Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT & MONTE CRISTO

Guest dredagain

That's odd, it's not showing up yet on Amazon.com for pre-order.

Their release of The Yankee Clipper and other seafaring films is, however. That can be pre-ordered.

Any additional word on when or if TCM will air either or both films?

I had a note yesterday from Silas Lesnick at Flicker Alley.... he says July 14.

I also have a mute version of Yankee Clipper, which I got after Kevin Brownlow raved about it. The storm scenes are quite good and very realistic. But I might buy the new set from Flicker Alley anyway....

My copy of Yankee Clipper comes from the Critic's Choice video of years ago. It was from an old 1960's broadcast on tv with narration telling us what was happening in the scenes -- as if the audience were dummies and couldn't figure it out for themselves. ;)

I'm sure it will be far better from Flicker Alley! lol

However I vastly prefer The Volga Boatman with Elinor and William. I think it's romantic he was proposing to her in real life as they played out the execution scene before the firing squad. The stars were just as romantic in those days as the movies they played in.

Jill, Ed,

Have you seen this stuff? These are apparently not April fool's jokes? Why is Universal being such a Pain in the butt by denying people access to this material? What is their problem anyway??? I mean what is it to them? Much like those three recently restored Laura La Plante films, nobody can get hands on like Clarance Brown's BUTTERFLY (1924), and HER BIG NIGHT (1926). What is the use of just sitting on the stuff? Kino has released a few Universal Silents in the past with consent of the studio.

I've seen Paul Len's THE LAST WARNING, and it appears to be in good shape, with a vintage scoring track. That is one film that should be easier to get a hold of them some o the others are. Maybe Kino will eventually put out an edition?

Reported by Michael F. Blake

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am Post subject: A few nuggets found

I Just got off the phone with Kevin Brownlow and He confirmed that roughly 2 1/2 reels (approx. 25 minutes) of Maurice Tourneur's TREASURE ISLAND has been found, transferred to safety stock.

It came from a Czech film archive. There had been rumors of a print floating around for close to a year, but those in-the-know kept a lid on it. Guess they had to do a lot of horsetrading to get the nitrate print and then get it fixed up ($$$).

According to Kevin, there are titles (in Czech) which will eventually be translated to English. He says the overall quality is great, not too much wear & tear. the opening 3 minutes is choppy, missing frames, etc., which makes the action & actors jump around. There are 3 sequences. The first one is pretty jumpy, but you can follow, the second is on a ship (Kevin says it looks great, but I couldn't tell from what he said if it is a pirate ship with Long John Silver) and then the remainder is on the island.

The good news, for me anyway, is that a lot of the footage on the island sequence features Lon as Merry the pirate. There is a brief clip (in the jumpy part) of Lon as Pew, but Kevin says you don't get a great look at him & the makeup as one would wish, because of the jump cuts. He says there is a closeup of Lon, but it is too brief. Rats!

I guess UCLA was trying to get the safety print in time for an unveiling at their current festival of preservation, but timing wasn't in their favor. I will get to take a gander at a copy of the print in a few weeks. Kevin is already in talks with the Motion Picture Academy to have some sort of showing in the fall, as they also recovered & restored some behind-the-scene shots from NAPOLEON and some reels of an early William S. Hart western and a Lois Weber film thought to be missing.

Damfino

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:37 am Post subject: WAR AND PEACE (1924)

The Siegmund Lubin Film Archive in Betzwood, PA, has announced restoration work on the newly discovered early silent version of WAR AND PEACE, made in 1924. Long thought lost, the film's discovery came as a surprise to many archivists. "This film has actually been in our collection for decades," said one Lubin source, "but no one suspected its existence since all the reels were labeled incorrectly as a 'Swedish travelogue' sometime in the '50s, and only recently has anyone actually watched them."

The restoration has involved quite a bit of detective work for the intrepid Lubin archivists. WAR AND PEACE was originally made as a twenty-reel epic, to be shown over the course of two evenings. Though information is scanty, it is thought to be one of Irving Thalberg's last productions at Universal Pictures before his move to Metro Pictures; the director was the renowned Rupert Julian. Unfortunately, the only surviving version is a four-reel condensation of highlights made by Nordisk Film for the Swedish market, with intertitles in Swedish.

