Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mildredpiercefan

Movies about Stress?

Hi. I was wondering what are some good movies that the of the movie is Stress and Illness. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Any help is appreciated? thanks.

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider stress and illness. Stress manifests itself in many forms and can cause illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke. Maybe you'd like to clarify.

However, off the top of my head, High Anxiety deals with stress. I could stretch and say so does the Snake Pit which takes it a little further and into mental illness. And then there's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest , and Leave Her to Heaven , The Dream Team.

If you meant stress and illness as two separate entities, for illness alone there's Terms of Endearment, Brian's Song, Dark Victory. The stories of Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth, and a million other illness movies.

See where this can go? I think were you to be more specific, I, for one, would get a better idea of what you're looking for.

If I'm totally off base, just ignore me. :-)

Hmm. Yes. How should this be manifested? You could pick almost any Jack Lemmon movie, such as; Dad, The Prisoner of Second Ave., The Out of Towners, The China Syndrome, etc.

Stress causing an illness - Illness causing stress?

I was just going to add that. You're reading my mind :D

And another one, with what I'll call positive stress, is Airport. Everyone is having a stressful day; some more than others (Van Heflin, Maureen Stapleton); some as just another day (Burt Lancaster, Jean Seberg, George Kennedy); and one is enjoying herself (Helen Hayes).

There's a good balance of positive and negative stress.

If I can read your mind, it's only the part where movies are stored, so your secrets are safe. ;-)

Airport ! I think you found the definitive movie for stress. I was stressed just watching it. lol

Trying to recall older classics is tough. There are a lot of movies with stressed people but the tough times and conditions were smoothed over with music or humor. I believe the really stressed out material began showing itself in the 1950's with social problems, the cold war and racism. Their origins or how they're dealt with.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, Blackboard Jungle, A Patch of Blue..

Every movie popping into my head is a TV Movie. A good example being Mercy or Murder, a 1987 TV Movie starring a classic actor (and one of my top favorites) Robert Young. Oh, TV excels in this field. One of it's redeeming qualities.

> {quote:title=georgiegirl wrote:}{quote}

> If I can read your mind, it's only the part where movies are stored, so your secrets are safe. ;-)

>

> +Airport+ ! I think you found the definitive movie for stress. I was stressd just watching it. lol

Ha! You like reading short stories, do you? :P

We're going to wear ourselves out here before mildredpiercefan gets back :)

My Man Godfrey

What kind of stress do the upper class suffer?

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> What kind of stress do the upper class suffer?

Seeing Bernie Madoff's name attached to their financial papers. :-( lol

I guess any 'old' movie about the depression was a stress movie. You could also say Now Voyager was a stress movie. I think you're right, maybe we should wait for the original poster to clear this up before we keep listing movies we're not even sure fit the bill. lol

And, yes, I like short stories. Did I mention that somewhere, or did you read my mind? lol

Kid=the upper class have much stress to deal with! Pools need to be cleaned, kids have to get into the right schools, wardrobes must be haute, attending parties, and vacation planning....just to name a few. You are a cold person my friend. And I am just joking.

Billie Burke masterfully created stressed-out wealthy women.

A Place in the Sun-poor Monty

The Out-of Towners-as stated below, Mr. Lemmon made stress an artform

I Want to Live

Queen Christina

Grand Hotel

The Best Years of Our Lives

Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace and in North by Northwest

The High and the Mighty

Mrs. Miniver

12 Angry Men

Possession

The Agony and the Ecstasy

The Long Long Tailer

Your intriguing question caused a few films about the corrosive effect of stress to pop into my mind immediately, most of which are from several decades:

*The Conformist* (1970): A look at the stress caused in one man's life by the dichotomy between private and public life is revealed magnificently in Bertolucci's character study of Jean-Louis Trintignant's repressed cipher. He is trying to reconcile himself to a fascist reality in Mussolini's Italy just before his marriage, though his messy humanity upsets the apple cart. Brilliantly done, and a feast for the eye as well.

*Seconds* (1966): Rock Hudson learns the hard way in John Frankenheimer's adaptation of David Ely's novel and Lewis John Carlino's screenplay how trying to live out the ultimate American dream of shedding one's old self in favor of the new can turn into a nightmare. Probably the best work of Hudson's career.

