Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An applause for Hayley Mills!!

CelluloidKid

*I have a good friend that loves Hayley Mills ..... & this is for him & "*ALL*" fans of Hayley Mills!!*

*Hayley Catherine Rose Vivien Mills (born 18 April 1946) is an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award-winning English actress.*

Mills was born in London, England, the younger daughter of actor Sir John Mills and playwright Mary Hayley Bell. She is also the younger sister of actress Juliet Mills and the cousin of Susie Blake, who played Bev Unwin in the long running ITV soap Coronation Street.

Mills was only a year old when she made her movie debut, in the film _So Well Remembered_, starring her father, Oscar winner John Mills.

Mills was 12 when she was discovered by J. Lee Thompson, who was initially looking for a boy to play the lead role in Tiger Bay. Walt Disney's wife, Lillian Disney, saw her performance and suggested that Mills be given the lead role in Pollyanna. The role of the "glad girl" who moves in with her aunt catapulted Mills to super-stardom in the United States and earned her a special Academy Award.

After her contract with Disney expired in 1966, Mills starred in The Trouble with Angels, opposite Rosalind Russell. Looking to break from her clean-cut, girl-next-door image, Mills went home to England to star in The Family Way. Though meant to be a light British comedy about a couple having difficulty consummating their marriage, a brief shot of Mills' bare bottom generated a certain amount of controversy upon first release, possibly because of her previous "family movie" background. Though harmless by today's standards, The Family Way hurt Mills' film career.

Mills made her stage debut in a 1966 West End revival of _Peter Pan_. In 2000, she won a Theatre World Award for her performance in Suite in Two Keys - her off-Broadway debut.

In the mid-1980s, Mills returned to The Parent Trap in a trio of TV movies: The Parent Trap II, The Parent Trap III and The Parent Trap: Hawaiian Honeymoon.

In later life, Mills appeared in television's Saved By the Bell, which was formerly titled Good Morning, Miss Bliss. Other television work includes The Flame Trees of Thika for the BBC in 1981 and a trio of made-for-TV movies based on The Parent Trap. She later moved on to theater work, appearing in New York in _Suite in 2 Keys_, a play by Noel Coward in which she Theatre World Award for her performance , and touring with a production of The King and I during the 1990s.

*_Hayley Mills Trivia_*

Daughter of playwright Mary Hayley Bell and actor John Mills.

Her son is Crispian Mills, lead singer of Kula Shaker. Signed with Sony; their second single went straight to number 2 in UK charts. He is now part of The Jeevas.

Of the Oscar-winning father-daughter couples, she and her father are one of two couples (the other is Jane Fonda/Henry Fonda) where the daughter won an Academy award before the father did.

Is the god-daughter of Sir Laurence Olivier.

She and her father John Mills were the first Oscar-winning father-daughter couple

She had hit recordings on both sides of The Atlantic with "Let's Get Together"(1961), which she performed in the film "The Parent Trap", and "Johnny Jingo" (1962).

Last person to be awarded a "Juvenile Award" at the Oscars.

Mills was considered for the role of Lolita Haze in Stanley Kubrick's 1962 film version of _Lolita_. However, Walt Disney discouraged the casting, feeling the role was not up to Disney's wholesome standard, and the part eventually went to Sue Lyon.

Hayley_Mills.jpg

R6I5U10P_large.jpg

childstars-mills-431x300.jpg;

*_Movies_*

_Wild at Heart_ (2007) (TV series)........ Caroline

_Stricken_ (2005) ..... Hildy

_2BPerfectlyHonest_ (2004) ........ Terri

_Troll in Central Park, A_ (1993) (voice) .... Hilary

_Back Home_ (1990) (TV) .... Peggy

_Parent Trap Hawaiian Honeymoon_ (1989) (TV) .... Susan Wyatt/Sharon Evers

aka: Parent Trap IV: Hawaiian Honeymoon (1989) (TV)

_Parent Trap III_ (1989) (TV) .... Susan/Sharon Evers

_Appointment With Death_ (1988) .... Miss Quinton

"Good Morning, Miss Bliss" (1987) TV Series .... Miss Carrie Bliss

aka "Saved By The Bell" (1987)

