Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An applause for Hayley Mills!!

CelluloidKid

My first introduction to Hayley was in The Parent Trap which I saw when I was a kid. After seeing Pollyanna for the first time not long ago, I really want to discover her other films. I agree that she was a very talented child actor!!

Any recommendations for me?

• 3 months later...

*WOW!!! Thu, Oct 8, 2009 @ 6:00 AM - Eastern Time- Check Local Schedule!*

*Gypsy Girl (1966) (USA) (AKA: _Sky West and Crooked_ (1966))*

p_skywest_and_crooked.jpg

Directed by her father John Mills, and co-written by her mother Mary Hayley Bell.

Hayley Mills plays a young woman in a village in the West Country in England. She has learning difficulties because of a shooting accident when she was younger. She becomes involved with a young gypsy man, played by Ian McShane, in one of his earliest film roles.

• 2 weeks later...

*WOW!!!*

*DON'T FORGET!!*

*Thu, Oct 8, 2009 @ 6:00 AM - Eastern Time- Check Local Schedule!*

*Gypsy Girl (1966) (USA) (AKA: _Sky West and Crooked_ (1966))*

p_skywest_and_crooked.jpg

Directed by her father John Mills, and co-written by her mother Mary Hayley Bell.

Hayley Mills plays a young woman in a village in the West Country in England. She has learning difficulties because of a shooting accident when she was younger. She becomes involved with a young gypsy man, played by Ian McShane, in one of his earliest film roles.

260295.1020.A.jpg

• 1 month later...

*Sun, Nov 22, 2:00 PM (Eastern - Check Local Schedule!) _The Parent Trap_ (1961)*

The original film was Mills' second of six films for Disney.

Parent_trap_%281961%29.jpg

*Awards and nominations*

The film was nominated for two Academy Awards: one for Sound by Robert O. Cook, and the other for Film Editing by Philip W. Anderson.

• 2 months later...

*Sat, Feb 13, 2010 @ 5:45 AM _The Parent Trap_ (1961)* *All Times Eastern. Check Local Times!*

*The Parent Trap was nominated for two Academy Awards, was broadcast on television, saw three television sequels, was remade in 1998 with Lindsay Lohan, and has been released to VHS and DVD. The original film was Mills' second of six films for Disney.*

*_Awards and nominations_*

The film was nominated for two Academy Awards: one for Sound by Robert O. Cook, and the other for Film Editing by Philip W. Anderson.

Parent_trap_%281961%29.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

*Sun, Mar 7, 1:30 PM - _Pollyanna_ (1960) - All Times Eastern. Check Local Times!*

*The film marks Mills' first of six films for Disney and won the actress an Academy Juvenile Award.*

*_Awards_:*

Hayley Mills won the 1960 Academy Juvenile Award for her performance, and also received a BAFTA nomination for Best Actress.

pollyana.jpg

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> *WOW!!!*

> *DON'T FORGET!!* > *Thu, Oct 8, 2009 @ 6:00 AM - Eastern Time- Check Local Schedule!*

> *Gypsy Girl (1966) (USA) (AKA: _Sky West and Crooked_ (1966))*

> Directed by her father John Mills, and co-written by her mother Mary Hayley Bell.

> Hayley Mills plays a young woman in a village in the West Country in England. She has learning difficulties because of a shooting accident when she was younger. She becomes involved with a young gypsy man, played by Ian McShane, in one of his earliest film roles.

Thanks for the heads up on this film with Ian McShane. Who was the old directed she ended up marrying? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

*Q&A: Hayley Mills‎*

The Guardian - Mar 5, 2010

*Photograph: Graham Whitby-Boot/Allstar Hayley Mills, 63, was born in London, the daughter of the actor John Mills and the writer Mary Hayley Bell. ...*

*Q&A: Hayley MillsThe worst thing anyone's said to me? 'Your father has died'*

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/06/hayley-mills-interview

• 4 weeks later...

