Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChiO

Create Your Own Nightmare Noir

Oooh, Mr. Honeywell, Ms. Rohanaka...what an interesting premise. I like how your noir mind works. Even though we're just casting and getting the production team together on this, would you care to just give us a brief treatment of the first scene? Think about a dark rain-soaked, neon-lit street with some extras like Zasu Pitts or Dame May Whitty or Helen Broderick exiting a nightclub as our noir hero passes by.

What would be next?

An aside: Ms. Rohanaka, if I may, with all due and utmost respect, your reference to ghouls doesn't fit the criteria for film noir. Be reminded we must stay on-topic on our new and improved Message Board; the reference to ghouls would properly go into the Horror category.

And I see villagers with pitchforks coming down the lonely road. Many villagers.

So to continue...

Message was edited by CineMaven becuz I had to re-check for the proper film noir metaphors. Saaay, let's not leave out Lizabeth Scott, shall we!

Nope it doesn't get more noir than that, Mr. H. I stand corrected. Sorry Rohanaka.

Message was edited by CineMaven becuz I am actually sitting down, scratching my head and wondering..."how long to the next fan programmer promo???"

"Oooh, Mr. Honeywell, Ms. Rohanaka...what an interesting premise. I like how your noir mind works. Even though we're just casting and getting the production team together on this, would you care to just give us a brief treatment of the first scene? Think about a dark rain-soaked, neon-lit street with some extras like _______ or ____________ or ___________ exiting a nightclub as our noir hero passes by.

What would be next?"

Message was edited by CineMaven because fellow posters care about me. But many of you got a laugh!

Truth is always stranger than fiction - you guys hit the nail square on the head. Thanks for the late night chuckle.

"HA! :-) Ha! :-) Ha. :-) "

Picture the above as the maniacal laughter of DeNiro in Scorsese's version of "Cape Fear" and you'll be close.

I'd better cut and paste these. No telling when your pre-code gems will be cut by TCM City's very own Will Hays.

Ack! :P

(Seriously though, great writing Mr. H. Keep up the good work!) ;-)

I'm also cutting and pasting these, Mr. Honeywell, because I'm in agreement with Maven....

I loved your almost Lovecraftian descriptions of these sorry creatures.

Yog Sothoth!

Just one last question; a point of clarification, Beowulf. This bay you write about...is it the Bay of Naples, the Bay of Fundie? Or could it be the Bay of Pigs?

...In CUBA, silly. Yeeesh!!!

Thanx!

No.

Welp, that answers that.

I was hoping for redemption...but that's not what noir is, is it. Guess I'm a romantic. Oh wait, then I'm in the wrong thread. Okay. I accept your premise in your noir nightmare. Well, don't forget to tie it all together in this noir story as per the edict of the author of this thread.

Oh yeah...and though I may not openly applaud you on every thread, just know that I think you're doing a grand job. Writing. And holding up the flashlight. Fearless, in fact.

Wasn't there a line in "DRACULA" (1931) that the power of the vampire is people's disbelief? Oh crap...that's horror. Wrong thread again.

Don't worry...I'll get it together. Aaaah, my breakfast is here.

Toodles. ;-)

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "HA! :-) Ha! :-) Ha. :-) "

>

> Picture the above as the maniacal laughter of DeNiro in Scorsese's version of "Cape Fear" and you'll be close.

>

> I'd better cut and paste these. No telling when your pre-code gems will be cut by TCM City's very own Will Hays.

>

> Ack! :P

>

> (Seriously though, great writing Mr. H. Keep up the good work!) ;-)

Cutting and pasting seems to be the way to go nowadays. Our nightmare goes on.

Message was edited by: cinemafan because I just realized that our very own nightmare is ongoing.

A sequal to Dark Zombies...

STUDIO: Turner Productions, Inc.

YEAR: 2009

TITLE: BESEIGED (the Saga Continues)

Director: Edward D. Wood

CAST: the same as Dark Zombies... (but with numerous additions to the ever expanding cast)

Story: Same old story, over and over...and over.

Well, I've read some good ideas for a noir, and some not so good ones.

Here's one that has been in my mind for a while, which could have been a great project at RKO or even Monogram Pictures. Do you remember all of the Hitchcock movies that involved a good person who was wrongly accused? This is a sort of feminist version of that.

It is about a very nice young lady who, having loved classic cinema all of her life, once joined a support group for celluloid addicts. She had hoped that there would be mature, intelligent individuals, willing and able to have thoughtful discussions. Alas, she soon found herself besieged by some wrong-headed characters, who for no apparent reason started making all kinds of false accusations against her. They accused her of being a Communist, and worse - and promptly set about their own McCarthy-like witch-hunts, accusing her and other innocent parties of trying to subvert democracy and destroy their support group. Our heroine was aghast that any body, especially her fellow celluloid fans, could be so vicious and mendacious when all she wanted was to simply partake in the group discussions. You see, our heroine had previously spent much of her time and energy in all kinds of civil rights endeavors, always trying to fight for the underdog, the oppressed, the dispossessed, those who needed any kind of help and had no one to turn to and no one to help them.

In the course of her young career, she had had the misfortune of running at unexpected times with some particularly evil men, men who took advantage of her and assaulted her, and did horrible things to her. She was profoundly shaken after having been beaten up on several occasions, and she thanked the Lord that she had not been raped, she could not imagine having had the strength to endure such an ordeal, because then the thought of suicide would have been far too difficult to resist. She was aware that while some men were perfectly decent individuals, there were others who were out to hurt women, to take advantage of women - and that these men, having enjoyed male privilege all of their lives, were sometimes particularly vicious and sought to make up phony excuses to exercise all kinds of hostility and all kinds of violence - physical, verbal, psychological - against women. Particularly women who were known or believed to belong to some minority, the women who already enjoyed less societal privilege than just about any other human being, and who were particularly inviting targets for the mendacious men who enjoyed hurting them, oppressing them, marginalizing them, making them invisible for all intents and purposes.

Our heroine did her best to continue enjoying a regular life, one which would also allow her to devote as much of her free time as possible to her film studies. But she knew that the mendacious men (and the women who enabled them) would always be looking for ways to spread falsehoods about her, and looking at every turn to convince others that she had some kind of ulterior motive. She often wondered, could these people really be so blind not to notice that she'd been wrongly accused? Or did they actually believe their own lies? Was there any point in trying to get the truth out? She was pretty sure they would never accept the truth - it was far easier for them to continue demonizing an innocent person, because it enabled them to have an easy scapegoat who could easily be blamed for anything that happened in the support group that they did not like.

And, the truth of it was that some of them really did seem to enjoy conducting their own little witch hunts. Even those who, by virtue of their own reported experience in academia, should have known better than to swoop so low.

(to be continued...)