_Parent Trap II_ (1986) (TV) .... Sharon Ferris/Susan Corey

"Flame Trees of Thika, The" (1980) (mini) TV Series .... Tilly

_Kingfisher Caper, The_ (1975) .... Tracy

aka: Diamond Lust (Canada: English title) (video title)

aka: The Diamond Hunters (South Africa: English title)

_Bananas Boat, The_ (1974) .... Jenny

aka: What Changed Charley Farthing? (1974)

_Deadly Strangers_ (1974) .... Belle Adams

_Cry of the Penguins_ (1971) .... Tara St. John Luke

aka Mr. Forbush and the Penguins (1971)

_Endless Night_ (1971) .... Ellie

aka Agatha Christie's Endless Night (1971)

_Take a Girl Like You_ (1970) .... Jenny Bunn

_Twisted Nerve_ (1968) .... Susan Harper

_Africa - Texas Style!_ (1967) .... Girl at airport

aka Cowboy in Africa (1967)

_Matter of Innocence, A_ (1967) .... Polly

aka Pretty Polly (1967)

_Daydreamer, The_ (1966) (voice) .... The Little Mermaid

_Family Way, The_ (1966) .... Jenny Fitton

_Gypsy Girl_ (1966) .... Brydie White

aka Sky West and Crooked (1966)

_Trouble With Angels, The_ (1966) .... Mary Clancy

_That Darn Cat!_ (1965) .... Patti Randall

_Chalk Garden, The_ (1964) .... Laurel

_Moon-Spinners, The_ (1964) .... Nikky Ferris

_Truth About Spring, The_ (1964) .... Spring Tyler

_Summer Magic_ (1963) .... Nancy Carey

_In Search of the Castaways_ (1962) .... Mary Grant

_Parent Trap, The_ (1961) .... Sharon McKendrick/Susan Evers

aka Petticoats and Bluejeans (1961)

_Whistle Down the Wind (_1961) .... Kathy Bostock

_Pollyanna_ (1960) .... Pollyanna

_Tiger Bay_ (1959) .... Gillie

_So Well Remembered_ (1947) .....Infant.....Uncredited

Absolutely. She deserves the applause. I have to admit I haven't followed her whole career, but I remember very well when she first came on the scene. I wasn't familiar with her father, except for Swiss Family Robinson, but it was obvious Haley had acting chops that, say, Annette Funicello and Shelley Fabres didn't. I saw The Trouble With Angels recently on TCM and found myself laughing like crazy. She was deft at comedy, yet her earnestness meant you felt a whole range of emotions right along with her. Much of acting is intuitive and can't really be learned, no matter who your father is. Haley definitely has the goods.

1009263m.jpg

I enjoyed the story and the Hitchcock-like suspense in this film. Haley Mills channeling Nancy Drew was excellent and very beautiful, and she still is! Eli Wallach's acting was also very good, although he was better in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Too bad there was never a Moon Spinners sequel.

51FVE3XTGJL._SL500.jpg

21994-large.jpg

Hayley Mills gives an astonishing performance here in her film debut, playing a young girl who befriends murderous sailor Horst Buchholz and hinders detective John Mills's investigation at every turn. The ?kid and the killer? plot had cropped up regularly during the 1950s and this variation has nothing new to say on the subject. But J Lee Thompson (always a fine director of children) surrounds 12-year-old Hayley with credible characters and faithfully captures the sights and sounds of Cardiff's docklands

Cheers to Hayley!

Man o'Man.She is one beautiful person.A natural.Obviously,from a very big name family in film and theater-but their is not a snobby nor mean bone in that soul.

One of those artists that you can say.."I'd like to hang out with him or her!"

One of the few child actresses that transitioned successfully to a teen actress and into an adult actress. I can't help but think it was her acting family that helped support her through.

Whatever happened to her sister Juliet? I never hear of her anymore.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> One of the few child actresses that transitioned successfully to a teen actress and into an adult actress. I can't help but think it was her acting family that helped support her through.

