Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Monsters vs. Aliens" (3-D)

route66

Is anyone planning on watching this new 3-D movie that just came out? It's supposed to be all about paying homage to the great sci-fi movies of the 50s. The reviews have been pretty good, especially for a DreamWorks movie.

Yes, I think it's largely a spoof. Like, there's a scientist character who started out human and became a giant cockroach. I guess that could be sort of a spoof of "The Fly". ;)

As for Stephen Colbert, he's supposed to be one of the funniest characters (he plays the U.S. president).

> I am very happy to say Number 1 at the box office this past weekend

I'm happy about that, as well. I love it when some new movie pays homage to the old classics and/or B-movies in such an endearingly loving way, and happens to also deliver for modern audiences. "Monsters vs. Aliens" is one such movie, which I enjoyed watching very very much.

The Stephen Colbert character (the clueless U.S. president) was particularly bittersweet for reasons that might best go unsaid. All the other characters are very endearing, especially the big one that pays homage to Japanese B-movies. ;)

This movie lacked the magic Pixar touch- it was produced by Dream Works. Yes fans of classic sci-fi monster movies will love the in-jokes ( I specially loved the giant syringe gag) But the film seems to loose steam. My favorite monster was Insectosaurus a Mothra like giant bug.

I'm not going to say that *Monsters vs. Aliens* is as good as the average Pixar movie, but I do believe DreamWorks has been getting much better in recent months. *Kung Fu Panda* was much better than I expected.

At any rate, Insectosaurus was definitely cute. ;)

Archived