"We do have some stills that were sent to us by Gosfilmofond in Moscow," said one of the restoration crew, "so we hope to get our reconstructed version up to an hour's running-time." Reconstructing the titles, though, has proved the hardest challenge. "With all these cuts, a lot of material is missing, and nothing seems to join together. There appears to be an invasion of Russia, but it is hard to make sense of the titles. To make matters worse, the Swedish cutters changed characters' names and seem to have left out most of the war in favor of a love story, and scenic shots of snow," the restorers noted. However, they have been able to identify brief appearances by Norman Kerry as Napoleon, and Snitz Edwards as Tsar Alexander. Restoration continues thanks to a small grant from the Tolstoy Appreciation Society; but one of the restorers has succumbed to a deep archival depression. "What does it matter if we get it right? The world will little note nor long remember our work here, and this film will simply languish forgotten and unseen in our vaults until it silently perishes, like all the works of humanity."

Nonetheless, the discovery of this previously unknown classic has sent a ripple through the silent-film world, and many are wondering if a DVD release will be imminent. There are, however, no plans for release. Kevin Brownlow, completing his new documentary "Thalberg: Boy Genius", requested permission from rights-holder Universal Studios for use of a clip. "They demanded $600,000 per minute," the embittered producer declared; "so I can't use it." But film fans may be able to see it at next year's Stockholm Silent Film Festival, if all goes well. "We have requested from the Lubin Archive before," says Sven Svedig, "but they always seem to send the wrong films or mix up the reels, so we have learned to expect disappointment."

It's nice that 25 minutes of Treasure Island is apparently found but if it's not the full movie it will be of limited commercial value by itself. They can perhaps add it as a special or extra in a second Lon Chaney box set.

The world is going through a deep recession right now (and likely to get far worse as governments print more and more trillions of dollars and borrow from China) and funds for luxury things like film restorations are going to be hard to come by. The DVD market is over saturated with titles and people have limited funds for entertainment when their first priority is keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. So in some ways I can understand some reticence in spending money on old films, even if they are valued by a small portion of film fans like us. If you are in business to make a profit (and God help the business who isn't) you have to select your projects carefully with an eye to making money right now, not spending it.

Jill,

The U. S. Government doesn't understand business. Printing up all this extra currency isn't doing anyone any good. All it can accomplish is skyrocketing inflation! Just plain nuts! I'm convinced that a Shadow government runs the country anyway, and I'm not sure they want things to improve.

Were you prepared for the Corn-Ficker virus that was supposed to strike today? I picked up a bunch of stuff on my system, but I think I managed to weed it all, or at least the majority of it out. Probably was from this stupid new worm. Don't people have anything better to do but develop these crazy things?

Kino is releasing a new John Barrymore set soon. This will include THE BELOVED ROGUE, but I don't know if it will look better, or have different music than it did before? Doesn't say?

http://classicflix.blogspot.com/2009/03/sherlock-holmes-1922-john-barrymore.html

I heard on the news that if it was going to show up on your computer that it would be more likely to show up later in the day and that's exactly what happened. Around 5pm I got the Avast! siren warning pop up which said the computer had a virus and I think it must have been this one, although the one that invaded my system I think was called monkica or something like that. I deleted it and did a full system scan and another scan with Malwarebytes and it seems to be clean right now. But I am going to be vigilant anyway and do scans every day, maybe twice a day, for the next week or so.

I totally agree with you about the printing money garbage. Didn't they learn anything from the Weimar Republic? Those stupid politicians of both parties should be forced to watch Griffith's Isn't Life Wonderful (1924) to see what's coming to America because of their stupidity and trampling on our fine Constitution.

Narration? Gag!

Brownlow had written me a while back he had shown YANKEE CLIPPER while he was in Ireland and it got a rousing response. I found an old VHS copy but it's totally mute (and grainy). I'll order the Flicker Alley set....

What do you know about this Douris company and why doesn't it have a web site? Apparently it has a few projects "in the works."

Yes I found they are in Columbus... but no web site?

Bill at Kansas Silent Film Festival said he got HER SISTER FROM PARIS (Constance Talmadge) from them and that they were trying for a DVD but with no luck.

Ed,

Douris Corporation owns most of the surviving Talmadge Sisters films. Not sure how they got them or when? The only thing that I know they are working on right now is Constance Talmadge EAST IS WEST which was long believed lost. There could be other projects, but I don't know what they are?

Maybe they are working on HER NIGHT OF ROMANCE too? I don't know? These guys might have some Colleen Moore, and Corinne Griffith films stashed away? The Kino print of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD came from Douris.

