Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strike Up the Musicals!!

okey dokey, i got a heads up to do a movie rambles thread sort of thing for musicals.

so, anyone feel free to chat about everything to do with the glorious musicals made from the 20s all the way to now! although there arent so many today as there used to be. this is also a great place to have a cuppa tea and some cakes every once in a while to, so anyone who's ever in the mood for a tea party, care to join me? heehee!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

my REAL passion that started with my obssession with old movies was the beautiful musical. my grandmama showed me every single musical possible ever made back then and thatgs how i developed my love for music and singing.

i think i shall start with Strike Up the Band (1940), with Judy and Mickey! my favorite of all the ones they did together. this movie really demonstrated the young love between judy and mickey. it showed the hardships with judy getting jealous of mickey with another girl, yet we all know how it really ends. heehee! the songs in here are especially beautiful with very catchy lyrics and tunes such as "Our Love Affair", which is my personal favorite in the movie and then of course "Do the La Conga" with judy and mickey at the dance together with their school.

i think one of the best scenes is when "Our Love Affair" is playing and Mickey starts day dreaming about having his own orchestra and the fruit all comes alive on the dining room table and they become all the instruments as he arranges them all in their correct places...its so creative how the whole demonstration sits as a real orchestra and the music that comes of it! wow!

o_$_2._MGM_Strike_Up_the_Band_VHS.jpg

band8.jpg

oh!! i almost forgot!

one of my buddies sent this to me.

"Join us for our tribute to Judy Garland this Sunday 3/22/09 on (Starr Talk with Sonny Starr). It takes place (Live) at 9 pm Western time. (Please adjust time to your location). Starr Talk is the nations top Classic Hollywood radio program.

You want star power? How about Mickey Rooney and Margaret O'Brien? That's right, two of Hollywood's brightest stars will join us in a night you will remember. They will share some wonderful stories. And we will include some great sound clips and of course wonderful music. Plus we have a surprises that will blow you away!!!!. Join us as pay tribute to the legendary Judy Garland. And don't forget to Tell your friends!!!

Again that's this Sunday March 22nd at 9 pm Western time. (Adjust time to your location). You can hear it around the world on the web at: www.radio84.com We are expecting a large audience. Our flag ship station is KKNX on the West coast. Hope you can join us!

For more information about Starr Talk, check out our website: www.sunstarstudios.com or click on our (Starr talk) link: http://www.sunstarstudios.com/starr_talk.html "

i am so listening and taping this! yay!!! how exciting is that? ;)

Hi, Butterscotch!

While musicals have sort of moved to the lower end

of my favorite genres, they were at one point a HUGE

source of entertainment and, as a dancer, inspiration.

Here are my ten favorite musicals of all time:

1. Top Hat

2. Gigi

3. Swing Time

4. Follow the Fleet

5. Pal Joey

6. Golddiggers of 1933

7. Funny Face

8. The Harvey Girls

9. Shall We Dance?

10.It Happened in Brooklyn

Is Young at Heart a musical? I don't think so, or I would have included it.

What are your ten favorites?

i LOOOVE all kinds of musicals, especially the kind that tcm gets to show. everything from fred & ginger musicals to 'singin' in the rain' and all the other gene kelly great ones, and the old-fashioned ones with judy garland and mickey rooney, and all the later ones with garland, kelly, frank sinatra, etc. also the ones from fox like 'the king and i' and 'oklahoma' and 'south pacific' and 'the sound of music'.

all musicals are great, some are more better than other ones but they are all a lot of fun B-)

Hi Little Miss Butterscotchie!

I have always been a sucker for a fun musical... I really love the old Doris Day and Judy Garland films...

If I listed my all time faves... my top two would have to be:

The Wizard of Oz

Meet Me in St. Louis

And probably in that order...

Also on the list.. but not nessarily in order...

