Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic death scenes

filmlover

Love this idea for a thread. Here are a few deaths I didn't see, but even if they're here already, they bear repeating

1. *Love and Death*--cracks me up every time--Woody Allen's obsession with death combines in a funny parody of all classic Russian literature. "What's death like?" "You know the chicken at [forgot the name of the restaurant he names]?" "Yeah?" "It's worse than that" Then he and death dance off

2. *Sayonara*--though I saw it coming (they foreshadowed it, after all), it still made me cry--the only two decent, fantastic humans in the whole movie and they're gone!! And it was so beautifully framed and shot, and Marlon's reaction is brilliant of course. :(.....

3. *Yankee Doodle Dandy*--maybe it's because John Huston is such an insanely amazing actor, and so is Cagney, but I've seen the movie 90000 times and it STILL makes me cry. "My father thanks you, my mother thanks you, my sister thanks you, and"---- so heart renching--great of Curtiz to focus simply on Cagney's brilliant and realistic reaction

4. *It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World*- "He kicked the bucket"--need I say more?

5. *Manchurian Candidate*--yes, three people die in a row at the end, but look at the way Angela Lansbury dies--it is so unlike Classic Hollywood because it's so real and ungraceful and disgusting the way she falls when she's shot. MAN, it's incredible! What a great choice for her to make!

That's enough death for me for one day!

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

>... Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan

-Don't forget, Data, in Star Trek: Nemesis, blown up in a Thalereon Radiation explosion.

Speaking of that film, the execution of the entire Romulan Senate by Thalereon Radiation.

ST:X - The death of Hellbo... er, I mean, Ron Perlman/Praetor by Will Riker kicking him down a Jeffery's tube shaft- Which in turn is very similar to the death of Christopher Lloyd/Commander Kruge at Kirk's hands, ah... I mean, Feet: "I... am sick... of You!" (Star Trek III)

-The death of Paul Winfield, Captain Tyrell? In Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan ("Waporised" by a self induced Phaser blast)

-The death of The Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact due to Data pulling her into the frozen gas and destroying all of her "biological" parts, and the final breaking of her spine by Picard.

Star Trek: Next Generation: The death of Tasha Yar by the alien Armus in the episode "Skin of Evil" - For no reason at all. I don't know if that actually counts, TV show.

The digitization of Lt Ilia/Persis Khambata in "Star Treck: The Motion Picture" by Voyager/Veeger- "THIS is what I call, Unwarranted" - Captain William Decker/Stephen Collins

Ok, other shows: The planet EARTH, as destroyed in "When Worlds Collide"- Could have been more spectacular, but a nice flame-out anyway.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (Original) - After Klaatu is shot, Gort goes ballistic and 'Waporises" a few soldiers and tanks.

"Forbidden Planet" - The great Hamlet-Type death of "Doc" Warren Stephens by Krell Brain-Amplifier, also the *not shown*- But grisly described death of engineer Richard Anderson (He was torn limb from limb). The cremation of the planet Altair IV.

"Crack In The World" - A guy, inspecting a live volcano shaft, falls in to the lava and is totally disintegrated.

"Return of The King" - Gollum falls into Mt Doom, but it was too clean, he needed to be dissolved.

"Return of The King" - The grisly death of The Witch King of Angmar at the hands of "Dernhelm"/Eowyn.

(Getting back to the 50's) - In "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" - The death of the "Alien" Bill Farrell (Liquefies)

"Picture of Dorian Gray" - Dorian Gray ages/decomposes rapidly.

More recent:

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" - What happens to the Nazi Sons of Blank when they open the Ark.

"Alien" - Who can forget the chest bursting scene? According to Ridley S, they actually shocked everyone in the scene, only John H knew what was about to happen.

Aliens - The Introduction of the Alien Queen (Not a deth scene but very memorable) - The spearing of Bishop (Not a deth scene but grisly)

Terminator: The removal of Punk Brian Thompson's (later the shape changing alien from The X-Files) heart by Governor Arnie.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Robert Patrick in the shape of Jenette Goldstein slices Xander Berkeley's head open - Offscreen, they only show the result (I still shudder when I think of that one).

That's all I can think of for now, I'll add more later, hehehe!

-

I don't remember the name of the movie, but it was in the late '50s or early '60s when I saw it. It was one of those low-budget B horror movies. The scene was a guy standing in front of a window, looking out. He picked up a pair of binoculars and put them to his face in front of his eyes, and when he turned the little wheel to adjust the lens, 2 spikes popped out of the lens and poked right through his eyes and into his brain. Whoa! That jolted me!

For some reason, I think the movie may have been Konga, one of those King Kong rip-offs.

Maggio In From Here to Eternity

Joe Gillis in Sunset Blvd -as he is being shot ,making his way so suavely to the pool to die.

I think no one gets shot as well as William Holden-

You can almost feel each shot when Pike Bishop (and everyone) is dying in The Wild Bunch. Sam Pekinpah is always great with death.

In Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Slim Pickens as Sheriff Baker dying quietly to the tune of Knocking on Heavens Door, with Katy Jurado so stoic .