quote}

> I am so with you about Eleanor. She is gorgeous and has a great speaking voice! I really liked her in Naked Jungle, Interrupted Melody, Woman In White, and Of Human Bondage -1946. EP is still alive... I hope she is in good health. Would love to see her again before she moves on to cinema heaven. I believe she lives in Palm Springs, California.

I'm with you too in regards to the beautiful Eleanor. It's too bad she's never done a Private Screenings for TCM.

This does my heart good to learn there are so many fans of the beautiful Eleanor Parker. If I'm not mistaken, I believe she died a few years ago. It's always sad when a beloved star like this leaves us.

]

Terrence.

Hi Terrence. I have good news for you. Eleanor Parker is very much still alive and will be 87 years young on June 26th. Wasn't she one of the most beautiful women of 40's, 50's, and 60's classic film?? EP is a vision in technicolor.

Some added trivia: other actresses still living from Eleanor's birth year of 1922 include Inez Cooper, Kathryn Grayson, Leslie Brooks, Coleen Gray, and Lizabeth Scott.

Hi, Randy. Thanks so much for the information on Ms. Parker. I honestly thought that I had read about her death. I've always loved her in the movies and even though she is no longer active in Hollywood, it's still good to know that she's still around. An interesting thing about the other actresses born in the same year---three of those you mentioned are also favorites of mine---

Coleen Gray, Kathryn Grayson (my favorite movie singer) and Lizabeth Scott. They all have given me so many wonderful times at the movies. Thanks again, Randy. You are a fountain of knowledge!

Terrence.

Thank you for the compliment. Still alive and born in 1922, i forgot the fun lady Janis Paige. I thought Kathryn Grayson came across really well in Showboat especially in the scene where she told Howard Keel to take a hike. I'm still waiting to see So This Is Love where Kathryn plays Grace Moore. I like Coleen Gray in westerns. And i'm nutso for Liz Scott in anything. I love to look at her. I don't care if the movie isn't even that good. I thought Lizabeth was great in Too Late For Tears, Stolen Face, Desert Fury, Dead Reckoning, and SLO Martha Ivers. I am really upset with the creepos at Confidential Magazine for ruining Liz's career. She is soooo great in film noir, my favorite genre.

Hi, Randy. You gave me some wonderful things to think about with these great ladies. I also have felt that Kathryn Grayson did her best work in "Show Boat." I haven't seen "So This is Love" in a long time, but I do remember some of the wonderful songs in it. An interesting side-note concerning Ms. Grayson: where I used to work, Ann Miller was a regular customer, and one day (since I knew that she and Kathryn were very good friends) I asked about Ms. Grayson. She did indeed confirm that the two were good friends, and talked on the telephone every day. I'm glad you mentioned "The Stolen Face." I haven't seen that one in years, but I remember really enjoying it. And dear Coleen Gray---How I've loved her in the movies, especially her westerns, and she really made a lot of them. How I miss these wonderful ladies!

Terrence.