On Moonlight Bay

Oklahoma

Carousel

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

Calamity Jane

The Music Man

Singin' In the Rain

South Pacific

Guys and Dolls

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

Fiddler on the Roof

West Side Story

Ok... I am probably going over the suggested "10" I think that Miss G mentioned.... ha...

Did I mention I like musicals??? :-)

PS...Here... I brought along some tea and cakes for your tea party... maybe that will help make up for my "wordiness" Ha.

vase.jpg

*While musicals have sort of moved to the lower end*

*of my favorite genres, they were at one point a HUGE*

*source of entertainment and, as a dancer, inspiration.*

thats okay dahlink! we still love you. heehee!

*Here are my ten favorite musicals of all time:*

*1. Top Hat*

*2. Gigi*

*3. Swing Time*

*4. Follow the Fleet*

*5. Pal Joey*

*6. Golddiggers of 1933*

*7. Funny Face*

*8. The Harvey Girls*

*9. Shall We Dance?*

*10.It Happened in Brooklyn*

i really love your list! i love your wwide variety of fred and ginger movies! and you stuck in a judy movie! and you put It Happened in Brooklyn, i wonder if frankie knows his Gloria grahame was ina nother musical. heehee! Gigi is a great masterpiece of a movie! i love Leslie Caron's character and Louis Jordan goes well with her, and not many people give their pairing the credit it deserved.

*Is Young at Heart a musical? I don't think so, or I would have included it.*

yes it is. my mother found this really rare book for me a while ago and it has EVER single musical ever made from the time silents turned to musicals up until 1981. Young at Heart is in it as one. heehee! that movie would be considered a musical by me even if it wasnt in the book. it really shows frankie sinatra's talents!...his drama king side. heehee!

*What are your ten favorites?*

is this a trick question? heehee! i have to think.....there are so many i love. i really love all musicals, b/c they are all the creative imagination of people to me. they are just so full of wonder and love in the story and songs of a musical and i love that about them.

i'll try my best for you dahlink: in no order...

Funny Girl

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Good News (junie allyson)

Shall We Dance

Presenting Lily Mars

Summer Stock

On the town

The Sound of Music

Two Weeks with Love

Naughty Marietta

Merry Andrew

Jumbo

Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend

Hello, Dolly!

In the Good Old Summertime

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Xanadu

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

Easter Parade....oh goodness every movie with Judy Garland heehee!

Hit the Deck

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

The Glenn Miler Story

The Eddy Dutchin Story

thats it, im finished, i promise. heehee! well i love a lot more, but these are my absolute can't live without musicals. phew, that took a while.

a lot of people dont consider this a musical, but it really is, especially according to my special musical book..

Margie, with jeanne crain. yes i always have to add this one! heehee!

"Gigi" is also one of my all-time favorites. What's exciting is that the movie has been thoroughly restored to be given a DVD/blu-ray re-issue, for its 50th anniversary, so it has probably never looked better!

iz5chg.jpg

Well, I'd like to list my 10 favorite musicals or at least try to since I'm not sure I've seen that many. Like *Miss Goddess*, Musicals are not my favorite genre (Do you still love me too? ;) ) But if I had to come up with a favorite off the top of my head it would be The King And I because it's the only musical I think of at the moment where I caved and became a Weeping Willie. Yes, there a couple of moments there that do me in. I like Fiddler on the Roof a lot too. Both of these musicals have leading men that were born for those roles it seems to me. Deborah Kerr is perfect. The "Uncle Tom's Cabin" routine is extraordinary. All those Oscar & Hammerstein musicals were great. The King of Siam was accused of being a "barbarian" and as Jean Laffite of the Rolling Main I can identify with that as I have had to sustain similar verbal attacks from my enemies and even my friends (when I have any). BTW, if *MissB* is reading this I hope that when you came to the part when Laffite becomes a Weeping Willie that maybe just at that moment you thought of Gary or Darcy or were somehow otherwise distracted and will not remember that about the weepin' willie 'cause it's not befitting a barbarian like me to be having Weepin' Willie moments over some corny musical and I wouldn't want it to get around :D. My mother loved Seven Brides and I've seen that one too but a long time ago. I remember liking it. I like Nelson-Eddy stuff although they are more properly operettas...I think. I like Rose Marie especially. Jeanette sings some real opera arias in that one that were pretty good. I like Sigmund Romberg's songs a lot. He wrote Maytime and The Student Prince. I even enjoyed Deep in My Heart, the life of Romberg, and I like the way they did some of his songs, some of those little productions were quite elaborate and classy. Musicals were very popular when talkies started and when TCM first started I enjoyed watching those...but I don't have titles? They really did it up good though, talk about elaborate. I like The Show of Shows and Hollywood Revue of 1929. I don't think TCM has shown those in awhile. I wish they would.

