Chasing Rainbows' (1930)

"Ripley's Believe It or Not'' shorts

My Wild Irish Rose (1947)

The Eddie Cantor Story (1953)

Lord Byron of Broadway (1930)

Arizona Dreams (1993)

Rabbit, Run (1970)

Girlfriends (1978)

A Man and a Woman: 20 Years Later (1986)

Meeting Venus (1991)

A Night Full of Rain (1978)

The Picasso Summer (1969)

The Priest's Wife (1971)

Surviving Picasso (1996)

I love 'B' movies. I would hope no more than between $24.95 and $29.95. I believe there are 5 Torchy films which could be 2 discs. Like to see what the new artwork looks like for this series of films.

Guess I was wrong. Checked further to see that there are 9 films in the series. A five disc set sounds odd since the films are approximately 60 minutes long and two to three films should fit on 4 discs, so WB seems to be spreading the films on 5 discs. Guess this one could sell for a least $39.95.

According to the New York Post, Al Jolson's MAMMY (1930) with fully restored Technicolor sequences will be released by the Warner Archive on April 6.

YESSSSSSS!!! CAN'T WAIT!

Coffeedan, I know, I am happy, too. "Mammy" was something I learned was coming when I did the visit with George Feltenstein a little ways back but had to promise to not release the info until they did. Believe me, that was hard. Other info I had to repress was the change in cover art, A Star is Born Blu-ray date, and other things now released. And I still have at least one nice piece of info, something major for Blu-ray.

These aren't great Crawford films. The only title that is of interest to me is SUSAN AND GOD with a great co-starring cast. Also, ESCAPE with Norma Shearer and Robert Taylor is worthwhile. And finally the TORCHY BLAINE series.

great to see Susan and God, but i'm more excited about Torchy Blane!

http://www.wbshop.com/Torchy-Blane-Collection-19361939/1000150902,default,pd.html?cgid=

i haven't bought any of these archive collections, but the art for the Torchy Blane Collection doesn't show any individual covers (like the Joan Crawford set), and the DVDs aren't available separately, so i'm curious what type of packaging this is. i'd be interested to hear from anyone who bought this or anything similar?

Like the musical shorts DVD set, the Blaine series most likely won't contain individual jackets, but with each disc contained in its own individual slot all in one DVD jacket.

Yeah they sounded interesting so I went for the whole set..Ive been pleasantly surprised with a lot of them that I bought without viewing & kept them

Just speaking for myself, I'm becoming a little concerned with the fact that this is the second release of Warner Archive Collection new titles without a single movie/short from pre-1960.

I really hope that they aren't abandoning or moving away from the truly classic releases (pre-1950).

If anybody has any insight on this (such as the people who attended the workshop with Warner at the end of last year), please share.

Thanks.

>>I'm becoming a little concerned with the fact that this is the second release of Warner Archive Collection new titles without a single movie/short from pre-1960

Are we looking at the same list?

>>March 16 releases:

*Torchy Blane: The Complete Movie Collection*

*Too Much, Too Soon (1957)*

*Saint Joan (1957)*

*Midnight Alibi (1934)*

*Chasing Rainbows' (1930)*

*"Ripley's Believe It or Not'' shorts*

*My Wild Irish Rose (1947)*

*The Eddie Cantor Story (1953)*

*Lord Byron of Broadway (1930)*

Arizona Dreams (1993)

Rabbit, Run (1970)

Girlfriends (1978)

A Man and a Woman: 20 Years Later (1986)

Meeting Venus (1991)

A Night Full of Rain (1978)

The Picasso Summer (1969)

The Priest's Wife (1971)

Surviving Picasso (1996)

There have been typically two Warner Archive release dates per month. The two I am referring to are the one for the second part of April and the one for the first part of May (today's release). The first included some Tarzan movies from the 1960's, which I don't personally consider to be classic or old movies. There was nothing prior to 1960 in that release.

Today's release only includes movies from 1970 - present. These haven't been listed here yet, but can be found at wbshop.com.

I fully expect there will be many more old/classic releases from the 20's, 30's and 40's, but this is a disturbing trend, nonetheless.

Sorry. I thought you were referring to the list that had been posted on this thread...

(Which I now see - courtesy of a curious "paste" - is a couple months old.)

I think they went with newer titles to increase the audience of potential buyers. I havent heard of 90% of the movies they released last week but they are all seem to be post 1960. Maybe they do want a wider audience to buy other than just classic black and white films.

But then again they have mixed & matched old & new films starting from day one - such as Captain Sindbad, Doc Savage etc were blended with oldies..

Maybe there really is no method to the madness. I still cant believe this batch of 10 they released - not one sounded interesting to me. Its hard to believe that Stranger on the 3rd Floor still hasnt made it yet as an Archive..

Here's a partial listing of the MGM shorts in the Classic Musical Shorts DVD set coming out on May 18. -

"Classic Musical Shorts from the Dream Factory, 1928 - 1948" - Warner Archive Collection

The Devil's Cabaret, The (1930)

Cinema Circus (1937)

Gems of M-G-M (1930)

Musical Masterpieces (1947)

My Grandfather's Clock (1934)

Nertsery Rhymes (1933)

Over the Counter (1932)

Rhumba Rhythm at the Hollywood La Conga (1939)

Streamlined Swing (1938)

Wild People (1932)

Bars and Stripes (1937)

Big Idea, The (1934)

Musical Merry-Go-Round: Frankie Carle & Marjorie Hughes (1948)

Musical Merry-Go-Round: Freddy Martin & His Orchestra (1948)

Gypsy Night (1935)

Musical Merry-Go-Round: Les Brown & Virginia O'Brien (1948)

Let's Dance (1936)

Musical Merry-Go-Round: Ray Noble & Buddy Clark (1948)

Swing Banditry (1936)

Musical Merry-Go-Round: Tex Beneke & His Orchestra (1948)

Musical Merry-Go-Round: Tex Beneke & Les Brown (1948)

Beer and Pretzels (1933)

Plane Nuts (1933)

Can't wait to see the rest of the list!