Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
emprof

Movie Title Needed

Years ago I recall seeing a movie with well-known stars in which the lead actor was a struggling writer (I think). He was so down-and-out that *I recall him going to a cafeteria and getting free ketchup to eat there.* (He may have bought a cup of tea or coffee and may have been waiting for someone.) I recall the movie being in black and white. I thought Robert Mitchum was the lead actor and in this film but in looking over his films, nothing fit. I recall a woman trying to help the lead actor and that the ending was happy in that he received a letter saying his manuscript (?) was accepted.

Please help. The key to my finding the right title to this movie is the scene in the cafeteria. It's definitely not Holiday Affair and there is a good chance that the lead actor was not Robert Mitchum. I'm hoping someone else recalls seeing this movie and at least can provide further information.

I think that the lead character took the ketchup and poured it into hot water that he got in the cafeteria. I do recall him eating his newly created "soup". It also might be that he was hoping to get a job in some other state and later in his one-room apartment (?) he finally received a letter that said he got the job. I'm guessing this movie first appeared in the 1940's.

Using the Database for TCM might give you all the answers you need.

Simply click on DB Home near the top of the screen (first choice in the toolbar).

Then putting in some key words in the search area.

I put in "struggling writer" and received 39 results.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/search.jsp?methodName=allSearch&keyword=struggling+writer&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Could your answer be "Lucky Me" ???

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=15882

Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice, but in looking at the 39 movies with "struggling writer," nothing fit. The movie was a drama, so it may be the lead actor was not a writer, but I'm not sure what he was. It's that scene in the cafeteria (with his making and eating the ketchup soup) that stands out in my mind.

Come Live With Me: James Stewart and Hedy Lamar

Illegal immigrant and showgirl Johnny Jones (Lamar) is due to be deported from the USA, her only hope is to get married, but her rich publisher boyfriend Barton Kendrick (Ian Hunter) is already married! She meets down-on-his-luck author, Bill Smith (Stewart), and proposes a marriage of convenience in order to remain in the country. Kendrick (through Jones) offers pay for Smith's room and expenses (Smith will only accept payment to the penny and nothing more) so he can have the freedom to write. Smith write about his arrangement in a story and sends it to publisher Kendrick (not knowing he's money behind Jones. Kendericks wife (Verree Teasdale) gets hold of the manuscript first and loves it. The fun and games begin as lives and lies are juggled.

Gosh, thanks so much. Both of these movies sound like they could be the one I saw! Now I'll just have to try to see both.

In "Come Live with Me" I forgot to mention the way Stewart and Lamarr meet. Stewart is in diner waiting for a stool to open up to do the last dime/hot water ketchup thing. Lamarr is there too (I can't remember why - fleeing a nice guy immigration agent?). The two get into the tussle over a newly open stool at the counter. Stewart placed his dime on the counter as they are arguing and the waiter takes it thinking it's a tip from the guy who just left the stool. This illustrates to Lamarr that this guy is down and out thus setting up the arrangement.