So, my 10 favorite musicals are as follows:

1. The King and I

2. Fiddler on the Roof

:D

Theresa, this thread is a good idea. It's only logical that Musicals have a thread in Favorites. Now if some of us (gee, I wonder who?) would start watching a few, maybe he ;) would have a better list.

Message was edited by: laffite

seems only one person has mentioned it so far, but "The Wizard of Oz" is a great musical as well as a wonderful family classic. since this year marks its 70th anniversary, I hope TCM will mark the occasion with an appropriate tribute.

well hypothetically i did! heehee! if you look at my list i stated bascialy every judy garland movie. that one counts to. :) i have the box set anniversary of "Wizard of Oz" with my angela lansbury talking about all the stories that happened while making it and a whole bunch of extras. i love watching them! im surely TCM will pay tribute to it! i think they have only missed a few years with not playing judy movies on her birthday. they are usually good about that. one year hey skipped that day, b/c ronald reagan died and they paid tribute to him on her birthday instead. i didnt mind much since it was ronnie reagan. i like him too!

i collect memorabilia from The Wizard of Oz too. my grandma made me a wizard of oz quilt. heehee!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

hey mon swasheroo!

Well, I'd like to list my 10 favorite musicals or at least try to since I'm not sure I've seen that many. Like Miss Goddess, Musicals are not my favorite genre (Do you still love me too?)

yes johnny. but you didnt list 10 silly! i otta throw you off the plank for not doing that! heehee!

*1. The King and I*

*2. Fiddler on the Roof*

these are two great musicals! i will give you credit for them. heehee! especially Fiddler on the roof-one of the best! i have the entire thing memorized! my favorite song is the "Matchmaker" song. i always wait for it and love singing it with momma! but a ll of the songs are fantastic, full of so much energy. Topol did an amazing job with his part as Tevye; he really gave out that affect that just made you really believe!

Theresa, this thread is a good idea. It's only logical that Musicals have a thread in Favorites. Now if some of us (gee, I wonder who?) would start watching a few, maybe he would have a better list.

laffite: Now if some of us (gee, I wonder who?) would start watching a few, maybe he would have a better list

theresa:(muttering) yeah maybe i wouldnt have to push you off the ship or dump lucy on you.

laffite: what was that?

theresa: nothing

heehee!

let's see:

Rose Marie

Seven Brides

Fiddler on the Roof

The King And I

Deep in My Heart

The Student Prince

Maytime

Hollywood Revue of 1929

The Show of Shows

that still isnt 10! you need one more silly pirate!

thats an interesting list, though, i like it oddly enough, but maybe i shouldnt say that. heehee!

The Student Prince was a great movie full of great music, i had always been a fan of Ann Blyth and loved her in this movie. i used to not like it when i was younger and grandmama made me watch it, but i grew accustomed to it and now i love watching it. she loves humming to ths music in it! Edmund Purdom did a great job with is voice too. they make a cute couple.

isnt Deep in My Heart the one with Merle Oberon, Jose Ferrer, and Walter Pidgeon? i think so. yes it is! i remember, Paul Henried , Janie Powell and Gene Kelly guest starred in it too! wait wasnt rosemarry clooney in it? i havent seen it in a while, but i seem to be remembering her in it somewhere. i remember that it was a very cute movie, but the last time i saw it was at grandmama's house when i was littler.

