Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tcmprogrammer, thank you so much. Its unfortunate about THE DESERT SONG. Re: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN its owned by Columbia Pictures and they are prepping it for a DVD release under its original British title A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH.

I would also like to thank you, tcmprogrammer - you're a breath of fresh air on the boards.

I'm very happy to hear that you'll be negotiating for more early 30's Paramount titles, as I'm one of those people who would LOVE to see more of them.

I'd also like to know if TCM has any plans to show more early musicals, particularly those made between 1929 and 1935. Some titles that I'd love to see are:

"Rio Rita" from RKO in 1929.

"The Singing Fool" and "Mammy" - both early Al Jolson.

"The Gold Diggers of Broadway" - first in the series.

"Roman Scandals" - from Goldwyn starring Eddie Cantor.

"Madam Satan" - supposed to be fascinating.

"Folies Bergere" - starring Chevalier and Ann Sothern.

"The Love Parade" - another early Chevalier.

Those are just a few suggestions, but any early musicals from the pre-code era would be great. I for one am a big fan of pre-code films, and I loved the documentary and festival that you did a few months back.

I was also wondering if you plan to showcase Norma Shearer sometime in the future. I would love to see her as star of the month, and see more of her silent films.

Sorry for the long message, but I feel so privileged that you are here taking an interest in what we have to say. Thank you again for your time.

moviejoe, re Norma Shearer, did you catch the homage to her in May? It was about her Adrian dresses that I was going on and on ad nauseum in another thread. What a gorgeous woman. Please tell me you caught the incredible dialogue between Basil Rathbone and Norma in 'Last of Mrs. Cheyney', or her delightful chemistry with Robert Montgomery in 'Private Lives' and 'Strangers May Kiss'? Re another thread, I imagine these were 'B' movies, but they were wonderful, simply wonderful. Thank you TCM.

I agree on tcmprogrammer. Not to go on about it, but anyone who doesn't believe what a crackerjack employee of TCM he (she?) is should have been a poster on the old A&E boards, or wander over to (careful if you do) Television Without Pity.

moviejoe - most of the films you're asking about are in our library and do play occasionally; "Madame Satan" played in April, and the Jolsons show up here and there (we can try to put them in sometime in an upcoming schedule)

"Rio Rita" hasn't played in a while (since 2000), but it's going to play in a musicals festival we're doing in October

the others can be put on the list as requests for us to acquire at some point

Shearer is great - we don't have much of her coming up; we should probably do a little more

Thank you very much for answering me...tcmprogrammer...I know you showed once "Design for Living" but I MISSED it!!!!....As for "Temple Drake"...any version, even if it's not decent, will be welcomed by we-lovers-of-pre-codes....this one must be one of the most sought-after pre-codes!!! As for Peter Ibbetson, it's a pity!!! AMC showed it ten years ago??? when they were good!! Now AMC is terrible...only once did I stand to watch a movie (Loren-Cary Grant's "Houseboat")...but it was terrible to have all of those commercials...I hated it!

TCM, stay as you are and never change!

TCM Programmer: A "musicals festival" in October? Fantastic! But, please, may I ask that you don't merely repeat all the ones we've already seen so many times? I would be extremely interested in seeing some Mario Lanza musicals, for example, in particular "That Midnight Kiss" and "The Great Caruso". Please? :)ML

tcm programmer, thank you for sharing info with us.

some films long overlooked tcm might acquire:

THAT KIND OF WOMAN (1959) -- remake of THE SHOPWORN ANGEL. This remake has tab hunter and sophia loren, and i last saw it on AMC more than ten years ago.

THIS HAPPY FEELING (1959) -- intergenerational romantic comedy with debbie reynolds and early blake edwards film. the other debbie favs are played often but this gem seems to have been lost.

NOTORIOUS LANDLADY (1962) -- made an appearance on AMC, with kim novak and jack lemmon in a mystery/slapstick comedy (unusual genre)

Thank you tcmprogrammer for replying to my questions. I can't believe I missed "Madame Satan!" - I have to pay more attention to the schedule!

