Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Personally, I think that TCM should show more foreign films. I think I learned a thing or two from foreign type films. Plus sometimes they?re just plain enjoyable. I seem to remember Sophia Loren as a prize in a lottery, Brigitte Bardot & Balzac, ?What am I supposed to tell my wife, I peed?? & ?If I make her smile, can I have her??(Solange?).

Yours Together In Film Appreciation,

Seeker

Hi Seeeker, welcome to the forums! :)

I agree with you that it would be nice, and I do hope that TCM continues to add the occasional foreign-language movie to the schedule in addition to the "Sunday Import" or whatever that's called.

Speaking of which, have you seen Marcel Carne's *Les Enfants du Paradis*, which TCM is showing on Sunday? It's a really magnificent movie. You may have heard of it by the English title, *Children of Paradise*. B-)

• 2 weeks later...

I would love TCM to showcase more foreign films. I am thrilled that Cocteau's *Beauty and the Beast* (one of the most beautiful films ever made) as well as Marcel Carne's epic *Children of Paradise* have been shown within the last year or so. TCM has also aired several Powell-Pressburger productions *(The Red Shoes*,*Black Narcissus, Peeping Tom, 49th Parallel, A Matter of Life and Death, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, I Know Where I'm Going)*, which I've deeply appreciated and enjoyed. Recently, British films of the early-mid 60's were on view: *Look Back in Anger, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, This Sporting Life, Room at the Top, Alfie.* What a treat!

I would personally love to see a month devoted to international cinema - Italian films - Fellini, Rossellini, Antonioni, Pasolini and others. And the French cinema - including The New Wave - Godard, Chabrol, Truffaut, Rohmer. And so much more - the Japanese classics, The Apu Trilogy...a sampling of the greatest films of from around the world.

TCM has done a wonderful job of showcasing the best of American classics and I would love to see the inclusion of film classics from around the world.

Message was edited by: theladyeve

> {quote:title=theladyeve wrote:}{quote}

> I would personally love to see a month devoted to international cinema - Italian films - Fellini, Rossellini, Antonioni, Pasolini and others. And the French cinema - including The New Wave - Godard, Chabrol, Truffaut, Rohmer. And so much more - the Japanese classics, The Apu Trilogy...a sampling of the greatest films of from around the world.

>

I'm definitely there with you, ladyeve, although I'm afraid those of us who enjoy whatever foreign-language films TCM can program may be somewhat of a minority among all TCM viewers, but all things considered, TCM has done a pretty good job, as with the examples you just mentioned.

I've got no complaints with TCM at all. Overall, the channel is like breathing pure oxygen for me. Interesting to me is that after *Children of Paradise* was aired not so long ago, some of the online community here had seen it for the first time and loved it, raved about it. This makes me suspect that there could be a future for showcasing some of the ultra-classic international films... of course, right now I'm watching one of my favorite American films (by the British master), *Shadow of a Doubt* - and am as content as I can be...