Maytime is a sad Nelson and Jeannette movie. its greatly acted in and their singing couldn't be more perfect, but i hate how it ended, granted i understand more now then i used to of why it ended like it did. it helps that when you get older you understand more. heehee! some of my favorite songs of thiers are in that one though, so i do watch it a lot, and momma just loves it! she says it reminds her of when she was my age and her music teacher made her sing a couple jeanette Macdonald songs for a recital once. in Rose-Marie, i love "The Indian Love Call". thats my favorite scene in that movie of theirs! its so heartfelt and you just start to cry when you hear them singing....well i do anyway. heehee!

hey kathy!

*I have always been a sucker for a fun musical... I really love the old Doris Day and Judy Garland films*

yay!

*Also on the list.. but not nessarily in order...*

*On Moonlight Bay*

*Oklahoma*

*Carousel*

*The Unsinkable Molly Brown*

*Calamity Jane*

*The Music Man*

*Singin' In the Rain*

*South Pacific*

*Guys and Dolls*

*Seven Brides For Seven Brothers*

*Fiddler on the Roof*

*West Side Story*

ooh which Music Man do you like best? the one with Kristen Chenoweth or Shirley Jones?

im impressed with your list kathy! not many people recognize The Unsinkable Molly Brown as one of the greatest musicals. i thorughly agree with you though. its such a fun one! Debbie Reynolds did such a great job with it, and i think she deserved her Oscar nod for it.

South Pacific! im gonna wash that man right outta my hair, im gonna wash that man right outta my hair, im gonna wash that man right outta my hair, and send him on his way! heehee!

Which song from west Side Story do you like best? my favorite is "America". whats yours? ot which dance scene?

Did I mention I like musicals???

more than once silly. heehee!

PS...Here... I brought along some tea and cakes for your tea party... maybe that will help make up for my "wordiness" Ha.

yay! tea and cakes! let's invite mary poppins....uh-oh, i left that off my list, i shoulda put it on. im in trouble! heehee!

Hi Miss T! Lafitte mentioning the operettas made me realize I made a very sad omission:

Love Me Tonight and the Lubitsch musicals. How could I? And if Young at Heart

is indeed a musical, then in it goes as well! Can't get enough Frank Sinatra on my list. :)

i'll try my best for you dahlink: in no order...

Funny Girl

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Good News (junie allyson)

Shall We Dance

Presenting Lily Mars

Summer Stock

On the town

The Sound of Music

Two Weeks with Love

Naughty Marietta

Merry Andrew

Jumbo

Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend

Hello, Dolly!

In the Good Old Summertime

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Xanadu

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

Easter Parade....oh goodness every movie with Judy Garland heehee!

Hit the Deck

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

The Glenn Miler Story

The Eddy Dutchin Story

Talk about eclectic! Yours is really across the board, as befits a die-hard

musical lover. :)

I like most of those, too, including Two Weeks with Love and Good News.

Now, who are your top favorite musical performers?

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

*Hi Miss T! Lafitte mentioning the operettas made me realize I made a very sad omission:*

*Love Me Tonight and the Lubitsch musicals. How could I? And if Young at Heart*

*is indeed a musical, then in it goes as well! Can't get enough Frank Sinatra on my list.*

good day dahlink! Love Me Tonight is one of thos musicals, where you can't leave the room for a second. you have to pause the movie to get some more hot tea. heehee! your full attention has to be in the movie i get to where im so deep in the movie that i cant see anything else around me, its all black, and im in the movie with Jeanette singing with her.

Young a Heart is definitely a musical, and i think every movie where Frankie sings even one songs should be considered so. he just makes it a musical for me. goodness, he doesnt even have to sing and i still think its a musical; you know like The Manchurian Candidate? not exactly music type, but he's in it and and thats whgat counts....and so is angela! heehee!