*Run Silent, Run Deep* (1958): a sort of modern take directed by Robert Wise on "Mutiny on the Bounty" (now those lads had stress!) from the POV of Clark Gable as the "Bligh-lite" submarine commander during WWII who is at odds with his subordinate Burt Lancaster. For those who think that Gable is not a good actor, this well rendered character study should be seen.

*Patterns* (1956): Van Heflin plays a guy faced with a series of impossible choices on the corporate ladder. Excellent script by Rod Serling (the film was originally produced as a tv drama) and good acting from all, particularly Ed Begley, Sr.

*Jeopardy* (1953): An outlandish amount of stress is on display as Barbara Stanwyck plays a wife trying to save her trapped husband (Barry Sullivan) before the tide comes in. Unfortunately, she needs to appease escaped con Ralph Meeker in order to save the spouse. A very well done story directed by the underrated John Sturges.

*Cause for Alarm* (1951): Another wife under pressure (Loretta Young) trying to save her husband (a certifiable Barry Sullivan again--this time with a bum ticker) and herself from his rampant paranoia. The contrast between the normally composed Young, her seemingly idyllic fifties neighborhood, and the situation of mounting tension is nicely done. All because of a letter she inadvertently mailed!!

*Night Into Morning* (1951): Ray Milland as a college professor who tries to cope with the loss of his family, (and avoids a really pat ending, though a beautifully acted tale by Milland).

*Skyscraper Souls* (1932) : Faith Baldwin's tale of a builder/speculator (Warren William) and his mistress (Veree Teasdale) in the Manhattan real estate market during the Depression. Not a marketplace for the faint of heart, though this guy is much more likable than the real life present day Donald Trumps.

*Five Star Final* (1931): A powerful, still apt story of the effect of yellow journalism and publicity on one family with a heartbreaking amount of stress on all concerned. You'll never quite forget Edward G. Robinson's regret, Marian Marsh's righteous anger nor H.B. Warner's sorrow in this film. A brilliant story, very well directed by a young Mervyn LeRoy.

*You'll never quite forget Edward G. Robinson's regret, Marian Marsh's righteous anger nor H.B. Warner's sorrow in this film. A brilliant story, very well directed by a young Mervyn LeRoy.*

Hey Moira,

Great list and great descriptions all around.

Regarding *Five Star Final*, the other thing I always remember is Aline McMahon's compassionate secretary who has a smart mouth and isn't afraid to say so.

Some very good choices moira. Billy Burke sums it up. I get stressed hearing her say "Good morning."

How about the Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier? Or Command Decision with Clark Gable?

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> How about the Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier? Or Command Decision with Clark Gable?

Yes. Command Decision - Excellent pick. Don't forget Twelve O'Clock High where Gregory Peck drives himself into a near coma state. I'd like to see those two back to back with, maybe, The Dam Busters added for relief.

Moira....I forgot about Jeopardy. Great flick and well described by you. I've only seen it once...had no idea what it was about...and am grateful because the experience blew my mind.

3:10 to Yuma (sorry if already mentioned)

The Children's Hour

Well a few I can think of are:

The Picture of Dorian Gray- trying to keep a secret and then killing those that find out and ultimate suicide.

Wuthering Heights- Trying to reconcile between real love and a life of ease.

Possessed- Crawford drives herself into a mental stupor for same reason as above.

A Wonderful Life- If George Bailey wasn't stressed out I don't know who was.

Dial M For Murder- You'll just have to see this one.

I'm suprised that so many people responded. 5 seconds after writing this post, I thought it looked stupid. Thank god no one has remarked on my stupid post. Anyway, to clarify what I mean, I want a movie has deals with both stress and the illness brought about by the stress. So perhaps a main character or many important characters are suffering from any sort of stress and the physical and/or mental toll from the stress from which they suffer. I own Leave Her to Heaven and I suppose that Gene Tierney suffers from stress when pregnant. Do you think Cornell Wilde or Jeanne Crain suffer from stress too? I suppose that Now Voyager deals with stress in the beginning. Is there a movie that follows stress the whole duration?

> {quote:title=mildredpiercefan wrote:}{quote}

> I want a movie (that) deals with both stress and the illness brought about by the stress. So perhaps a main character or many important characters are suffering from any sort of stress and the physical and/or mental toll from the stress from which they suffer.

Some examples of stress in war with mental and physical consequences:

*All Quiet on the Western Front* (1930): Lewis Milestone's still powerful adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque's novel about the impact of war on Paul B?umer, a German schoolboy (Lew Ayres) encouraged by jingoism to go into the army in WWI. The overall effects of the war on his spirit and body are dramatized throughout the film, though his alienation and changed personality are most dramatically revealed when he returns home for a visit. You can see the entire film [here|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbArOFsXs6I&feature=PlayList&p=D7F5FD031F2F2CA7&index=0&playnext=1] .