I'm VERY happy to hear about the musicals festival in October - sounds great.

I'm also happy to see that you folks are doing the "Summer Under the Stars" festival again. Last year's was great, and was well spoken of here on the boards. And this year's looks like it's going to be just as good. I only wish Norma Shearer was in the lineup! But that's ok, I'm glad to hear that you'll consider putting her into the schedule more. Please consider some of her rarely seen silents. Perhaps schedule a night for her? I'm sure Robert Osborne has some interesting stories to share about her extraordinary life and career.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

I've been out for a couple of days. Not sure my answers please everyone, but here's what I have for you:

a2vitaphonefan - I don't think we have the restored reels of "Gold Diggers of Broadway," but I will check. To tell you the truth, I've never seen it - how is it?

classicfan - I'm afraid the festival will be a lot of the musicals you've already seen; we definitely are trying to highlight the very best/most well-known - there will be a few that are more obscure (I will note your request for Lanza, but can't promise)

pirishelli - thank you for the requests; we have so many requests, and we do take note of them and can sometimes acquire and play those films - not as often as people would like, I'm afraid (it's mostly a matter of money and/or rights), but we appreciate hearing what people want to see

moviejoe - I'm very glad you like Summer Under the Stars; I really like the idea myself and am proud of it for the network

tcmprogrammer, though I'm still a little skeptical, thank you so much for your participation here. Betcha didn't think that answer a couple of "network" questions would lead to so many direct pleas for specific films to be shown. Thanks for your continued participation though.

I can tell you, and anyone else reading this, that I have had great success with the "suggest a movie" link (it really does work!) having had several films I've requested added to the lineup within 3 months (the window you use for publishing the schedule). If any of you are not using it, you should.

However, ML, myself (and others?) have had NO SUCCESS getting the TCM Newsletter per the link at the top of this page. I've put my e-mail address (HTML & text) in a number of times without success. In fact, the only reason I know it exists at all is that others who contribute here have said it does.

Thanks again for your (continued?) responses!

skeptical that I'm a real TCM employee? it's true, I promise

I will try to keep replying when I have the time; I do travel some for work, so there may be stretches where I can't do it

but, believe it or not, we do value our audience, and it's nice to have a little communication - to the extent I can answer questions (and have the time), I'm happy to do it

I'm not sure what's going on with the newsletter - I will pass it along to the web staff

TCM Programmer...thanks for getting back about my request for the two Mario Lanza movies I requested. If there is a problem concerning whether you have the rights and can't show them, please let me know or I will continue to badger you about those movies. I do know that at least one of them is an MGM movie, so there shouldn't be any problems getting it. Right? ;)

And, yes, I'm another who is receiving TCM's Schedule in my e-mail, but although I asked for it, the Newsletter has never reached me! When I try again now to get subscribed to it, I get a message that says I'm "already registered", so it won't allow me to try again to get the TCM Newsletter. Please pass this information along to the correct people, too..it might help them. I keep thinking that there must be an "old fashioned" way that they can get the Newsletter to those of us that getting it through the registration process didn't work for. Thanks much! ML

From what I understand ML, all of Mario Lanza's movies are from MGM sudios. He was in a few of them with Kathryn Grayson who was under contract to MGM.

I also thought that TCM had all of MGM films in their archives?

Mongo

Yes "That Midnight Kiss" and "The Toast of New Orleans", both from 1949, are MGM's and his only colaborations with Grayson...she didn't work with him again, as far as I've read. Both films are highly enjoyable. I love Grayson. Did you like her in "Two Sisters from Boston" with June Allyson? Delightful.

Then "The Great Caruso", also MGM, then "Because You're Mine" with Doretta Morrow? ..I remember that one from childhood....then his voice is featured in MGM's 1954, "The Student Prince" with Edmund Purdom (in a role originally intended for Lanza) and Ann Blyth, ....Then MGM, apparently sent him to Italy to film a couple of films...I remember MGM's "The Seven Hills of Rome" with an italian Marisa Allasio (Long haired?) and Eva or Zsa Zsa Gabor....Ooppps he also made for Warners? "Serenade" with Joan Fontaine and Sara (Sarita) Montiel in 1956...

