Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
georgiegirl

Oh, that face, that fabulous face. Whose is it?

Hi, that one post on this thread yesterday was the only one I could make yesterday afternoon. The board is still having problems and I can only post about one message a day.

Anyway, a good way to find old photos of actors/actresses is to do a Google image search of a famous 1930s and 40s actress, and look through the photos for an old photo, maybe when they were a teenager or when they first started out in silent films. Then post it.

I'll try to get back to you when I can.

Fred

Lets see if this post works, although I might not be able to come back to identify her later.

Anyway, she started on Broadway and then made many sound movies in the 1930s and became famous. We all know her from several TCM films:

2lwp0ya.jpg

We know her as playing a grandmother in many films of the 1930s and 40s. This photo was taken around the 1890s.

30vj8tg.jpg

Woody Guthrie sang:

The twelve of the Joads made a mighty heavy load

And Grandpa Joad he cried

He picked up a handful of land in his hand

He said, I?m stickin with my farm till I die He said,

I?m stickin with my farm till I die

They fed him spareribs and coffee and soup and syrup

And Grandpa Joad he died

We buried Grandpa Joad on the Oklahoma road

And Grandma on the California side,

And Grandma on the California side

My god! Zeffie Tilbury! I never would have guessed! She was gorgeous, actually a gorgeous older woman as well, but you don't really see it in the Steinbeck movie, because of her characterization.

Yes, Zeffie Tilbury.

She was beautiful. She was born in 1863 and worked in plays in England and the US in the 1890s and early 20th Century.

Here is all of Woodie Guthries song: The Ballad of Tom Joad, which is about the book and movie, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, in which Zeffie Tilbury played Grandma Joad. I think that might have been Zeffie's most famous movie:

I love Woody. Thanks for that. I got to spend his 100th birthday with his family..... at a concert with a bunch of other fans.

I just jumped into this thread for the first time. Do I go next?

She became a stage performer in the 1910's, and made a couple of silents at Fort Lee, New Jersey, in the few years that it was a film mecca. Her first well known role came in 1940, but she stayed away from film acting for the most part until she was 70 years old and then became a very popular character actress.

Edited by: JackFavell on Sep 4, 2012 3:49 PM

This one should be easy for silent film buffs.

I think she's about 9 or 10 in this photo. She began making films a few years later:

mlmm1s.jpg