Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
marinela_silvouplait

Nyuk Nyuk?Huh? Sean Penn Joins ?Three Stooges? Movie

Just read this and thought it was... intriguing and disturbing.

March 25, 2009, 2:29 pm

Nyuk Nyuk?Huh? Sean Penn Joins ?Three Stooges? Movie

By Dave Itzkoff

To his allies, Sean Penn is a wise guy; to his adversaries, he?s a stooge. Now they?re both correct: the actor has joined the cast of ?The Three Stooges,? a new MGM comedy based on the vintage film shorts of that knockaround trio, Variety reported. Mr. Penn, who recently won his second Academy Award, for playing the title role in Gus Van Sant?s ?Milk,? is set to play Larry, the wire-haired, Stradivarius-wielding Stooge. The studio is also said to be in final negotiations with Jim Carrey, who will gain weight to play the rotund Curly, and is pursuing Benicio Del Toro (?Che?) to play the irritable Moe. The film is to be written and directed by Bobby and Peter Farrelly (of ?There?s Something About Mary? and ?Kingpin? fame), and is planned for a 2010 release.

stooges.jpg

Message was edited by: marinela_silvouplait because she found a neat photo

Oh my God! This has to be the most *stupid* thing I have ever heard. And I thought someone remaking "True Grit" was bad, but *The Three Stooges?* That simply can't be done and will end in disaster.

Sean Penn a STOOGE?

SmileyCentral.comimage.gif

I gotta tell ya', I'm not all that put out by this news. I'm kinda lookin' forward to it. I'm a big Stooges fan, and I saw the made-for-TV one and liked it, so really this wouldn't be a remake of a real movie. lol I know that kinda sounds snobbish, like TV movies can't compare to the big screen ones, because they can and have, but it's not like they're remaking of a tried-and-true classic film, ya' know?

Sean Penn, Del Toro, and Jim Carrey?! I say why not give it a shot. This trio may just work. The TV movie was good, and showed the Stooges? private side, this movie may delve a little deeper and who better to pull it off? I think this is almost exciting, and I'm not into new movies, but I say nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, and good for Moe, Larry and Curly to be getting this kind of compliment with this caliber of celeb portraying them. :-)

GG, I'm on the fence about it. If it's a biopic or similar to that at least, like the TV movie was, I'd be ok with it, and might even want to watch it. I liked the TV movie, even though it wasn't totally accurate, it was nice, as you said, to see the off-screen lives of the Stooges. Those guys were such caricatures, it was nice to humanize them a bit. If that is what this is, I'd be ok, but I've ready varying reports that it might be just an elongated short, with no background or biographical stuff at all. If that's the case...thumbs strictly down.

I agree....I was a bit put off by the True Grit remake news, but considering the Coen Bros talent, they will make it their own. Better or not, it will just be a different movie.

The problem I see with these other cheesy remakes is the attempt to cash in on a "sure" thing. They make the "pitch" there's a built in audience as a base income and the film will "turn new generations on to the classic" like such un-classic Flintstones, Brady Bunch & Beverly Hillbillies.

The biggest problem is the casting of actors to not only act like the charactors, but act like the actors who played the charactors first time around. Gah!

What is most appealing about old 3 Stooges? Three simple minded losers trying to make in in hard times and everything goes wrong for them. Throw in lots of slapping, hitting, iron pans, slippery food, etc. It's barely funny in the original, but we love the charactor's expressions and reactions and sound effects. I especially enjoy seeing the oldy timey sets, props and especially the rare exterior showing old Hollywood.

Audiences of today are NOT going to accept the violence, no matter how slapstick and silly they make it. Remember, it used to be acceptible to take Jr "out to the woodshed" for a spanking and today you can't even slap your kid's wrist in the grocery store.

Sean Penn as Larry? An excellent choice. Penn is a fantastic actor and will be brilliant in comedy. But his talent along with Carey's will not save a bad idea for a bad movie. It's going to be a huge embarassment for all involved.

I can see Penn as Larry, but not Carey as Curly. LOL. Sounds like an interesting project. We'll see!

Well, gee, if it's not going to be a biopic, then why bother? If it's an upscale version of the made-for-TV, then I'm all for it. Not that I have anything to say about it, but... lol

I think it may be a 'gotta go see it' with line up like that. They're all box office draws, so...

I guess we'll know more about it as time goes by. I still have hopes it'll be a biopic. :-)

C'mon everybody take a look at these three faces http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Stooges

My goodnes *they are* "The Three Stooges"! NO ONE can take their place. They are embedded in my brain! LOL!. They are an American icon!

What are people thinking? This new movie makes as much sense as Hollywood remaking "Gone with the Wind" and casting Sean Penn as Brett? Wouldn't you be appalled?

I hope their ghost haunts the soundstage of the new production!