>

> Whatever happened to her sister Juliet? I never hear of her anymore.

Juliet spent the last 9 years on the American soap, *Passions*. She is currently appearing on the Australian show, *Wild at Heart*, with sister Hayley!

*Vibrant community was the real star of Tiger Bay film*

WalesOnline - ‎Mar 30, 2009‎

Mar 30 2009

*IF there is one film that captures the character, history and essence of Butetown and Cardiff?s docks, Tiger Bay is it.*

Premiering 50 years ago almost to the day, it won an international critics? award and was so commercially successful it allowed its little-known director J Lee Thompson to break into Hollywood.

The thriller follows a Polish seaman who kills his girlfriend and kidnaps a child. As police close in, an intimate friendship develops between the pair.

It starred Horst Buchholz, who was later one of The Magnificent Seven, and Sir John Mills as a police officer, while Mills? daughter, Hayley, stole the film as the little girl.

But while the film?s plot thrilled audiences across the globe, back in Cardiff it became best known for capturing the spirit of Butetown?s tight-knit community, which lives on today.

Filming took place towards the end of 1958 in areas around Bute Street and Loudoun Square as well as Barry, Talybont Reservoir near Brecon, and Newport.

As well as local settings, it also featured Cardiff faces, including Butetown historian Neil Sinclair who played a young boy who fights with the Hayley Mills character.

A large number of the scenes weren?t staged ? the cameras were left on the streets to film the street culture in what was the closest thing to reality TV at the time.

It also features hundreds of dockside shots, scenes in real pubs and in the area?s surrounding countryside.

But the film?s success didn?t come without controversy, and in the weeks before and after its premier in Cardiff?s Gaumont Theatre, much was said about the possible negative impact such a lurid story could have on Butetown?s future.

Former Prime Minister James Callaghan, who was the Cardiff South East MP at the time, even attempted to get the name of the film changed, so that it wouldn?t be associated with the area. And In 1959, the Echo reported in one article that the then town hall clerk Mr S Tapper-Jones was worried that the film would frighten off would-be developers from coming to Butetown.

He said: ?I am glad of the opportunity to stress the profound concern of the city council collectively at the gross manner in which the impression of the type of life in this neighbourhood has been misrepresented merely for the depraved taste of people who like sensational pictures.?

Meanwhile, ahead of the film?s first screening, the Echo also reported how it had ?stirred up more controversy than any other picture the Rank Organisation has made in years?.

But whatever controversies it caused, the film has lived on in Cardiff?s memory until the present day.

Now, on its 50th anniversary, the Wales Millennium Centre has launched a series of exhibitions and events to commemorate it.

Jazz singer Patti Flynn last night kicked off celebrations, playing a sell-out concert at the theatre to 250 people alongside her fellow Bay divas, sisters Humie and Jacky Webbe.

The singers said they wanted to bring live music back to Tiger Bay and organised their gig to take place in the heart of Butetown so as to remind the residents how the community spirit is alive now, just as much as it was in 1959.

But Patti?s link to the film is stronger than most, as she auditioned for one of the lead roles when she was just 18 years old.

Even though she was turned down for it by the producer, she had a small walk-on part as an extra and says the film will always have a special place in her heart.

?I auditioned for the role of Anya, who was the prostitute with whom one of the lead characters has an affair,? she said.

?I was taken to meet the producer, but she didn?t give me the part.

?I guess it was because I didn?t look quite like a prostitute. I was wearing a pretty, dainty skirt and I looked too young and innocent, I suppose.

?Instead I was given a walk-on part, and you can actually see me sitting in front of Horst Buchholz during one of the scenes in St Mary?s Church.?

Grandmother Patti, who has a Welsh mother and Jamaican father, disagreed that the film portrayed Butetown in a bad light. Although she now lives in Fairwater, she grew up on North Church Street, Butetown, and remembers vividly the time when Tiger Bay was filmed.

?Everyone was up in arms about the film, thinking it was going to paint the community in a bad light,? she said.

?But when the production team arrived and they announced they would pay people ?10 a day to be an extra, everyone was queuing up around the block to take part.

