Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT & MONTE CRISTO

Guest dredagain

I guess I could kinda say I saw it, but not really. Back in 2004 or 05 I bought a tape off eBay with an almost unwatchable print of Monte Cristo. It was from that seller (who shall be nameless) who used to sell total crap of rare old American films on blurry tapes with substituted foreign title cards (many from Russia) and missing opening credits more often than not. I stopped buying from him pretty quickly because I got rather disgusted with his quality and paying 40 bucks a clip for something I could barely see. I could never in good conscience sell films that looked like that to another living soul. I'd feel guilty and just couldn't do it.

From what I remember of it it looked like a good version although I much prefer Robert Donat in the later talkie. In fact that film is on tonight.

Ed,

Are you sure it wasn't SWEETHEARTS ON PARADE? That is the only Alice White Silent that I have ever seen. What is BROADWAY BABIES? I 'm pretty certain that I do not have that one as a Silent, Hybrid, or Talkie?

Yikes! Now, now you too. You sound like an old married couple, bickering back and forth like that. Shame, shame! You had been getting along so well too

Ed,

Unfortunately, I don't see were Renee Adoree is in MONTE CRISTO. I wish that she was. This would be the first film with her on official DVD. She did make at least one film with John Gilbert under his Fox contract. Probably now lost?

Ed,

I looked at the cast list on the TCM Movie Data-Base. No Renee Adoree is listed? I rarely visit IMDB. Hope she is in the movie. I won't complain. I'll ask on Nitrateville if anyone knows if Renee makes an appearance or not? Still wondering about HIS HOUR too and that one photo from a few weeks back that I posted?

Cast

(Cast overview, first billed only)

John Gilbert ... Edmond Dantes, Count of Monte Cristo

Estelle Taylor ... Mercedes, Countess de Morcerf

Robert McKim ... De Villefort, the king's attorney

William V. Mong ... Caderousse, the innkeeper

Virginia Brown Faire ... Haidee, an Arabian Princess

George Siegmann ... Luigi Vampa, ex-pirate

Spottiswoode Aitken ... Abb? Faria

Ralph Cloninger ... Fernand, Count de Morcert

Albert Prisco ... Baron Danglars

Al W. Filson ... Morrel, shipowner (as Al Filson)

Harry Lonsdale ... Dantes, Father of Edmond

Francis McDonald ... Benedetto

Jack Cosgrave ... Governor of Chateau d'If (as Jack Cosgrove)

Maude George ... Baroness Danglars

Ren?e Ador?e ... Eug?nie Danglars, her daughter

Ed,

Oh, oh! Could be that Corn-Ficker virus! I told you to stay alert for it! The name is kind of an insult to us Nebraskan's. We should sue!

Renee is way down the cast list, must have been one of her early film appearances? Along with Keaton's DAY DREAMS. I registered on IMDB clear back in 2003, but I don't know if I still have an account there or not? I doubt it.

Ed,

Just checked Sunrise Silents and it looks like Rich has added a couple new

titles. We have RUBBER TIRES already, but it appears to be a significantly

improved print. Also a Gertrude Olmsted feature.

http://sunrisesilents.com/SACR_des.html

http://sunrisesilents.com/RTBL_des.html

What's more, Rich has be working tirelessly on a "Super Secret Special Project" for the past few months? Wonder what it could be??? The print of SKINNERS DRESS SUIT that I bought a few months ago was very nice.

Jill,

Never really watched RUBBER TIRES so I can't comment on it. Do you have THE MICHIGAN KID? I haven't see it at all. What about THE SPIELER? or something like that? Both have Renee Adoree. Hard to believe that I don't have those, but I don't.

Did you like SKINNERS DRESS SUIT? I thought it was very funny. Sunrise Silents put out a good print, but the music was just OK at best.

RUBBER TIRES is a cute road comedy. My copy isn't great but oh well.The SWEET ADELINE film might be ok but I never heard of it.... what do you think? Actually Charles Ray is the star.

Message was edited by: drednm

Message was edited by: drednm

Don't think I have The Michigan Kid. Who's in it?

The Speiler was in terrible shape - tons of artifacts and scratches on practically every frame. Too much to do anything with. Drove my eyes crazy. That's what I do with a lot of my personal restorations - get rid of the worst of the artifacts in a print, like ugly splotches that show up on the actors' faces (those in particular I like to get rid of, especially in close ups). So anyone who gets my restorations won't be subjected to as many ugly artifacts because I painstakingly go through every single frame (250,000 frames is the typical size of a silent movie) and fix hundreds of the worst frames. Sort of like what Criterion did with The Third Man and other restorations of theirs where they fixed damaged frames, only my process is much more laborious because I can't afford the software they use.

I only have limited money to spend on DVDs so I make my purchases count by only getting what I am really interested in. If I've previously seen a halfway decent print of a film that I was bored by, and someone comes out with a better print of the same film, I won't usually spend the money because the film itself wasn't one I fell in love with.