Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
georgiegirl

Oh, that face, that fabulous face. Whose is it?

PIC. # 1

Gertrude Lawrence........STAR!.........Julie Andrews

Pic. #2

Ruth Etting.......LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME.......Doris Day

Pic. # 3

Grace Moore....SO THIS IS LOVE.....Kathryn Grayson

Twinks

Good work, Twinkeee, you got them all. Now, we'll go back to the previous format. I think that three people at once may have scared away some folks. Who is this young fellow. He was in lots of movies as a child. He also had a career as a young adult actor.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKAqVec4yJFLWUnhRFjKw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjlCL3dE5JOOCQr3KkwQa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr1Xf4aLPVkkg_yucrxPl

Is it Richard "Dickie" Jones who played Jefferson Smith's page in *Mr.* *Smith Goes to Washington* using his name in the movie? I also remember him from a cornball kiddie Western, *Buffalo Bill, Jr*.

I'm sure you're correct Star. That's is Dickie Jones. He looks so much like a contemporary little boy that was Susan's and Mike's son on Desperate Housewives and plays Bobby on Mad Men.

Yes, it's Dickie Jones. He was in a whole lot of movies as a child. He played Humphrey Bogart's son in "Black Legion". He and Mary Lee played mischievous children in "Nancy Drew, Reporter". Strangely, both would spend much of their careers working with Gene Autry. In that Nancy Drew movie, he did his Donald Duck impression. Disney may have noticed, because young Dickie was hired to do the voice of Pinocchio. Here he is with Cliff "Jiminy Cricket" Edwards in a recording session.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWsgoo8JZxcGcEocO_PB_

Later, as a young adult, he worked frequently with Gene Autry in Gene's movies and TV series. Gene's production company produced the "Range Rider" TV series with Jock Mahoney, and Dick Jones was cast as the young sidekick, Dick West. Later, Gene would produce :"Buffalo Bill Jr", and Dick Jones would star in that series. Here is how most of us remember him.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwa4aCHTHGMzb1eIpJis1

Now, who is this one time leading lady who became a busy character actress in her later years? She once played Bob Newhart's mother on his TV show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUgWRZ0fcAK5k1Fr7v7gu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-1SnedlFBjNkCW9j24rG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUzBmOphI-l2HeJTC_5RK

It's been a while. Let's move on.

Here is a pretty actress who was once in a movie with Shirley Temple. She was famous for something else. She was the artist's model for a well known picture. Do you know her and the picture that she posed for?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkMn-pAPod3tfNwMFaVsL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh2cZU05EmUK7YsEFgTVi

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRo6-FlnkMF_z3vaO-VBK

Rich was right. It's Evelyn Venable. She played Shirley Temple's mother in "The Little Colonel". A trivia question that has circulated on these boards from time to time is "who has appeared in the most movies?". Most of us think it's famous dress extra Bess Flowers with about a thousand appearances over a forty year span. Now, one could make the argument that Evelyn Venable's face, or at least a close likeness, has been seen by more movie goers than any other person's.

Here is an actor who was active in movies in the thirties and early forties. After military service in World War II, he got out of acting and entered the family business, politics, with some success. Do you know him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXZH9oCu1HqSVZdB14kEh

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnN3nnNxUzX6pohhrvmye

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLEmZGh5Y9HB0dtgGW4xM

The second photo is from his political days.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Aug 23, 2013 12:47 PM

SCSU1975 ought to know this guy. He was from Connecticut. He once played Bulldog Drummond in a movie. He also worked with Evelyn Venable at one time.

Here he is again.

th?id=H.4961787836630176&pid=15.1&w=110&

scsu1975 wrote: That would be John Davis Lodge, who was Governor of CT.

Thank you for the history lesson. I did not know of this particular Lodge as actor or politican. I take it he was related to Henry Cabot Lodge, diplomat and Nixon's VP choice in 1960 and the Senator Lodge who fought President Wilson's policies in the nineteens. Although they don't seem to be such headline makers as the Bush or Kennedy family members they appear to be as active.

You learn some weird stuff on these boards. I have heard of him, only because Interstate 95 in CT is named after him, but I never made the connection to film.

John D. Lodge is correct. He and Evelyn Venable played Shirley Temple's parents in "The Little Colonel". He starred with Dietrich in "The Scarlet Empress", and he had the title role in "Bulldog Drummond At Bay". His father and grandfather were U.S. senators and Henry Cabot Lodge was his brother.

Now, who is this?

paul-kelly-2-sized.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR38X3nXT101eFuQaVP7Iw

Yes, it's veteran character actor Paul Kelly, who played detectiives, gangsters, and assorted tough guys in countless movied from the thirties to the fifties. Here is something that you may not know. From 1927 to 1929, he served twenty-five months in prison for manslaughter. He he gotten into a fistfight with an actor named Ray Raymond, A few days later, Raymond died. After he was released, Kelly married Raymond's widow, who served a short amount of time as an accomplice, although at the time she denied being romantically involved with Kelly. Now, who are these folks? What do they have in common?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSISfpbAbStqmBQtUBUalX

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0nHMmsXX5Sb-S6dzcnzr

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLldHFIv4xLlqU8nd6Mam

The first one is Barton MacClain, the woman is Glenda Farrell. I know the third guy but his name escapes me at the moment.

We have a little teamwork here to get the complete answer. Between Helenbaby and Lavenderblue, we have the complete answer. You'll be able to see Glenda and the guys in the Torchy Blane movies on Thursday, August 29th.

Now, who are these three actresses and what do they have in common?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4zLBFEstNy8yDCBY0uu6

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJmohcBbXYR-9Jyq2gk4I

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReuChDXjCyygaHupsikhY

This one should be pretty easy for a lot of folks.

Edited by: MilesArcher on Aug 26, 2013 6:52 PM

They have Andy Hardy in common

Sara Hadon - Aunt Milly - I always say is Aline MacMahon's twin

Cecilia Parker- Marion

Fay Holden-- Andy's & Marion's mom and Judge Hardy's wife

No teamwork needed this time, Lavender. You got them all. Now here's an actor and actress who worked together a few times, playing the same characters. Do you know them and the movie series they were in?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTazYD5-FyI-PaTzS1w1qV

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfPzyOMxHIrJ0UEe_qDNk

I'll throw one more into the mix.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfZH2knInNKwwL5h6Kjhu

Edited by: MilesArcher on Aug 26, 2013 7:05 PM