I just started backing up my PC, haven't done so in long months. Will take several days to copy everything. UHG!!!!

I found a site at work today that talked about a Norma Talmadge festival; a few years ago.... they had several 20s features I thought were all lost. I can't remember what the site was.... grrrr.... but it was an impressive list of films. It included THE LADY (my copy won't run).... I'll try to find it again.... All the films (I remember) were supposedly part of the Donnell Collection at the New York City Public Library!

Constance's last several films supposedly all exist: VENUS, BREAKFAST AT SUNRISE, and VENUS OF VENICE.... I guess they were all flops; THE DUCHESS OF BUFFALO was her last hit.

Yes I've seen that link before, been awhile though.

People I've talked to say Norma and Constance don't market well. For some reason the same people claim Marion Davies doesn't sell well either! I dunno, sometimes I think they say dumb things like that because they really haven't tried and it takes too much time, energy, and money to get a film restored and done right with a proper score, new title cards when needed, etc. I don't think it would be old copyrights holding them back because I would imagine quite a few Norma, Connie and Marion early films would be PD, even some of their post 1922 films are probably PD because they weren't renewed in their 28th year.

It's too bad there isn't enough trust in these circles that they could take one rare film from one of these ladies and do a community project to get it to DVD, and any proceeds could go to charity or film restoration. For instance have a few fans divide up making new title cards if needed, have another fan group such as amateur musicians come up with a simple but effective score (or find a pianist who might do it cheap), find fans with a small DVD production group who could sell the restoration directly from a website instead of having to go to a middle man.

Ed,

All Very interesting, but it's just more rare stuff we will probably never get to see. How frustrating knowing all these survive, but are completely inaccessible! My obtaining the copy of KIKI was fortunate enough. I was just very lucky there.

I think you mentioned a feature with Constance THE LOVE EXPERT? I have a poster in here someplace for that film.

Jill,

How would they know if they market well or not? Same with Colleen Moore and Marion Davies, when nothing much official has ever been offered from anyone??? They can't market at all, if the films are not being seen. Like anything else it takes time to build an audience, but you can't build an audience with zero exposure! Really a silly statement by who ever made it.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> Jill, Ed,

>

> Have you seen this stuff? These are apparently not April fool's jokes? Why is Universal being such a Pain in the butt by denying people access to this material?

Um . . . Jeffrey . . . I hate to tell you this, but those WERE April Fool's jokes . . .

Well, I dunno . . . I don't see GLORIOUS BETSY on any of the posted TCM schedules. And the page on GLORIOUS BETSY in the TCM Database says it isn't currently scheduled. I usually keep a close eye on the TCM schedules -- it must have come and gone fairly quickly . . .

What? You mean you didn't hear about FLAMING YOUTH? (Okay, okay . . . I'll stop now . . .)

It's cons like that that make me glad I run a tight ship on my own message board. I have too much respect for the long term members of Golden Silents ever to pull a stunt like that. People care deeply about silents and old films who are posting on these boards and I think it's childish to start rumors like that with the intent to trip people up and get them excited over nothing.

I was suspicious from the get go about that guy on another board who claimed he knew someone with Four Devils reels. Everyone got all excited and the thread expanded for several pages with everyone being conned by this guy -- who chose an Adolph Hitler picture for his avatar. Then he conveniently disappeared and didn't come back. He was probably laughing at everyone at that board at the success of his lies. Thankfully I was wise enough to refrain from expanding the rumors at my own board.

Now I am very suspicious about any of these rumors. I feel that if something really important were to be found it would be announced openly by a studio who owned the picture.

I saw Glorious Betsy listed on the full page month schedule for May, or at least I did the other day. Also The White Sister.

Jeff.... what's even worse is that when I did a search of the library and the Donnell Media Collection, none of the Talmadge films were listed... So if the library has them they are vaulted and don't even appear in the catalogs... WHY?

Silas at Flicker Alley did not respond to my suggestion for a Marion Davies set.....

Coffeedan,

Well, I checked and GLORIOUS BETSY was there just two days ago on the official May schedule. I would not have posted anything without checking it out first. It had replaced OTHELLO, which was originally slated. So what gives? Are we going to see it later. or what is the deal? Why not in May?

This is absurd. Why would they put GLORIOUS BETSY on the schedule for about a week, and than remove it? I will try to contact TCM Programmer Charles Tabesh and find out what is going on?