*I like most of those, too, including Two Weeks with Love and Good News.*

i can remember the first three old movies grandmama showed to me when i was littler, and all three of them were musicals. the first one was 1)In The Good Old Summertime; 2) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; 3)Two Weeks with Love. they are all in my top 5 for surely! Good News is next. heehee!

Now, who are your top favorite musical performers?

okay i can do that, in no order:

_top 20_

Julie Andrews

Judy Garland

Junie Allyson

Lena Horne

Angela Lansbury

Freddy Astaire

Ginger Rogers

Barbra Streisand

Janie Powell

Doris Day

Gene Kelly

Betty Grable

Annie Miller

Irene Dunne

Jeanette Macdonald

Audrey Hepburn

Leslie Caron

Alice Faye

Danny Kaye

Howard Keel

_honorary mention_

Russ Tamblyn

Mickey Rooney

Vera Ellen

Eleanor Powell

Betty Hutton

Debbie Reynolds

George Murphy

Carmen Miranda

Gordan MacCrae

Allan Jones

Hiya Kiddo!!

Miss G is right... you DO have quite the eclectic list... I like how you have some 'lesser knowns" in with some big names too.

I thought of two more I should have mentioned on my fave list... The Sound of Music and The King and I... oh wait... and My Fair Lady... I guess that's THREE more... Ha.

I have to confess though... I have a lot more limited repertoire than you do.. I tend to lean a little on the "big" movies for favorites.... But some of the ones on your list I have always liked too.... (Especially the "Judy's"... In the Good Old Summertime... and Easter Parade... and I think April mentioned The Harvey Girls... I''ve only seen that once, but I really liked it)

which Music Man do you like best?

Well, I have only seen the one with Shirley Jones... but I probably would STILL prefer that one even if I did see the other... there are just SO many fun performances... and I am a "stick in the mud" when it comes to my favorites... I don't like trying to picture anyone else in a role once I set my heart on it... How well does Kristen do as Marian?

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

I was a young kid the first time I saw this film... and my Mom and I watched it together... we laughed and cried and laughed... It is a terrific movie. And it was a long time after that before I ever knew that Molly Brown was a real person. (I am sure the musical is VERY loosely based on her life story though) So everytime I see any version of the Titanic story w/ Molly Brown as one of the characters, I am looking around wondering, "Hey, Where's Debbie?"

Which song from west Side Story do you like best? my favorite is "America". whats yours? ot which dance scene?

I think for "dancing" I like America the best. As for songs... I have to go w/ "I Feel Pretty"... mainly because it is so fun to make fun of while I sing along... (As in...you know... I use a real "prissy voice" while I am singing and flourish and twirl around... I have rubbed off on the kiddling too... we go around the house every so often having occasional "I feel pretty" song fests. Ha.) :-)

PS... Did you stay up late and watch OKLAHOMA last night?? I haven't seen that in years.. and tough break for me... I did not realize it was on until it was already well into the story. So I more or less missed most of it. But did watch it for just a little while and then had to give up because it was VERY late and I was VERY bleary eyed by that point... Maybe I will catch it again some other time.. I still need to hire a private secretary to keep up w/ all these movies I want to watch or tape... I am AWFUL about checking the listings. I guess I am just old and set in my ways... Ha. :-)

Hi Theresa,

Here are my top ten favorites. This list is not in any particular order and is subject to change at any moment. There are many that I haven't seen and some I will probably forget to name.

1. *The Gay Divorcee - 1934* This is my favorite of the Astaire/Rogers films. It also brings up an immediate problem with a list like this. Why do I like the film? Is it for the music or something else? In this case something else. The music is great but the film is just so darn funny. It has one of the greatest supporting casts you could ask for. Edward Everett Horton, Alice Brady, Erik Rhodes, Eric Blore and Betty Grable.

