Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite Godzilla film of all time?????

I have been a fan of the big G for many years now,and I hope one day TCM will show their films in widescreen,uncut,and in their original forms,subtitled in English!!!In the meantime,I have created this thread for you fans out there!!!I would like to hear what you're favorite Godzilla film is!Mine is hands down,1968's DESTROY ALL MONSTERS!!!!!!This cult classic featured a number of Toho monsters including Gorosaurus and Manda in a true monster mash!!!!I love this film,and I hope they'll one day release a DVD with extras and behind the scenes making(unlike the other DVDs that was released)!!!So anyways,let's hear from the G-fans out there!!!!!!!!!!!

footphantom72

Yeah, "Destroy All Monsters" is the smorgasbord of Godzilla movies. It's like a Toho family reunion. Plus, it takes place all over the world, so you get to see other landmarks than just Tokyo get fried. I also like "Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster". It has that really silly dance contest and, come on - a GIANT CRAB? Running out of ideas, guys? I recently saw "Son of Godzilla" (on TCM, of all places), but didn't think much of it. The cutsey little guy sort of diluted the whole menace-to-society thing that makes Godzilla so special. There was a short period where they tried to transition The Big Guy into mankind's friend, and I didn't like those ones nearly as much. There was one especially where they made him buddies with some little kid that really crossed the line. (I forget the name of it.) The Sc-Fi Channel used to show these sometimes (with commercials of course, but I grew up watching EVERYTHING with commerials, before cable.), but I haven't seen any sign of them lately. You're right. We need Godzilla!

I am going to make a very unpopular statement:

I really liked the "Gojira" film made my those guys that did Indecent Day, er, Independence Day.

Now, I know it was not really "Gojira" but it was a cool creature.

You know, the original Gojira, the one with the Perry Mason scenes added in the US... Do they ever explain how the creature actually works, or was it, back then they really did not know a whole lot about the effects of radiation, and they thought Giant Creatures with special powers might be floating about in the seas near Hiroshima? Giant Mutants and bugs?

Of all the Gojira films, there was the one... I forget the actual name, or translation of the Japanese name... Something about "All Out Attack" and it had all the Japanese monsters, Gojia, Rodan, etc..

I've only seen it about twice, and I think TCM shows it occasianally... Thats my favourite one.

Didn't mind the monster, It was Matthew Broderick I couldn't come to terms with. Plus, it made me rethink ever setting foot inside Madison Square Garden if I had to sit where those slimy things had been.

I agree 100% GG!!! Loved the original, with the hokey tacked on Raymond Burr stuff and all! Hey I loved Raymond Burr too!

I do have some fondness for some of the 60's films (though sadly I've never seen DESTROY ALL MONSTERS!!!). Especially GODZILLA VS. THE THING, but I agree, nothing is better than the first one!

I would say worse is better because I hate Godzilla movies.....but the real real bad ones are soo bad you can laugh at them. Like the one with the flying turtle with flames coming out of it.......or Godzilla vs The Smog Monster........Godzilla vs Gihidra the 3 headed monter had just about every monster from these movies in it fighting as the towns people rooted for their favorite monsters. The movies were so cheap with peope in these costumes and Godzila going into Kung Fu moves. I liked them bouncing bolders off each other. All the kids in the theatre laughed and for good reason. These weren't even good enough for 8 year olds not to laugh at.

I've seen Raymond Burr in much better. Perry Mason and Ironside. The new Godzilla was just a variation of Jurrasic Park. .......When it comes to Godzilla, you can't beat the worst of the worst from the 1960s and early 1970s. Give me that stupid flying turtle anyday. Hot Soup coming up.

Does anybody remember Gorgo. I thought that had a good story because they had only caught the baby and mommy was alot bigger and pretty mad. A mom defending her kid, great story line.

What was the other like this, 100 thousand mile from earth....The little creature that keeps growing and growing.

The blob is good with Steve McQueen....the remake in the 70s is just weird and the actors in it have me rooting for the blob.

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

My vote definitely goes to the 1954 original Japanese version of Gojira. The photography and maximum effectiveness of the models is terrific. The moral quagmire in which Dr. Serizawa finds himself is played very realistic. And there is some sardonic wit as well - "I survived Nagasaki and now THIS!?"

Given all that, probably my favorite Toho film is RODAN. Even the American adaptation is superb - mainly because they did not add additional footage (beyond the atomic prologue) and the voice work by Keye Luke and Paul Frees is excellent.

Rodan is my second favorite of the Japanese monster flicks. It/he/she scared me more than Godzilla, but it was just as magificent and wonderous a beast. I was introduced to it/him/her the same year as Godzilla and I have a fondness for both.

The original Mothra was okay, but it did not have the same affect on me as Godzilla and Rodan. I was older and saw that one right out of the can at a Saturday matinee for the grand price of 35 cents. :-)

Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, with King Kong vs. Godzilla a close second. Mothra is also a strong favorite. I like both versions of the original Gojira, and I've heard that Raymond Burr was very pleased to have been involved with breaking the big dragon into the US. But I would agree with the earlier poster in that he was seen to better advantage in almost anything else, except perhaps the dismal Gorilla at Large.

spadeneal