Toni Collette, Ioan Gruffudd and Hayley Mills to star in Foster

Posted by: Brad Sturdivant

April 2010 News

Flix 66 (blog)

The little drama _FOSTER_ has assembled a talented cast with Toni Collette, Ioan Gruffudd, Hayley Mills, Richard E. Grant and Anne Reid joining the unique film. Jonathan Newman wrote the screenplay and will be directing the film, which is about a married couple still trying to get over the death of their little son, who died several years ago. As they?re trying to adopt a child, a young boy appears on their doorstep. Production starts on the film this week.

Toni Collette is an outstanding actress, but I don?t think she can carry her own film. But this seems to be a smaller, independent movie, so it will probably only see a limited release. The story is interesting enough, but I?m curious where they?re going to take the story.

• 3 months later...

*HAYLEY MILLS IS HAPPY AT 64*

Wednesday July 14,2010

*FOR many she will forever be the girl from 1961?s The Parent Trap and even Hayley Mills can?t quite believe she?s now 64.*

The daughter of Sir John Mills, who splits her time between New York and London, says she?s thrilled she?s still breathing. ?I have an absolutely lovely life,? she tells The Lady magazine.

?I?m still alive, which is a good start, still working, surrounded by children, a grandson and the most wonderful man actor Firdous Bamji, 44 I could wish for.?

Hayley, now starring in Wild At Heart, recalls listening to The Beatles? When I?m 64 in her youth.

?It sounded so old to me, she says. ?Now that I am 64 it seems little more than a number to me.

?Isn?t it nice to not be consumed with anxiety about that pimple on the end of your nose that seemed so important in your teenage years??

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/186708/Hayley-Mills-is-happy-at-64

• 2 months later...

*October 9, 2010 @ 9:15pm - Arizoan Time -*

*_Family Way, The_ (1966)*

Living with his parents keeps a newlywed husband from consummating his marriage.

Cast: Hayley Mills, John Mills, Hywel Bennett, Marjorie Rhodes Dir: Roy Boulting C-116 mins

_The Family Way_ starring Hayley Mills in what was billed as her first 'adult' film. Many actors turn to roles featuring villainy or mature themes in order to appeal to a larger audience and show they can act beyond the characters that people are familiar with. Child actors in particular go that route with varying degrees of success. Hayley Mills was one of those that by all accounts was able to grow into a fine adult actor and have a successful career.

In The Family Way, Hayley gets married to some tool and like many newlyweds, experience comical, dramatic moments caused by interfering parents and horribly awkward adult situations. The Family Way also features the first nude scene by Hayley.

HayleyMillsFamilyWay340.jpg

881851773_413f8bb953_o.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

My favorite Hayley Mills movies are The Parent Trap, Pollyanna and Summer Magic.  Though I just saw The Trouble With Angels on TCM recently and I enjoyed that as well.  I remember checking all the Hayley Mills videos out from the video store when I was little.  The video store next to the pizza place we went to every week had almost all of her films.  I think I've pretty much seen all the Disney ones.  Hmm, with the exception of The Parent Trap and Pollyanna (which I own), I should try to rewatch them all on Netflix.  I wonder if they're available.

I remember in the 80s that Hayley Mills played the teacher in the first incarnation of Saved By the Bell.  It was called Good Morning, Miss Bliss.  She played "Miss Bliss" and acted as a mentor to the kids in addition to being their teacher. 

I'm surprised that TCM doesn't air more of her films.  I was under the impression that they will lease out their live action films; but not their animated ones.  I was surprised that The Parent Trap didn't end up on Maureen O'Hara's SOTM schedule this year, seeing that it is one of her more well-known roles.

I was under the impression that they (Disney) will lease out their live action films; but not their animated ones.  I was surprised that The Parent Trap didn't end up on Maureen O'Hara's SOTM schedule this year, seeing that it is one of her more well-known roles.

TCM had a fantastic Disney package deal a few years ago and broadcast both THE PARENT TRAP '61 and POLLYANNA '60 (my first time seeing that one) Obviously, that deal has expired.

Luckily, TCM shows her in TIGER BAY '59 and my favorite WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND '61 fairly regularly. Catch them if you can, they are both unusual stories and Hayley is just magnificent in these dramatic roles.

She's great in comedy too-an overall talented gal. And I think she looks exactly the same as an "old lady" of 64. We're lucky to have her entire life's career on film for generations to enjoy.

Archived