2. *The Gangs All Here - 1943* I didn't see any Fox wartime musicals on anyone's list. What's up with that people??? Busby Berkeley's only Technicolor musical. It's a great trip. Carmen Miranda, Alice Faye, Edward Everett Horton (again), Charlotte Greenwood and I'll even overlook the fact that Eugene Pallette is allowed to sing. This is the ultimate escapism.

3. *Best Foot Forward - 1943* Buckle Down, Winsocki, Buckle Down!!! What a catchy tune! It stays in your head...well...forever! It's always back there somewhere drumming away. Lucy plays herself and makes fun of herself. That Nancy Walker could really jive!

4. *Footlight Parade - 1933* Some great production numbers here. Cagney singing Shanghai Lil. I actually like Keeler in this one. A great Warner's cast. Blondell, McHugh, Kibbee, Herbert, Donnelly, some guy named Powell.

5. *Easter Parade - 1948* - This one has always been tops with me. The only pairing of Astaire and Garland and both are perfect here. Ann Miller and Peter Lawford. Great nostalgic period piece. I love the feel of the title number at the end.

6. *Panama Hattie - 1942* Yes I said Panama Hattie !! Dag gummit!! I know I'm the only one who thinks this is a great movie. Let's see. You got Ann Southern, Skelton and Ragland, Alan Mowbray, Marsha Hunt and Dan Dailey. You have Virginia O'Brien singing (Did I Get Stinkin') At the Savoy and Lena Horne singing two, count 'em two, numbers; Just One of Those Things and, joined by the Berry brothers for The Spring. It's funny, with some great songs. A great way to escape your troubles. A very under appreciated WWII musical.

7. *The Band Wagon - 1953* I'll take this one over *Singin' in the Rain* please. I like them both but there is just something about this one. I love the cast. Oscar Levant is great. This is just a lot of fun. It has one of the most romantic sequences ever in the Astaire/ Charisse Dancing in the Dark number. The Girl Hunt Ballet is mesmerizing. Astaire and Charisse at their best.

8. *Girl Crazy - 1943* I'll pick this one for my essential Rooney/Garland picture. I like the way they work off each other here, though I always like them together. Some great tunes and the story holds together well. At 99 minutes it's a little tighter than some of their other pairings.

9. *Brigadoon - 1954* In the Astaire vs. Kelly debate, I've always backed Astaire, but I'll be the first to give Kelly his due. I wont even say this is his best musical. There is just something about the atmosphere and dreamy quality of this one that captures my fancy. Sometimes I just want to get away from it all and stumble upon Brigadoon.

10. *Cabaret - 1972* I'll end on a decidedly darker tone. Fosse just hits one out of the park here. Returning to the stagebound musical style, he gets a great performance out of Minnelli and she puts a lot of heart into those cabaret numbers. The film captures all the decadence and despair of Weimar Germany. It's funny, chilling and heartbreaking all at the same time.

If you ask me again in an hour you might get a different list. I left a lot of faves off here. I also went a little heavy on the MGM ones. Two musicals I really want to see. *A Star is Born* from 1954 (I'll be getting to it soon Lynn! :) ) and *Springtime in the Rockies* which, ridiculously, has not had a dvd release yet.

Message was edited by: molo14

*hey mon swasheroo!*

Hey there!

*that still isnt 10! you need one more silly pirate!...i otta throw you off the plank for not doing that! heehee!*

You're too nice to do that. That's something that Lucy Van Pelt would do, not ButterscotchGreer ;). But just in case...(you can't be too careful), how about Babes in Arms ! Or is it Babes on Broadway ? Babes in Toyland ? You see how bad I am (maybe I should walk the plank after all). It's the one where Judy sings "How About You?," and Mickey does imitations of John Barrymore and Clark Gable. Does that count? I remember liking New Moon , 1930, with Lawrence Tibbett and Grace Moore, a couple of Metropolitan Opera Stars. I don't have to tell an expert like you that New Moon was written by SR.