?Whatever anyone says, it was a lovely film that showed the community spirit of Butetown.?

The Wales Millennium Centre said they were looking forward to celebrating the film.

Bet Davies, head of communications, said: ?The film Tiger Bay left a deep and lasting impression on many people across Wales.

?It?s remembered because it was one of the first cinematic attempts to reflect life in the docks and the rich diversity of Tiger Bay.

?I guess it also started Cardiff?s reputation as a hub for film location work, hugely expanded in recent years with productions such as Torchwood and Dr Who.?

Do you remember when Tiger Bay was being filmed? We want to hear from you. Contact andrew.dagnell @walesonline.co.uk or call 029 2024 3627.

o_Tiger_Bay.jpg

*Happy Belated Birthday Ms. Hayley Mills - Born 18 April 1946!!!!!*

Mills.jpg

Following her BAFTA-winning film debut in Tiger Bay, she was discovered by Walt Disney and cast as his Pollyanna. Her iconic performance won her a special Academy Award (the last of the "juvenile" Oscars) as well as a Golden Globe as "Most Promising Newcomer".

- Her next big hit for Disney was The Parent Trap, wherein she co-starred with "herself" and received a Golden Globe nomination, as well as a hit record with "Let's Get Together". Subsequent Disney films included In Search of the Castaways, Summer Magic (another Globe nomination), The Moon-Spinners and That Darn Cat! She was named a Disney Legend in 1998.

- Outside of the Mouse House, she starred in Whistle Down the Wind (based on the book by her mother, Mary Hayley Bell) and co-starred with her father, Sir John Mills, in The Truth About Spring. Other films include The Chalk Garden, The Trouble with Angels and The Family Way, which featured a brief but still controversial shot of her bare behind.

- Stage roles have included Peter Pan in London, Anna Leonowens in touring versions of The King and I and an Off-Broadway run of No?l Coward's Suite in Two Keys.

- On television, she has guest starred on the usual series (The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote) and headlined a trio of Parent Trap made-for-TV sequels. She also starred as the title character in Good Morning, Miss Bliss, the short-lived precursor to Saved by the Bell. More recently, she has appeared on the British drama Wild at Heart.

*25 April ? Wotton Electric Picture House will be screening the 1960s classic Sky West and Crooked, which was filmed in Gloucestershire, as part of the We Love Wotton celebrations.*

SoGlos.com - ‎Apr 21, 2009‎

*The charming 1966 classic Sky West and Crooked will be screened at Wotton Electric Picture House on Saturday 25 April 2009, as part of the We Love Wotton celebrations in Wotton-Under-Edge.* .

Starring a teenage Hayley Mills, Ian McShane in his pre-Lovejoy days and a cast of local extras plucked from the surrounding area, film buffs of all ages can catch the drama rated U when it shown at the independent cinema from 4.30pm.

For first-timers, the plot sees Mills plays Bridie, a simple-minded girl growing up in the countryside, who has been involved in a tragic accident. When she runs away, and meets a handsome gypsy played by McShane, the local community are the first to cast aspersions.

According to organisers of the special one-off screening, local people ? particularly the then young children used as extras in the film ? remember the making of the film in 1965 well.

Sky West and Crooked, which was written and directed by Haley?s parents Mary Bell and John Mills, was was partly filmed in local locations ? including Badminton village and church ? so keep your eyes peeled on Wotton Electric Picture House?s big screen for sights you might recognise.

Event: _Sky West and Crooked_ (1966) screening

Venue: Wotton Electric Picture House

Date: Saturday 25 April 2009

Times: From 4.30pm

Tickets: Cost 5.80 for adults, and ?4.80 for concessions, available to book online at wottoneph.co.uk. Contact Wotton Electric Picture House on (01453) 844601 for more information.