Almost all of them, except "Serenade", of which I've only seen photos in books, I saw them as a kid or teenager.

Both 7 HILLS and FOR THE FIRST TIME were released by MGM. By that time Lanza was no longer under contract to the studio but coincidently MGM did release both films. What I heard was that Lanza was a very tempermental and ego-driven person. He really gave poor Doretta Morrow a hard time. I heard some of the same from Grayson. But in the end its his talent that shines.

we're trying to figure out the issue with the newsletters

as for Lanza, it's not that we don't have them, just whether they're going to fit into the festival we're doing; if they don't, we should be able to do a different day devoted to Lanza at some point (maybe November)

TCM Programmer: Good enough. If you can't fit these wonderful musicals into your Musical's Festival, but will give us a Mario Lanza Day later (November...may I hold you to this? ;) ), I'll be a happy camper!

At Christmas, we often see a "Christmas short" that includes Mario Lanza singing "Ave Maria" from "The Great Caruso", and I haven't seen this movie since it was released and would love to see it again. "That Midnight Kiss" was his first movie with MGM, and not only had some top-notch singing, but also a good cast, including Ethel Barrymore, and was a likable story.

Thanks much! ML

TCMProgrammer,

The musicals festival for October sounds terrific! If it is at all possible, it would be great if some of the musicals were shown with their outtakes numbers. TCM had a month devoted to MGM musical outakes a few years ago, but since TCM was not offered by my cable provider at that time I missed it. And although some of the outtakes shown I have on DVD or laser disc, there are others which to the best of my knowledge, have only appeared on TCM, such as the Lena Horne's 2 deleted numbers from DUCHESS OF IDAHO. Thanks!

Hopefully, when the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT DVD's are released we will see more of these outtakes from the glorious MGM musicals. Unfortunately, I read much footage was lost in an MGM fire. I personally would like to see the deleted musicals numbers from Mamoulian's neglected SUMMER HOLIDAY. This musical is somewhat like a B'way show. RHINO recently release a CD of the soundtrack which includes all the deleted numbers.

tcmprogrammer - once again, thank you for your continued participation, we all really appreciate it.

There's another fairly important topic that I'd like to share with you, and hopefully get your input on. Many of us here on the boards have discussed the stars that are still living who we'd like to see featured on TCM. You have done so many wonderful "Private Screenings" and "Word of Mouth" segments, and we've mentioned how we'd like to see more of them with some of the other stars who are thankfully still with us. Some of the names that came up were Olivia deHavilland, Joan Fontaine, Elizabeth Taylor, Marlon Brando, Fay Wray, Anita Page, Bruce Bennett, Tony Martin, Cyd Charisse, Ann Blyth, Jennifer Jones, Jackie Cooper, Doris Day, etc. Personally I'm looking forward to the "Private Screenings" with Patricia Neal, but I'd like to know if any of the other stars that I mentioned have been considered or asked. Perhaps you don't want to give out this information, since it is somewhat personal to TCM, but any information that you could give us would be great. I for one would love to see a "Private Screenings" with Joan Fontaine. She's a true Hollywood legend who's been out of the spotlight for so long - and if TCM doesn't showcase her, who else will?

Thanks again - Joe

Richard - I'm pretty sure we will be able to show some of the outtakes. There are some legal restrictions on many of them (many, for example, have to be shown directly adjacent to the movie, which shouldn't be a problem for us). Our plan is to show whatever we can.

Joe - those are great suggestions. We have considered most of them and approached many of those stars. In each case the reasons are different and it's probably best I don't go into too many details. Some want to stay out of the spotlight, some have health reasons, some have personal reasons.

There might be one or two people on your list that haven't been considered and I will pass them along to our production department.

Thank you.