*laffite: Now if some of us (gee, I wonder who?) would start watching a few, maybe he would have a better list*

*theresa:(muttering) yeah maybe i wouldnt have to push you off the ship or dump lucy on you.*

Please push me off the ship. Be merciful.

*thats an interesting list, though, i like it oddly enough, but maybe i shouldnt say that. heehee!*

I heard that ;).

*The Student Prince was a great movie full of great music, i had always been a fan of Ann Blyth and loved her in this movie. i used to not like it when i was younger and grandmama made me watch it, but i grew accustomed to it and now i love watching it. she loves humming to ths music in it! Edmund Purdom did a great job with is voice too. they make a cute couple.*

When it's summertime in Heidelberg,

There's beauty everywhere...

I'm not surprised you didn't like it as a kid. I think that show is kind of grown-uppy in some ways, or at least the songs are. "Golden Days" isn't exactly a toe-tapper that a young person might take to or identify with, obviously...but what a beautiful song, as is the one above.

*isnt Deep in My Heart the one with Merle Oberon, Jose Ferrer, and Walter Pidgeon? i think so. yes it is! i remember, Paul Henried , Janie Powell and Gene Kelly guest starred*

I recall Ferrer doing this tour-de-force one-man bit where he did a musical skit taking all the parts. He had to do a little singing elsewhere and wasnt' that bad. As Sigmund Romberg he would sing some of his new songs to Helen Traubel, who joined on a couple of occasions. Helen was a former opera singer who did a lot of Wagner. It's not easy to sing Wagner and then switch gears and sing in the easy way she did in a popular style. She was perfectly at home. Many opera stars have difficulty, they can't help sounding affected, as if they were still singing opera. Helen had a reputation for having squabbles with authorities at the Met and so it is interesting to see her having such a good time with this movie. She looked as if she really enjoyed doing it. I'm sure you remember that, in this movie, a biopic, whenever he came to write one of his biggest shows, the movie took a time out and gave us a number from that particular show. These set pieces were big productions, some of them quite lavish. Jane Powell sang that famous song from Maytime that Nelson sang in his version with Jeannette (Terrible I can't remember the title...the plank?). She sings to this good looking guy who I don't think sings a single word, he is simply the object of her sweet affection as she sings away. At the end she plants a smoocheroo on the kisser that he probably still hasn't gotten over. If they had Oscars for Best Kiss in a Motion Picture, she would have ran away with it. (Notice how I always remember the most salient facts about a given picture.) I like Romberg, he wrote so many beautiful melodies. He's like the Puccini of Operetta.

*Maytime is a sad Nelson and Jeannette movie. its greatly acted in and their singing couldn't be more perfect, but i hate how it ended,*

Well, one of them died, now which one was it?...I'm terrible (the plank?). But that's the beauty of musical, operetta, and opera for that matter, you can still sing to each other even when one of you is dead. Surely you must have liked that, yes? How about in Sweet Hearts, when Nelson Eddy dies and Jeannette would run up stairs to the balcony and talk to him. And then one day she looked up and saw his big old face looking down from the sky and they sang this duet. Boy was that corny. (Ooops, sorry. Gotta watch myself these days...the plank...or worse, Miss Van Pelt, ew)

:D

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

>

> 1. *The Gay Divorcee - 1934* This is my favorite of the Astaire/Rogers films. It also brings up an immediate problem with a list like this. Why do I like the film? Is it for the music or something else? In this case something else. The music is great but the film is just so darn funny. It has one of the greatest supporting casts you could ask for. Edward Everett Horton, Alice Brady, Erik Rhodes, Eric Blore and Betty Grable.