Whoa! Larry Fein ain't no Clark Gable. lol

When I was a kid, I raced home to watch the Stooges, and as an adult I'll still watch them or a marathon when shown. No, no one can take their place, and, for the most part, I have NEVER liked the person playing one of my favorite icons, such as the TV movie Gable and Lombard: A Love Story. Ack! I'd rather see a biography than a biopic, but there have been a few where I've forgotten I was watching a mock version, such as the made-for-TV Stooge biopic, and got totally caught up in the stars playing the role. There have been others, too.

Photobucket

Absolutely, no one can ever replace the original, but I'm willing to give this movie a shot, if for no other reason it does bring the Stooges back into the limelight, and there's soitenly nuttin' wrong wit' dat. :-)

I also got this on Variety's blog/blurb,etc last night-(actually, now 2 days back technically) & talk about biarre casting! *Penn-(as Larry), *Del Toro-(as Moe)-(the latter is about 6'3 & Moe Howard was 5'4) & Jim Carrey-(as Curly Howard) Of whom must first do the *De Niro thing & put on about 30-40lbs. Farrelly Bros as u cited do plan to direct. "Three Stooges" was very first fan-club I was in-(l984-85) Though it was run very shabbily by Norman Maurer-(relative of: Moses Harold Horwitz-Moe) & it was really neat to stay in exact same motel I stayed at in Tinsel-Town & was also about 5 blocks from (Columbia Pictures aka: "Gower Gulch" "Poverty Row" & of course run by what James Bacon calls "The Meanest Man in Town" *Harry Cohn-(l89l-l958) in 1 of his books

Unfortunately no tours are allowed on it's tiny lot.-(Sunset & Gower) Though the far more legendary>Paramount Pictures-(& old RKO Radio) same lot, though they reeely try to ignore this fact on the tour. Was even closer As most on here know>Rita Hayworth-(l9l8-87) was at that pt it's A No. #1 star too ("One Star Studio") & 1 was considered punished if sent to Columbia-(backfired with 1934's *"It Happened 0ne Night" huh) Sadly, by the time HCOC got around to giving them a "Star' in 1988-(located at>Vine & Selma) Joe Besser was the only "Stooge" present. Curly Joe DeRita was still around until 1993, though blind due to diabetes for yrs

We shall see

Message was edited by: myidolspencer

I can't believe more of you aren't as apalled by this as I am.

Just the idea that "anyone" can "play" the 3 Stooges is idiotic. Just look at the failures of the substitutes for Curley while 2 of the original Stooges were still present. Shemp was alright, he actually brought his own element to the Stooges and was a logical substitute since he was a Howard. But the other 2 Joes (talented as they were in their own right) couldn't save the Stooges. The talent changed and the world changed around them, and the magic of the 3 Stooges was gone forever.

It was definitely a convergance of talent & timing that can never be recaptured.

In a related story, Sean Penn's pal and all-around-good-guy-dictator Hugo Ch?vez has just signed to play Pancho in The Citgo Kid. which promises to be a gas. Duncan Renaldo, who remains dead, could not be reached for comment.

I think the problem with the 2 Joes stepping into Curly's shoes was how could we accept either of them with the original Moe and Larry in the mix? It felt so wrong, and looked even worse. With this film, it's on a level playing field, all the faces are new, and if it's a biopic and not just a movie throw together to rehash their routines, who no one will ever be able to do better, these three may just be able to pull it off. My guess is, they're all big fans of the Stooges. Otherwish, why would they do it? lol

I'll have to give this movie a chance. It's as I said, I think it's a compliment to the Stooges staying power after all these decades. And if a new generation is introduced to them, what's so wrong with that? :-)

Well, the resemblance will probably be quite good, and he's a very good actor. Having said that, I do not think he'll be getting another Oscar for that performance. :P

"And if a new generation is introduced to them, what's so wrong with that? "

They should be introduced via the real thing, not this abomination.

Hey, stranger things have happened and you never know. Landau won for playing Lugosi, so. lol

We're assuming it's going to be a comedy, and in all probability it is, but then again?

True enough about Landau. And wasn't Robert Downey Jr nominated for "Chaplin"?

Nonetheless, the idea of a hard-hitting drama based on "The Three Stooges" does seem rather difficult to fathom. Especially when it's being directed by the Farrelly brothers. :P

Yeah, I believe Downey was nominated as Chaplin.

Sometimes there is a lot more drama than humor in a comic's life. And where I would hope the Farrelly Brothers will touch on the darker side of the Howard's lives, I do believe it'll be a comedy. The made-for-TV was a little weighty, so who knows where they'll go with it this time out. If my memory serves, the TV movie was a big success in the ratings. Lots of us baby-boomers still out there to go see this one. Just in the knick of time. lol

Well I didn't get to watch the made-for-TV version, but I would love to watch it if it's on video. As for the Farrelly brothers, they're good for some laughs (and sometimes very cheap laughs!) but I don't think they're going to go for much drama or real-life stuff at all, so I agree with you on this one.

If it's funny enough, it just might introduce a whole new generation to the "Three Stooges", and get them hooked on the all the classic shorts and features.