Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
erzbet

THE DESERT SONG on TCM UK..but never on TCM USA Why?

I was curious to see what films were featured on TCM UK and found the March schedule..and was rocked out of my sox..for they had THE DESERT SONG with Gordon McCrae I'd dearly love to see this and so was wondering..are some films only available for viewing in certain countries? I've never seen THE DESERT SONG on tv in over 40 years of watching (and we had 3 old movie tv stations in SF that ran tons of classics back in the 60's and 70's plus a station in Sacramento that ran the MGM library). Can someone shed light on this situation? Thanks!

A great way to start would be to suggest this movie to be shown on TCM here!

Just go to the link and click on "Suggest this movie >>"

There's also a link near the bottom to have this classic put on DVD and I believe it has 176 votes so far.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=26588

It was on Cinemax a few years ago. I'm sure once the WB post-49 floodgates open it will appear on TCM. STARLIFT and APRIL IN PARIS are part of that library, so it looks like they're starting to creep in.

Thanks! I'll trot over there and request it. You never know what may happen!

Thanks for the info, RayFaiola. I don't have CINEMAX in my cable area but am glad to hear that there's the possibility that DESERT SONG may appear on TCM..sometime.

HOORAY_HOORAY I have been requesting this movie for the last 2 years.Do you think they will ever show Dennis Morgan's movie besides?

Getting TCM to schedule a movie you suggest is like winning the lottery...IT NEVER HAPPENS!!!

Message was edited by: ericb_13

Au contraire! Miracles do happen! I so wanted to see MAD ABOUT MEN (the sequel to MIRANDA with Glynnis Johns). I'd NEVER seen this on tv (in 40 years of viewing)..and lo and behold, a few months after suggesting it on SUGGEST A MOVIE, TCM ran it! (A lot of other fans wanted to see it too..so maybe TCM took pity on us).

So don't give up! NIL DESPERANDUM (as Frank Morgan said to Judy G. in The Wizard of Oz)!

The Dennis Morgan version (as well as the 1929 John Boles version) have both in legal limbo. I don't know if it is due to Warners' own remake(s) so much as it is a loophole with the Sigmund Romberg estate. Anyway, if the Studio can (and did) clear THIS IS THE ARMY with Berlin/Rodgers & Hammerstein (administrators for Berlin) than ANYTHING is possible!!

I just saw the '29 SONG at CineFest in Syracuse and I was quite surprised by how well-paced it was. Thoroughly enjoyable. But for now TCM viewers have to make do with Warners' 1932 two-reel Vitaphone adaptation (with other performers) THE RED SHADOW.

In the meantime, the Riffs are abroad.

If you're really desperate to see the 1953 version, there are some copies of the OOP VHS release of a few years ago available on e-Bay, and probably elsewhere.