>

> 2. *The Gangs All Here - 1943* I didn't see any Fox wartime musicals on anyone's list. What's up with that people??? Busby Berkeley's only Technicolor musical. It's a great trip. Carmen Miranda, Alice Faye, Edward Everett Horton (again), Charlotte Greenwood and I'll even overlook the fact that Eugene Pallette is allowed to sing. This is the ultimate escapism.

>

> 3. *Best Foot Forward - 1943* Buckle Down, Winsocki, Buckle Down!!! What a catchy tune! It stays in your head...well...forever! It's always back there somewhere drumming away. Lucy plays herself and makes fun of herself. That Nancy Walker could really jive!

>

> 4. *Footlight Parade - 1933* Some great production numbers here. Cagney singing Shanghai Lil. I actually like Keeler in this one. A great Warner's cast. Blondell, McHugh, Kibbee, Herbert, Donnelly, some guy named Powell.

>

> 5. *Easter Parade - 1948* - This one has always been tops with me. The only pairing of Astaire and Garland and both are perfect here. Ann Miller and Peter Lawford. Great nostalgic period piece. I love the feel of the title number at the end.

>

> 6. *Panama Hattie - 1942* Yes I said Panama Hattie !! Dag gummit!! I know I'm the only one who thinks this is a great movie. Let's see. You got Ann Southern, Skelton and Ragland, Alan Mowbray, Marsha Hunt and Dan Dailey. You have Virginia O'Brien singing (Did I Get Stinkin') At the Savoy and Lena Horne singing two, count 'em two, numbers; Just One of Those Things and, joined by the Berry brothers for The Spring. It's funny, with some great songs. A great way to escape your troubles. A very under appreciated WWII musical.

>

> 7. *The Band Wagon - 1953* I'll take this one over *Singin' in the Rain* please. I like them both but there is just something about this one. I love the cast. Oscar Levant is great. This is just a lot of fun. It has one of the most romantic sequences ever in the Astaire/ Charisse Dancing in the Dark number. The Girl Hunt Ballet is mesmerizing. Astaire and Charisse at their best.

>

> 8. *Girl Crazy - 1943* I'll pick this one for my essential Rooney/Garland picture. I like the way they work off each other here, though I always like them together. Some great tunes and the story holds together well. At 99 minutes it's a little tighter than some of their other pairings.

>

> 9. *Brigadoon - 1954* In the Astaire vs. Kelly debate, I've always backed Astaire, but I'll be the first to give Kelly his due. I wont even say this is his best musical. There is just something about the atmosphere and dreamy quality of this one that captures my fancy. Sometimes I just want to get away from it all and stumble upon Brigadoon.

>

> 10. *Cabaret - 1972* I'll end on a decidedly darker tone. Fosse just hits one out of the park here. Returning to the stagebound musical style, he gets a great performance out of Minnelli and she puts a lot of heart into those cabaret numbers. The film captures all the decadence and despair of Weimar Germany. It's funny, chilling and heartbreaking all at the same time.

>

> If you ask me again in an hour you might get a different list. I left a lot of faves off here. I also went a little heavy on the MGM ones. Two musicals I really want to see. *A Star is Born* from 1954 (I'll be getting to it soon Lynn! :) ) and *Springtime in the Rockies* which, ridiculously, has not had a dvd release yet.

>

> Message was edited by: molo14

This is a very eclectic list. I really like that you concentrated on 30s and 40s musicals, including only 2 from the 50s and one from the 70s. (And none from the 60s!).

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> i collect memorabilia from The Wizard of Oz too. my grandma made me a wizard of oz quilt. heehee!

>

> Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

I've never really had a chance to collect much Oz memorabilia, although I'm sure if I had started, I'd have spent hundreds of dollars already. This year, I may just make an exception if I see something really nice. By the way, that quilt your grandma made you sounds totally lovely!

Jane Powell's boyfriend in the MAYTIME clip was Vic Damone, one of the top male crooners of the fifties. He starred in three other pictures with Powell - RICH, YOUNG, AND PRETTY, ATHENA, and HIT THE DECK.

CFH