*Journey's End* (1930): James Whale's adaptation of the stage play by R.C. Sherriff's about the toll of trench warfare on a small group of soldiers, particularly has renewed timeliness thanks to history and the still vividly honest work by Colin Clive, as Stanhope.

*The Eagle and the Hawk* (1933): directed by Mitchell Leisen this film follows the effect of being an ace pilot on Fredric March's personality in one of that actors best and least known roles. Strongly anti-war, reflecting the revulsion of the public following WWI.

*The Dawn Patrol* (1938): Directed by Edmund Goulding, this aviation drama features Basil Rathbone, Errol Flynn & David Niven in a story about the toll of stress caused by their participation in the WWI air war. Rathbone begins as the commander, whose personality and position is under constant pressure from the high command and his resentful men as he orders others to their death. This situation causes the fliers to drink to forget the constant threat of death that destroys values, friendships and lives.

*The Fallen Sparrow* (1943): Richard Wallace directed the story of a seriously damaged veteran (John Garfield, in one of his best performances) of the Spanish Civil War whose return to America upsets his fragile equilibrium. Not a war film per se, but beautifully done.

*The Deer Hunter* (1978): director Michael Cimino's powerful, (if occasionally inaccurate historically) account of the impact of Vietnam on the lives of some simple men, bound by their friendship and destroyed physically and psychologically by their experiences.

Non-War Stress Illnesses:

*Night Unto Night* (1949): Don Siegel directed this interesting look at the withdrawal of an individual with an untreatable form of epilepsy (played by Ronald Reagan) to an isolated spot in Florida and his efforts to cope with the impact of life on his despair and his renewal. Better than expected entry seen on TCM within the last month and scheduled periodically.

*The Prince of Tides* (1991): Streisand's well directed adaptation of Pat Conroy's novel exploring the long term emotional and physical effect of childhood events on the lives of two siblings (Melinda Dillon and Nick Nolte). The only problem with this movie? Streisand cast herself but forgot to restrain her performance as the director.

I would also recommend my previously mentioned *Night Into Morning* (1951) as fighting your criteria for a non-war story about the spiritual and physical impact of a tragic event on one man.

I hope that this helps. I would agree that Gene Tierney's character is undone by the mental stress of trying to appear normal despite her warped personality, which becomes more acute after her marriage and pregnancy in *Leave Her to Heaven*.

> {quote:title=mildredpiercefan wrote:}{quote}

> Anyway, to clarify what I mean, I want a movie has deals with both stress and the illness brought about by the stress. So perhaps a main character or many important characters are suffering from any sort of stress and the physical and/or mental toll from the stress from which they suffer.

Charles Boyer's torment of Ingrid Bergman in Gaslight .. Oh! How about The Spiral Staircase ?

Most of the replies have movies that has violence and of course that will cause stress, lol.

To coin a line from *Unforgiven* - "Having someone shooting at you will rattle most folks" - Gene Hackman.

One of the recent movies is "Armageddon" at the very beginning Billy Bob Thornton was telling one of the astronauts to calm down, his heart rate was racing. I think thats one of the best examples of medical stress in the movies.

The other movie is "U-571" in which the crew is being depth charged - its a wonder that no one has succumbed by heartattacks during WWII if not being destroyed.

One of my old favorite stress movies that most of us can relate to is "Mr Blandings Build His Dream House". Cary Grant near the end of the movie, stating what the average "Joe" has to go through just to own a home. Plus he had the unbearable stress he had running an advertising company. Isn't this the type of stress that cause us heartattacks in *todays* society?

I didn't think your post was stupid. :-)

There's a movie call The Men . It deals with the stress of overcoming war injuries, mainly being crippled.

http://www.leninimports.com/the_men.html

Possibly this one too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diary_of_a_Mad_Housewife

And there's was a made-for-TV movie called The Cracker Factory .

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cracker-Factory/dp/B000BRO260

Somewhere along the line stress catches up to all of us. It discriminations no one, and affects people from all walks of life in lots of ways. No one is spared, it's just an inescapeable fact of life.

Here are a couple of movies that come to my mind: *Sorry, Wrong Number* and *They Shoot Horses, Don't They?*