SoGlos.com

20 April 2009

*Nurse Amy?s full of tender, loving care*

Apr 30 2009 Skelmersdale Advertiser

Ticket giveaway for classic show

*THROUGHOUT the year, the Studio Theatre in Edge Hill University?s Centre for the Performing Arts screens a diverse body of carefully selected films.*

*The last offering of the current season is the 1961 classic _Whistle Down The Wind_ featuring a young Hayley Mills alongside co-star Alan Bates. The screening will take place tonight, Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 7.30pm.*

When an escaped criminal seeks refuge in a barn, the children who discover him believe him to be Jesus Christ. This nostalgic British film is redolent of a more innocent age ? and is a charming portrait of childhood in rural Lancashire. Nominated for four BAFTAs including Best Film, Whistle Down the Wind is a U certificate.

The Short Cuts Film Society has three pairs of ticket to tonight?s screening to give away to the first lucky readers to call 01695 58 4480 quoting Hayley Mills.

On their way to number 10

PRIME Minister Gordon Brown and Ed Balls, the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, welcomed members of Edge Hill?s education team to Downing Street this week.

The event was held to celebrate the successful launch of the Numbers Count Programme.

Edge Hill University in partnership with Lancashire County Council has developed Numbers Count for the national Every Child Counts programme and is training 210 teachers across the country to give Numbers Count support to six-year-old-children who struggle with mathematics.

The Prime Minister praised the ?tremendous work? of the team to change the lives of young children who struggled with mathematics or reading.

Nick Dowrick, Head of Every Child Counts Programmes, was joined by Sylvia Dunn, Susie Nicholson, Kathy Secular, Louise Matthews, Rebecca Lewis, Andy Tynemouth and Yvonne Panteli, together with teacher leaders, teachers, children and their parents who all work together nationally on the Numbers Count programme devised and led by Edge Hill University.

Research published recently showed that children taking part in the first term of Numbers Count across England have made an average of 12 months? progress over a three-month period with just 20 hours tuition.

This means the children are progressing at four times the nationally-expected rate.

Every Child Counts is a national partnership between the Department for Children, Schools and Families, the National Strategies, the Every Child A Chance Trust, and Edge Hill University. It aims to provide support for Year 2 children who struggle with mathematics. Numbers Count is the intervention programme that has been developed by Edge Hill University for teachers to use when working with children.

Around 40 per cent of pupils on Numbers Count are on free school meals compared to less then 20 per cent nationally.

Whistle%20Down%20the%20Wind.jpg

*Sat, May 2, 2009 @ 10:30 AM _That Darn Cat!_ (1965) on the HALMRK Channel.*

205001~That-Darn-Cat-Posters.jpg

*The film's writers, Mildred Gordon, Gordon Gordon, and Bill Walsh, were nominated by the Writers Guild of America for Best Written American Comedy. The film was also nominated for an Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Motion Picture, and a Golden Leaf nomination for Best Supporting Actress (Elsa Lanchester). Mills won the 1966 second place Golden Leaf award for Comedy Performance, Actress. The Sherman Brothers won the third place Golden Leaf award for Best Song.*

*In 1962, Ivan Ulz wrote a song about actress Hayley Mills. In it, he expressed an ardent desire to meet her in person. It's 42 years later. Will he finally get his wish? With Glen Campbell on guitar, how can Ivan (aka Billy Kidd) lose?*

0222-hayley-mills.jpg

February 27, 2007

It?s hard to believe, but Hayley Mills has turned 60 years old ? and been a major star for 48 of them. She gives credit for her career to her parents:

?How has my career lasted so long, when so many others who started young have fallen by the wayside? I think that I was truly blessed with a pair of intelligent and very sensible parents. Parents who could listen, as well as talk.?

She does agree, with a chuckle, that ?Daddy?s selection of sponsors for me at my Christening did perhaps show that he was thinking, even then, that I might be an actress. Not many people can say that Laurence Olivier and Noel Coward are their godfathers.?

• 2 weeks later...

*Hayley Mills on TCM May 2009 - All Times Are Eastern - Check Local Schedule.*

*Sun, May 31, 3:30 PM _Pollyanna_ (1960)*

*Disney's 1960 version starring child actress Hayley Mills, who won a special Oscar for the role!*

p-pollyanna00.jpg

pollyanna-9.jpg>

Archived