Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mateo107

Warner Archives Discussion

*The recent the WB.com ( Warner Archive) DVDs release of Cheryl Ladd's _A Death in California_ (1985) (TV) and Farrah Fawcett's _See You in the Morning_ (1989) is now available on Amazon.com*

Here are the films:

_A Death in California_ (1985) (TV) - Cheryl Ladd

_See You in the Morning_ (1989) - Farrah Fawcett

_Purple Hearts_ (1984) - Cheryl Ladd

D57090.jpg

ADeathInCalifornia.jpg

*_The Caretakers_ (1963) starring Joan Crawford and Robert Stack now on DVD.*

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B3O5GI/ref=ox_ya_os_product

default-the-caretaker.jpg

How about a fun movie night with a bunch of raving lunatics? In 1963, _The Caretakers_ was meant to be a serious film about mental health reform. Now, it's like a midnight movie. It stars Polly Bergen as a housewife who flips out and ends up in a loony bin headed by hard-as-nails Joan Crawford, who, by the way, slips into black tights to teach judo to her staff to fend off the crazy patients. There are plenty for everyone here: a wise-cracking nymphomaniac, a mute pyromaniac, a hippy, punch made with rubbing alcohol, lots of cat fights, and a super-hip score.

*FINALLY CAME TO DVD out April 15 2010. Just got my copy ...plays great!! A+++!!*

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Here's a partial listing of the MGM shorts in the Classic Musical Shorts DVD set coming out on May 18. -

>

> "Classic Musical Shorts from the Dream Factory, 1928 - 1948" - Warner Archive Collection

>

>

>

> The Devil's Cabaret, The (1930)

> Cinema Circus (1937)

> Gems of M-G-M (1930)

> Musical Masterpieces (1947)

> My Grandfather's Clock (1934)

> Nertsery Rhymes (1933)

> Over the Counter (1932)

> Rhumba Rhythm at the Hollywood La Conga (1939)

> Streamlined Swing (1938)

> Wild People (1932)

> Bars and Stripes (1937)

> Big Idea, The (1934)

> Musical Merry-Go-Round: Frankie Carle & Marjorie Hughes (1948)

> Musical Merry-Go-Round: Freddy Martin & His Orchestra (1948)

> Gypsy Night (1935)

> Musical Merry-Go-Round: Les Brown & Virginia O'Brien (1948)

> Let's Dance (1936)

> Musical Merry-Go-Round: Ray Noble & Buddy Clark (1948)

> Swing Banditry (1936)

> Musical Merry-Go-Round: Tex Beneke & His Orchestra (1948)

> Musical Merry-Go-Round: Tex Beneke & Les Brown (1948)

> Beer and Pretzels (1933)

> Plane Nuts (1933)

>

> Can't wait to see the rest of the list!

>

That "partial listing" that got around yesterday apparently (and obviously) has been revised and many of the shorts listed there are now not included in the set as released today, May 18.

Here is the finalized listing of the contents:

http://www.wbshop.com/Classic-Musical-Shorts-from-the-Dream-Factory/1000150505,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVENEW

Still some good fun stuff there, but I'm ready for Volume 2 already!

I was really excited to see that the Warner Archive's released _Sphinx_ (1981) on DVD!! This was 1 of my mom's favorite films and books.

I remember seeing this on HBO, Glad to see it on DVD. I haven't seen this film in years!

Sad my mother passed before she could this on DVD. It was OOP on VHS for many, many years.

Interesting film in the career of Frank Langella!

A cult film of sorts.

http://www.wbshop.com/Sphinx/1000151967,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVE

1981SphinxPoster.jpg

June 1 titles have been announced:

Five Star Final (1931)

Verboten! (1958)

Red Skelton?s ?Whistling? Trilogy - 3 Disc Collection (Whistling in the Dark, Whistling in Dixie, Whistling in Brooklyn)

Going Wild (1930)

Sit Tight (1931)

Tenderfoot, The (1932)

Alibi Ike (1935)

The Fourth Protocol (1987)

Hide in Plain Sight (1980)

Love and Money (1982)

Love Child (1982)

The Saint of Fort Washington (1992)

Two on a Guillotine (1964)

Five Star does sound good...the other on this list I might be interested in is 2 on a guillotine - has anyone seen this or have any comments on it ?

I received e-mail today too. I wonder if all future Archives will be remastered and hopefully the price won't go beyond $19.95. Still, I am being very selective. Spent a bundle on new releases lately including many pre-orders for Blu Ray discs.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Edge, I can't recall if mentioned it before but it was info I was sitting on from my trip to WB, that they will be offering new DVD titles remastered. The offical email went out today and includes that Five Star Final as one of them:

>

> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4686382094_fdd41cfdb4_b.jpg'>http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4686382094_fdd41cfdb4_b.jpg'>http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4686382094_fdd41cfdb4_b.jpg'>http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4686382094_fdd41cfdb4_b.jpg

>

filmlover:

This link you posted takes us to the cover of "The Detectives" comic book.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4686382094_fdd41cfdb4_b.jpg

