Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> *1952 Hudson Hornet Convertible [7B] in Z?rtliches Geheimnis (1956)*

Wonderful, thanks. The family car I grew up with was a 1948 Hudson Super Six two-door sedan, same basic body style as this as well as Jake's. And the car Miss Daisy got driven around in too, come to think of it. Anyway, that's why I'm always glad to spot one.

> *Highland Green 1968 Ford Mustang 390 CID Fastback - Steve McQueen - Bullitt (1968)*

Actually, the car that catches my eye in the Bullitt chase is the green Volkswagen bug that somehow manages to be ahead of them three times in the space of about 30 seconds. Now that's a fast car!

> {quote:title=tterrace wrote:}{quote}

> Actually, the car that catches my eye in the Bullitt chase is the green Volkswagen bug that somehow manages to be ahead of them three times in the space of about 30 seconds. Now that's a fast car!

Some of those little Beetley Bugs can really move. Don't let them fool you. I've seen some put in fierce quarter-mile runs at the track. Then again, they could be like that cartoon dog, the short, plodding, slow talking one, that always pops up wherever the bad guy runs to, no matter how fast he runs. Bullitt was a time when 30-40 percent of all the cars were VW's so what you thought you saw as the same Bug may have just been 1 or 2 of it's cousins helping out :)

Here's a couple I managed to catch at siesta

*1953 Volkswagen De Luxe Sedan [Typ 1] in Bullitt (1968)*

dvhi89.jpg

> Bullitt was a time when 30-40 percent of all the cars were VW's so what you thought you saw as the same Bug may have just been 1 or 2 of it's cousins helping out :)

Very true about the ubiquity of the Bug back then. In one shot in Dirty Harry photographed three years later on another San Francisco street, three go by in the background in about ten seconds. The one I was talking about in Bullitt, though, was obviously a shill, since it was always placed in the center of the action. One of those continuity things that in pre-home video days wasn't an issue.

This is one of the things I like about those two films, since I clearly remember San Francisco looking like that, populated by the cars you see in them. They're really like windows into that time, almost literally so in Blu-Ray.

Taking a break from cleaning the downstairs bathroom, I turned on TCM and the movie Glory, a mid-Fifties horse story with Margaret O'Brien, and there it was. A beautiful little white sports car, a two-seater with molded to the frame seats, kind of scalloped looking (sorry, I don't know how else to state it,) and three little fins above each tail light. Can't identify it!

I realize that this probably will be impossible to track down, but I'd love to know what it is.

I was out all day so I missed Glory (1956). I can't find any decent pics of it's cars and the tail lamp description you gave isn't familiar. Maybe someone else can spot.

> {quote:title=tterrace wrote:}{quote}

> In several episodes of The Adventures of Superman, George Reeves as Clark Kent drives a cool 1953 Nash-Healey sports car:

>

> ADVENTURES_OF_SUPERMAN_SEASON_2-696.jpg

h4. You know, the white sidewall tire making a comeback could be the next big thing. So much easier than creating a hybrid...

Thanks for the picture of the 38 Plymouth from High Sierra. Another favorite movie car of mine is the 1934 Buick ( although I am a MoPar fan) driven by Jane Greer and Robert Mitchum in The Big Steal. It took some time before I could correctly identify that car.

MoPar :) In the 60's my front door was 50 feet off the main drag street. Always Road Runners and Super Bees with hemis 'purring' and growling by. We could tell any car by the sound of it's exhaust at idle.

So far, the only shot of the Buick from The Big Steal I've found is a close-up of Mitchum and the windscreen with the top down. This will be temporary:

11rueeh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

*1963 Studebaker Avanti in Gattaca (1997)*

2nnkwg.jpg

*These are not from the movie - just here to give better views of vehicle*

vmpw01.jpg

4sy4nl.jpg

The Avanti engine was available in four versions named the R-1, R-2, R-3 and R-4. They were based upon a 232-cubic-inch V8 Studebaker engine that produced 120 hp (89 kW) when introduced in 1951. By 1963 the Avanti version of this engine, the R-1 289, produced 240 hp (179 kW). The optional R-2 version with its Paxton supercharger produced a rated 289 hp (216 kW), or one per each cubic inch of engine displacement.

To put the performance of Studebaker's supercharged 289 V8 in perspective, the Ford 289 V8, as used in the 1964-1/2 through 1967 Mustangs, produced 210 hp (157 kW) with a two-barrel carburetor, 220 hp (164 kW) with a four-barrel carburetor, and 271 hp (202 kW) in Ford's high-compression, solid-lifter, four-barrel "K-code" engine. Thus, Studebaker's "Jet Thrust" 289 V8s were significantly more powerful than any naturally aspirated 289 production engine offered by Ford through 1967 (in 1968, Ford began relying on the new 302-cubic-inch engine).

--------------------

This is a good movie. If you get a chance to see it, do so. The issues addressed are highly relevant in today's society.

*Gattaca* is a 1997 science fiction drama film written and directed by Andrew Niccol, starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman and Jude Law with supporting roles played by Loren Dean, Gore Vidal and Alan Arkin. The film was a 1997 nominee for the Academy Award for Best Art Direction ? Set Decoration.

The film presents a biopunk vision of a society driven by liberal eugenics. Children of the middle and upper classes are selected through preimplantation genetic diagnosis to ensure they possess the best hereditary traits of their parents. A genetic registry database uses biometrics to instantly identify and classify those so created as valids while those conceived by traditional means are derisively known as in-valids. While genetic discrimination is forbidden by law, in practice it is easy to profile one's genotype resulting in the Valids qualifying for professional employment while the In-Valids who are susceptible to disease are relegated to menial jobs. The movie draws on concerns over reproductive technologies which facilitate eugenics, and the possible consequences of such technological developments for society. It also explores the idea of destiny and the ways in which it can and does govern lives. Characters in *Gattaca* continually battle both with society and with themselves to find their place in the world and who they are destined to be according to their genes.

The title is based on the initial letters of the four DNA nitrogenous bases (adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine). During the credits the letters G, C, T, and A are all highlighted.

• 4 weeks later...

*Woodhill Wildfire - 1952*

2jdetts.jpg

Muckenthaler Motor Car Festival.

Considered one of the very first fiberglass production cars, the Woodhill Wildfire was built by the Woodhill Motor Company in Downey, California, from 1952 through about 1956. Former Dodge dealer B. R. "Woody" Woodhill designed the car, and the bodies were built for him by Glasspar to be fitted to a chassis of Woodhill's own design. Most production cars used the Willys Six, but the buyer could choose almost any other engine (the flathead Ford V-8 was a popular choice). About 285 Wildfires were sold as kits, although some 15 were factory assembled with a list price of $3263-$4500 depending on the engine and equipment selected

Kit car bodies were made by Glaspar Co. There are around 40 of these left today of about 300 produced. This type of car has three movies to its credit. Johnny Dark, Written on the Wind, and Knock on Wood.

• 2 weeks later...