Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh, that face, that fabulous face. Whose is it?

Yes, Fred, it's Jeanne Eagels. Welcome back to the thread. This is the General Discussion Forum and I'm hoping that the pictures that are posted here will generate a little discussion so that we can all learn a little about the person in the photos. What can you tell us about Jeanne Eagels?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she only made 2 sound pictures before a chemically-induced early demise: The Letter and Jealousy, for Paramount in 1929. Fredric March was her leading man in the latter. Unfortunately, I think the film's now lost.

Interestingly, Bette Davis starred in remakes of both - the famous Wyler adaptation of Somerset Maugham's story, of course, and Jealousy became Deception (1946) with Paul Henreid and Claude Rains.

That's right, Nora. She apparently had some substance abuse problems. She missed some stage appearances and was banned from appearing on stage for 18 months in 1928, so she made those two movies during that time. She died at age 39 and was the first person to be nominated posthumously for an Oscar. Mary Pickford won that year. Jeanne Eagels was prtrayed by Kim Novak in a somewhat fictionalized biography called "Jeanne Eagels"

Film biographies have been around since the early days of cinema. Here are some singers who were portrayed on the screen by others. Can you tell us who they were, who portrayed them, and the names of the movies? In some instances, there may be more than one correct answer. Please, no partial answers. As Will Parker sang in "Oklahoma", "If you cain't give me all, give me nothin'. 'Cause nothin's what you'll git from me!".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTh97rKiKDoM_ZfgKBHHXlimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_fmOUvx-W5C-1M6j-aRj

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWbaMaBvYQehu8HVPZal2

These three should be easy. The next few may be a bit tougher. Remember, no partial answers, please.

Please read the instructions. There are three people pictured. Who are they, who portrayed them in movies, and what were the names of the movies? Please, no partial answers. If you don't know them all, then please let someone else have a shot at it.

June Carter - *Walk the Line* - Reese Witherspoon played her

Patsy Cline- *Sweet Dreams* - Jessica Lange played her

Loretta Lynn - *Coal Miner's Daughter* - Sissy Spacek

Patsy was my favorite, Crazy , love her I think this one is my fav song, although Walkin After Midnight is another, she was great and died much much too young

OK, I'll help out a little more. The other woman was a well known singer who was severely injured in a plane crash over water while on a USO tour during World War II. The co-pilot, who was also injured in the crash, fashioned a make-shift raft to keep them both afloat until they were rescued. A few years later, she married him. Two years after the accident, she was back entertaining troops, using crutches and a leg brace while she sang.

A little anecdote about Loretta Lynn ... she used to have a house in Puako here on the Big Island. I played the organ at Ascension Church there. One Sunday morning I noticed this very pretty woman come in, who was obviously Somebody Special. There's something about people like her who carry their specialness quietly, but are instantly recognized as Somebody, and she did. I had no idea who she was until we shook hands at the Sign of Peace. When I looked into those extremely blue eyes, I knew who she was. Her eyes are startling. I was a little surprised to see her there, since I believe she's not Catholic, but she hugged Father Schmidt when she saw him. Later I found they had become close when he helped her through the death of her son. She was very sweet and ordinary in her demeanor.

I haven't kept a journal, exactly; I just remember these things in such detail I could repeat them at any time, so maybe I'll put them all together some time.

I have a friend who had a limo service in L.A. and his are much more interesting ... his encounters with Mike Wallace, Marlon Brando, Gene Autry, Rod Steiger, Paul Allen (seventh richest man in the world, last I heard), were fascinating. We put them in draft form a while ago and perhaps he'll self-publish them.

I did write a whole book once, but it was fiction. Suzanne Brent, George's daughter, and I were (and are) great friends, and since she has a theatrical flair, I wrote three chapters of a book for her and some friends for a birthday we shared, and gave them to them at the party, which was held on a two-masted brigantine, sailing around San Diego Bay. The subject was one of the birthday guys, and portrayed him as his great interest, a knight in King Arthur's court. In the book, he was terribly inept and couldn't manage the chivalry thing very well. Maidens wouldn't let him rescue them, etc. Later they insisted on more chapters, so every time we had a party I came up with another. Eventually it ended with ten. What fun that was. Suzi was in it as Lady Suzanne the Penniless. I was Lady D, who was the most beautiful woman who had ever been seen at court. The knights all lost their minds when she came around. She couldn't sit in the booths in the cafe Sir Lancelot built, since all the knights tried to crowd in with her ... anyway. Fun stuff to write and it still makes me laugh when I read it.

Wow, Dothery, you're sort of a Hollywood insider. I love to hear from people who hob-nobbed with celebrities. My only Loretta Lynn story is that I once stopped for lunch at *Loretta Lynn's Country* *Kitchen*, ( I think that was the name), outside Nashville just off I-40. That was about twenty years ago when I was on a business trip to Tennessee and no, Loretta was not there. The answers to my recent post were all correct. I trust that my hints helped a bit. Remember, this is the discussion forum and when a picture can generate a little informative discussion here, I think that we all benefit.

Jane Froman only made a few movies, but she did have her own TV show for a while in the fifties. The song "I Believe" was written for her by musicians on the show. This clip isn't the best quality, but I think you may enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hMOCyUTVTc

Lillian Roth had a very nice career in the late twenties and into the thirties. Like so many others, she had problems with alcoholism and many failed marriages. In her younger days, she worked in vaudeville with her sister Ann.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAG13Wbpb2Cn57olR3guM

She played Margaret Dumont's daughter in "Animal Crackers", a Marx Brothers film from 1930. Here is a clip of her singing with Hal Thompson in that film.

Helen Morgan was a Broadway star who was the original Julie LaVerne in "Show Boat" on stage and in the 1936 film version. She also had alcohol problems and died at age 41 fron cirrhosis of the liver. She was portrayed by Polly Bergen in a "Playhouse 90" TV dramatization, and by Ann Blyth in the film version. Gogi Grant dubbed Ann Blyth's singing. Although Ann was an accomplished singer, she had a lyric soprano voice along the lines of Kathryn Grayson and Jane Powell. It was deemed not suitable for the torch songs that Helen Morgan sang. Here she is with probably her best known song, "Bill" from "Show Boat".

I'll be back later with more pictures.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Aug 10, 2013 10:07 PM

After a lengthy hiatus, let's see if we can get back to where we were. I will post pictures of several female singers who had movie biographies based on their lives. Can you tell us who they are, who portrayed them on film, and the name of the biographical film that was based on their life?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkUsWmGbalAM7YTLkcXRy

Photo-Ruth%20Etting.jpg

GraceMoore.jpg

While the woman in the first photo did many musical shows, she also did a lot of straight dramatic plays. She made only a few films.

The second woman was featured on one of these picture threads not long ago,

The third woman was an operatic singer who made a few movies.

Please, no partial answers.