Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie cars?

Capuchin

I just watched *How to Steal a Million* (love it. Too bad it's a Fox movie and unlikely to ever be on TCM.), and for the umpteenth time I've wondered about the car she drives.

Googling for it was useless -- far too many hits, and everything seems to revolve around the Jag.

This happens quite often -- I see a car or truck in a movie, can't quite place it by make or model, and can't find further info.

With the Internet being what it is, it seems to me that someone, somewhere, had far too much time on their hands and decided to compile a list of cars in movies.

Sadly, I can't find it.

Does anyone know of such a list/database?

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

>

>With the Internet being what it is, it seems to me that someone, somewhere, had far too much >time on their hands and decided to compile a list of cars in movies.

>

> Sadly, I can't find it.

>

> Does anyone know of such a list/database?

Hello, Capuchin.

Try this http://www.imcdb.org/ Just type your movie title in the upper right search window.

For the longest time, I was fascinated by the Japanese agent's white convertible roadster (counterpart to James Bond's Aston Martin) used in You Only Live Twice.

Then I found it here: 1966 Toyota 2000 GT Convertible

One commentor noted there were only 2 of these - built specifically for this movie.

A data base of movie cars would be nice. A few days ago TCM showed "Two-Lane Blacktop", and I was amazed at that movie, and had no idea that it existed. It was strange, like a cult classic. You could feel it as much as see it.

Someone mentioned "Vanishing Point" as a good car movie, but I haven't seen that one yet.

I hate silent movies, but many of them have interesting old time cars. I watch those when I know that they feature certain cars and motorcycles.

Another movie which is good for old cars, if you like 1950s sports cars, is "The Fast and Furious", 1955, which has a thin plot, but plenty of nice cars. It has action and even stunt driving. It's good stuff. Several other "Fast and Furious" movies with cars were made since then.

My favorite cars in movies is the black Trans Am in "Smokey and the Bandit" and K.I.T. in the original 1980's "Knight Rider".

James Bond can't seem to stay with one model so his is hard to choose from, LOL. His cars are equipped for today's traffic (if you know what I mean?)

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> Try this http://www.imcdb.org/ Just type your movie title in the upper right search window.

Thanks!!!!

That's just what I was looking for. Sadly, they don't have *How To Steal a Million* listed (maybe that's why it didn't turn up in my Google search), but I've bookmarked it as a valuable resource. I'm sure it'll answer a lot of future questions.

The movie car that I really want probably no longer exists -- it was in a science fiction movie from the 30s or 40s (I can't recall anything about the film except the car). It looked like an FC-150 cab on both ends, with a cargo/motor/?? bay in the middle.

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

>

>Sadly, they don't have *How To Steal a Million* listed (maybe that's why it didn't turn up in my Google search)

It's there. I checked it earlier and just now. Whole bunch of car pictures. Maybe you typed it in wrong. Here's a little red number from the movie:

384.jpg

Thank you, Kid_Dabb. I just looked up Mazda 626's and found _many_ photos of my beloved car! So many supporting roles. I guess it's just a good character actor. For fun, I found none for the Mazda Miata. Maybe they use the AKA name.

Hmm. That reminds me.. This is from The Pink Panther 1963 - I can't tell who's in the gorilla suit behind the wheel. This is one of the funniest parts of the movie where a man is trying to walk across the circle while all the costumed party guests whiz back and forth in various vehicles (or without - the zebra/horse?). Then he just gives up, returns to his chair and watches the show.

*This is a Autobianchi Bianchina Cabriolet*

722.jpg

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}

> >

> >Sadly, they don't have *How To Steal a Million* listed (maybe that's why it didn't turn up in my Google search)

>

> It's there. I checked it earlier and just now. Whole bunch of car pictures. Maybe you typed it in wrong. Here's a little red number from the movie:

Thanks again!!

I found out what I did 'wrong' -- I always put quote marks around a title so a search engine uses the whole phrase. The search on that site is a little weird because it returns no results for *"How to Steal a Million"* but hits it right for *How to Steal a Million*.

It is also a little weird that what I assume is the same car is identified differently in different pictures. Oh, well. ;)

Fan here! (jumping up and down) Over here! Hey! I haven't seen any of these cars in person but their appearance in Tucker: The Man And His Dream has got me hooked. The paint schemes used for the movie were great - I couldn't take my eyes off of them when they paraded around the courthouse. The story behind this creates a bit of irony in these times. What goes around, comes around. That's a nice shot you posted. Here's the other end:

1948_Tucker_Torpedo_rear.jpg

Aw shucks, moviefan1951 brought it up first with a nice blue(?) model. I just brought up the rear.. so to speak. Those led me to these:

*Auburn Speedster from Dick Tracy 1990* Looks like Madonna driving.

552.jpg

*1935 Auburn Speedster Supercharger from Desire 1936* Unidentified driver.

734.jpg

As an FYI, the Packard Club website has a listing of different movies with Packard Automobiles featured.

I often watch the backgrounds in early movies to see if I can identify the various makes of cars shown, or that the players are "riding" in. (Annoys my wife to no end when I suddenly shout "Holy Cow !!!! A 1930 Cord L-29 convertable sedan !!!!! I wonder where they shot that background to get something like that driving along in city traffic ?????? Personally, I think that both she, and the cat, have over-active startle reflexes.)

Archived