Delightful news, a bunch of classics just announced (and with nice cover art!):

Bureau of Missing Persons

Fog Over Frisco

Girl from 10th Avenue

Madame X (1929 and 1937 double bill)

Come Live With Me

The Gorgeous Hussy

Conquest

Navy Blues

Make Me A Star/Merton of the Movies double bill

You Can't Escape Forever/Love Is On the Air

Hell's Heroes/Three Godfathers (1936) double bill

http://www.wbshop.com/New-Releases/ARCHIVENEW,default,sc.html?adid=WACSwpsBnr10&src=EDWAC

Very nice title, but I think these are movies I can really do without although I would like to see some of the early ones at least once. I am trying to be very selective in my purchases from WB. I bought the Red Skelton set and the Musical Shorts box.

The Archives have released several Sheridan titles including: JUKE GIRL, THE UNFAITHFUL and NORA PRENTISS.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> I received e-mail today too. I wonder if all future Archives will be remastered and hopefully the price won't go beyond $19.95. Still, I am being very selective. Spent a bundle on new releases lately including many pre-orders for Blu Ray discs.

I just looked at their new sale and I see that the remastered titles are costing $24.95 each before the sale discount. Raising the price from $19.95 to $24.95 due to remastering is a step in the wrong direction. I hesitate on a number of titles at $19.95, but placing them at $24.95 makes me write them off altogether. I can get a special DVD or Blu for that price.

Here are some more titles due out on July. OK, but nothing really here to interest me.

Lana Turner (Not really her best):

"These Glamour Girls'' (1939)

"The Dancing Co-Ed'' (1939)

"Two Girls on Broadway'' (1940)

"Slightly Dangerous'' (1943)

"Keep Your Powder Dry'' (1945)

"Cass Timberlane'' (1947)

Would be interested in FLAME AND THE FLESH and THE MERRY WIDOW also with Turner if they were forthcoming.

Other titles:

"Vagabond Lady'' (1935)

"Mister Cinderella'' (1936)

"Nobody's Baby'' (1937)

More unknown titles to me :)

I bought a bunch ( well 8 ) Archive DVDs including

Bureau of Missing Persons

Fog over Frisco

Girl From 10th Avenue

Madame X 1929/1937 ( I did rent the 1937 version & liked it)

Come Live with Me

Five Star Final ( Great flick)

Verboten (also good)

2 on a Guillotine ( blech!!)

Anyway based on my likes I again wonder if these Lana Turner movies might be of interest

Im still waiting for Stranger on the 3rd Floor - what are they waiting for - a lunar eclipse ? :)

Just ordered the Hal Roach feature titles: VAGABOND LADY (1935) MISTER CINDERELLA (1936) and NOBODY'S BABY (1937). Still a good period from the Hal Roach Studio.

I'd always heard that the Hal Roach film library belonged to Hallmark. Now the release of these three Hal Roach films through the Archives makes me wonder. Exactly what films, including those of Laurel and Hardy, does Warner Brothers have rights to? What about the Roach shorts including those of Patsy Kelly, Thelma Todd, and Charley Chase? Just wondering. If they own them it would be nice to see them come out through the Archives since it is obvious Hallmark isn't interested in doing anything with them, at least in Region 1.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> I'd always heard that the Hal Roach film library belonged to Hallmark. Now the release of these three Hal Roach films through the Archives makes me wonder. Exactly what films, including those of Laurel and Hardy, does Warner Brothers have rights to? What about the Roach shorts including those of Patsy Kelly, Thelma Todd, and Charley Chase? Just wondering. If they own them it would be nice to see them come out through the Archives since it is obvious Hallmark isn't interested in doing anything with them, at least in Region 1.

>

Hal Roach had been distributing his films through MGM since 1927. In 1937 he decided he wanted to switch his films' distribution to United Artists. But as it was explained to me years ago, Roach still had time left on his MGM deal, and in order for him to get out of the deal early MGM said okay you can go to UA, but to cancel your contract early we want to retain ownership of some of your feature films.

I'm not sure how these were selected as the films that stayed with MGM, but these are the seven Roach features:

Fra Diavolo (The Devil's Brother) (1933)

Vagabond Lady (1935)

Bonnie Scotland (1935)

Mister Cinderella (1936)

General Spanky (1936)

Nobody's Baby (1937)

Pick a Star (1937)

They have always been part of the MGM TV packages and basically considered MGM movies, not Hal Roach movies ever since then.

So that is why many of these movies have been shown on TCM, released on video or DVD by MGM, or, Warner Archives in the case of these new releases.

Any Hal Roach experts out there are welcome to add more info...

With the arrival of the Lana Turner ( :x ) films, I decided to pick up Somewhere I'll Find You...along with two non-Turner films: Love on the Run and The Mad Miss Manton. They arrived today, in great condition, but Somewhere has a few parts where it skips. I don't mind, but can anyone else say that this has happened with their Somewhere disc?

Edgecliff ,

Wow, they are really releasing allot of Lana Turner titles at one time. I think there are some good films is there. I really like SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS.